Dropshort gets collar felt for suggesting Coup

Monty Python did not at any time call for Christians to be attacked in an evil manner.
Personally I think the right to comically and otherwise verbally attack any religion should be upheld.
We know that with Islam this is not the case.
They've joked in interviews that they didn't fancy making a "Life of Mo" as they were quite keen on staying alive as long as possible

Monty Python did not at any time call for Christians to be attacked in an evil manner.
Personally I think the right to comically and otherwise verbally attack any religion should be upheld.
We know that with Islam this is not the case.
Always one isn't there.

A hate crime to me, is a disabled bloke having his window put through constantly by kids who abuse him on the way to the supermarket because of his disability.

A transgender women being shouted at and abused by a drunk bloke shouting “she has a penis” at the top of his voice while she tries to work in a busy shop to provide a living for herself.

Or a black family who have moved into a new house to find a letter pushed through their door with racial abuse on it. Both parents working 2 jobs, the kids working hard at school and having never been in trouble before. Just to better themselves.

These are 3 of the Hate Crimes that I personally have dealt with in the last few years. Happy to help these people if I possibly can.
That's nice, dear.

I'm offended that being of pensionable age is not a protected characteristic.

Last edited:
That's nice, dear.

I'm offended that age over being of pensionable age is not a protected characteristic.
My point being that Hate Crimes aren’t limited to nasty comments on the internet. Those that are, in my experience are dealt with proportionately, often with informal words of advice
These words of advice are then often trumpeted by those given them to the press in order to reinforce a point they have.

My point being that Hate Crimes aren’t limited to nasty comments on the internet. Those that are, in my experience are dealt with proportionately, often with informal words of advice
These words of advice are then often trumpeted by those given them to the press in order to reinforce a point they have.
Right.

I'm surprised none of those acts were actual crimes worth responding to until they became Hate Crimes.

I look forward to murder being upgraded to Hate Murder in order to improve the clear up rates.

If someone makes a threat of violence via electronic means and subsequently carries it out without police intervention, then you would be hard pressed to justify that the means of delivering the threat was irrelevant.
" There ought to be " is hardly " Rise to me , storm the battlements , hang them all from the nearest gibbet ! " though , is it , especially when uttered on twatter by a 57y/o ex Gunner with no standing or position whatsoever in Her Majesty's armed forces .

I am well aware of the reasons as to why you would want to visit, the same as I am aware that many people who rant online are supposed to have MH issues. However, it does seem to me that too many forces go straight for the overkill option.
This is my opinion. You may not agree with it, but it is one that I am not alone in sharing. And I ain't exactly 'anti plod' now am I?
It might be several other very simple reasons for visiting:

•You might not have the phone number for that person
• You have your 'to do list' and it just happens that passing by on route to something else means you can bosh it off quickly.

Most coppers / pcsos ( who frequently get this type of job) are quite keen to sort out if it's genuine and therefore needs actual work to follow up or in the majority of cases bat it off either into the metaphorical bin or to the relevant agency (MH / council etc) to deal.

The problem lies in the fact that in the event that the comments made are indeed genuine threats but were dealt with by a comment on the log saying "sent letter on this date saying don't be silly, please file" and nothing else then that officer will be crucified. Better to carry out what could be a 2 min face to face chat..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's known as 'Coppers' knock'. Which alights on the door with the force of a fairy's fart and following a nanosecond waited for a reply, a beating of the retreat to the car and the safety of the nick, where the Sergeant is assured that 'a calling card has been left [of course it has];. He/She will pretend to believe you whilst holding up their mug with an eyebrow raised...at which point a real call comes in and the wheels promptly fall off...

How does the the plod pop round for a chat work?

Do they knock on the door and ask to come in, what if you say no, do they then arrest you. No offence but your not coming in my house with out a warrant, end off.
Jut that - we ask to have a word. If you say no then that's that for the moment. If there is a crime report and you are the suspect we'll ask you in for interview. If that doesn't work then yes, we'll nick you to progress it.

How does the the plod pop round for a chat work?

Do they knock on the door and ask to come in, what if you say no, do they then arrest you. No offence but your not coming in my house with out a warrant, end off.
See what happened to the YouTuber Crimebodge for an example.

Jut that - we ask to have a word. If you say no then that's that for the moment. If there is a crime report and you are the suspect we'll ask you in for interview. If that doesn't work then yes, we'll nick you to progress it.
If there is no crime report then there is no need to visit in the first instance.

If there is no crime report then there is no need to visit in the first instance.
Depends - we might pop round to see what's been going on or get the other side of the story. Every call is different and sometimes 'words of advice' are all that is needed.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
He is the one who had decided to highlight it in the press. Funnily enough at the same time as his book is released.
Or perhaps he informed the Px because he thought it was overkill ?

I can't understand why the Police themselves didn't make this public, it's not as if it would make them look like cnuts, merely ensuring that others understood how seriously they take such threats.
Well, how seriously they take such threats unless they're made by famous left-leaning people.
Or are comedians a protected species now ?

Should a similar visit have been made to Jo Brand it would only strengthen their case of evenhandedness to say so - or does that come under a privacy law ?
Serious question.

OK, let’s consider the following:

• Bloke has history of mental health issues (PTSD).
  • On social media he continues to wear uniform (or parts thereof) 30-odd years after leaving the army.
  • He supports (in an on-line statement) a coup.
  • He (apparently) has a history of posting politically motivated and aggressive messages.
  • He’s not a comedian.
Now if this doesn’t begin to raise slight concerns about his wellbeing and that of those around him...what would?

The local rags take, comments are quite entertaining.
War veteran quizzed by cops after joke 'military coup' tweet

I do like the fact that the "'heavy handed' police could have made him 'take his own life'", I mean jesus; what does he do when the car insurance renewal arrives?

The line 'suitable advice given', means it was a LOB job and you need to stick something on the log to make it go away which is vague enough to get past the log Police who will hunt you down days afterward to second guess your write up and try to create more work for you in the interest of ticking the HO counting rules box.

OK, let’s consider the following:

• Bloke has history of mental health issues (PTSD).
  • On social media he continues to wear uniform (or parts thereof) 30-odd years after leaving the army.
  • He supports (in an on-line statement) a coup.
  • He (apparently) has a history of posting politically motivated and aggressive messages.
  • He’s not a comedian.
Now if this doesn’t begin to raise slight concerns about his wellbeing and that of those around him...what would?

I think those points apply to a considerable amount of ARRSE users.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W The Intelligence Cell 23
P Old & Bold 0
OldSnowy Gunners 113