Dropping of PFT for TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by junglist01, Nov 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone comfirm if they have heard this as well ,that they have dropped the PFT for the TA unless you are going to be Deployed....

2. You have got to be kidding!

I sincerely hope that you've heard wrong.

3. 3 letters went out at about the same time which said 3 different things. Just tell the pie eaters its still on, to be on the safe side

4. Our pie eaters never even attempt it, never mind pass 1 !!!!!!

5. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

The letter accompanying the first revision of MATT and the TA Bounty says that the PFT is no longer to be a Bounty earning test because it is not gender-neutral. The letter does NOT say TA don't have to do it, just that a PFT pass will no longer be a Bounty-earning requirement.

Such a test should "not be used to select individuals for reward or advancement". The letter does go on to say the focus for TA should be on the CFT rather than just personal fitness.

I have to say that the Annex to the letter, which sets out the required standards isn't particularly clear as it still lists the PFT as a requirement.

6. Again another document from the powers that be, that is clear as mud, surely that new that it wasnt gender-neutral when when it was introduced.

7. It is still a requirement for all personnel to attempt a PFT at least once a year. All personnel should, naturally, pass! Failing the PFT is covered in the MATT documentation and should lead to training and retesting and AGAI 67 action if no improvement is achieved. Quite how this is to be enacted in a TA environment is unclear.

To achieve bounty it is no longer a requirement to pass PFT. It has not been stated whether it is a nationwide TA requirement to attempt a PFT to qualify for bounty but most units (and those whom I have spoken to) believe it to be. Hopefully there will be clarification on this as there is a chance of two different interpretations.

Be on the safe side - do the PFT.

8. No good idea ever included the phrase "gener neutral".
    If it's true, whoever came up with this should fcuk off back to the Guardian.

9. msr

msr LE

10. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

To be fair the (revolting I agree) phrase wasn't used in the letter itself - it's my interpretation of what they meant.

I think you will find it has to do with equality and pay and all that malarkey.

11. Just out of interest surely the test has seperate standards between genders why isn't it gender neutral already?

12. loggie mate of mine seems to think the PFT is still a bounty requirement... PFT is a test, whereas the BPFA was an Assessment, sort of makes sense by the wording that its needed to pass...

13. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

UFF - I've explained it badly. The test cannot be used as bounty earning one because male and female standards differ.

MikeL - your "loggie mate" is wrong. I have the letter in front of me. I quote "we have removed a PFT pass as a Bounty requirement".

14. What a load of nonsense. And we wonder why some of the regulars don't take us seriously? One Army my arse. Don't tell the fat pie eaters - instead tell them there's a pie at the end of it for them, and have the duty officer follow up in the rear with the mess webley to put any of the bloaters that can't pass out of their misery. Death before dishonour and all that. What what.

15. msr

msr LE

From where? I don't see it in TA Regs...

msr