Dropped out of uni

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Citizen, Oct 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I left uni at the end of my second year reading law after I ballsed up a module. I hated the subject as soon as I began, persevered for the first year and got a 2:1 average, but then stopped trying.

I got a lot out of uni though, and was a nominee as my hall's rep, helped start a new sports society etc.

I also got lucky and have some bewilderingly good work experience for my age - I must have been the most underqualified team leader and project manager in the UK when I did those jobs, but they gave me heaps of responsibility and scope for leadership.

I'd like to join the QRLs (or maybe the 9/12s, but everybody seems to hate their guts) as an officer - has my university debacle made that impossible, or could it be overlooked? I can see all sorts of commitment questions being levelled at me but I'm confident I was right in not taking a resit and carrying on, especially since as a Manx resident it was costing >£10,000 a year for the privilege. Does anybody know of any successful hopefuls who were in a similar situation when they joined up?

Cheers.

2. the vast majority of new officers have degree's....and I imagine the majority of those who don't are currently serving soldiers looking to make the step up...or ar something really special. Have you considered regular entry?

3. Go down to your local ACIO anf have a chat with them. You will get a far better answer directly from them.

4. I'd take a long hard look at using the time you already have to count towards some sort of degree, even in another field. Philosophy for example is a piece of piss if you can write waffle.

Even if you don't get an honours degree, if you stay on for three years you will get an "ordinary" or "general" which is far better than nowt.

Seems these days you need a degree just to sweep up so consider how likely you will be to get a job after 22 years in the army if you have no paperwork.

hope it works out for you whatever you choose to do.

5. my bold.
    You didnt get a degree though!!

One thing that would be a defo question is why did you quit uni? they may seem to think that you go in to things half heartedly. they will take some convincing that army officer is right for you and you will need to display and have examples of the moral fibre that is required to start something and see it through.

Be prepared to have your answers ready and think them through first before answering. best thing to do is pre empt what they are going to say and have an answer for them. that would put you in good stead.

I know a few officers that jacked halfway through uni no problem. however one of them is a complete cnut!!

Good luck

6. Joining Cav?

Sod the degree you need to be rich!

7. I know what I would do (hint: it involves getting a grip and going back to uni and well, that's it really).

8. You could always see if what you have done of your degree so far can count as points towards an OU degree, join up as a tom and finish your degree in your own time before applying for commision.
    Though there could be a bit of red tape, i know a lad with a psychology degree whos been in almost 2 years and still as near to going to sandhurst as he was his first day of basic

9. Join as a crewman. You're lack of commitment, qualification and determination to succeed, won't matter then.

10. I can't resume legal studies at the uni I just left, so for those suggesting that, it might be the best idea but it's not a possibility. My first year would count towards an OU degree in in just about anything I felt like outside the applied sciences, but not the second year. I checked specifically with Politics, Philosophy and English (subjects I'm actually interesting in this time as opposed to ones my parents would think are suitable), and I can transfer credits towards each of those.

I'm aware that upwards of 80% of newly commissioned officers hold degrees, but then again we're approaching the point where 50% of all Britons of typical undergraduate age are going to uni, so that is really far from surprising.

'Joining Cav? Sod the degree you need to be rich!' - I'm far from rich, but I'm not straight out of Watford either. Unless you literally mean there are far higher costs just in their general lifestyle I don't think I'd have a problem fitting in (unless I'm just a total bell-end anyway and hadn't noticed!).

'Join as a crewman. You're lack of commitment, qualification and determination to succeed, won't matter then.' - Enticing prospect. Is that how you think of all the ORs, or are you merely suggesting that an unmotivated flop would be no less able to handle the job? If this is the attitude I'd need to be a successful officer, I can already tell I won't cut it.

One other thing is that I'll be 22 in a couple of days, so I'm already older than the average Sandhurst entrant. It'd take a minimum of two years to get a degree, so I'd be 24 or 25 just when I applied depending on whether I could study full- or part-time. Give it six months turnaround to interview me, go through the AOSB and all that and wait for the next intake at Sandhurst and I'd be pushing the age limits. Do you really recommend that I do that as opposed to throwing myself in now? The pay's lower for non-graduate entrants, and I assume that the Lieutenant/Captain jump takes longer, but that aside, if I can prove I have what it takes, would it really in any way affect my ability?

I'm writing horrifically long posts - sorry about that.

11. Talk to a careers officer; you'll be able to get sound advice about degrees, age limits et al from him.

12. Not true - if 80% go with degrees and it takes three years to get a degree with most people leaving school at 18 the average age will not be as low as 21. A couple of years ago the average was 24\25 and I suspect it remains at that level now.

Go onto the Officers forum and read the threads about grad vs non-grad, getting a degree etc. You are not the first in this situation and the consensus is that it is better to get a degree.

13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You're writing well crafted and reasoned posts whilst using them to needle people who are giving you sound advice. Age is less important than commitment and maturity and biscuits-ab was making a valid point that you seem to show neither in your decision to drop out of university and you will need to have good reasons when you appear in front of the army. Your case it not helped by having failed your second year since it may appear that you're joining the army as a desperate measure with no other option. Again, you need to have some good answers to that.

Finally, as an ex-mil employer of ex-mil people I can say that we look for graduates from the forces first. The army may be a career and you may make CDS, but the likelihood is that you'll leave some time before that. Make sure you have a fall back plan.

14. I'll head in to the AFCO tomorrow and hear what their opinion is. I suppose an upside of hacking on and getting an OU degree (aside from the degree itself) is that I'd have a couple of years to mull it over and make sure it's what I really want to do. I have no doubt at the moment, but a few years of 'real life' would either convince me that it's all I want to do or persuade me otherwise.

The downside's the same thing, though - a few years of inane salary-monkey, non- career-building work that I'll be dying to get out of. Starting a new degree outside OU isn't financially viable for me, since the Isle of Man doesn't even count as a European country for most universities in England and therefore the fees are through the roof, especially given that I'm ineligible for student loans (part of the reason why I didn't appeal for resits in the first place - I couldn't justify paying that amount for a course I wasn't interested in when I was limited to a 2:2 at the highest due to that second year being capped at 40% if I passed after resits).

I don't mean for what I just wrote to imply that I'm not willing to work hard to get myself through to where I need to be, just that the prospect of spending a further few years doing the best job I could find just to pay the bills whilst I study for an Open degree whilst instead I could apply to the Army now, explain why I chose not to fight to continue my course, and hopefully prove myself suitable for Sandhurst by the time I'd be a third of the way through a second attempt at a degree is soul-destroying.

I can see how my decision to drop out looks immature, but I'd contest that it was the opposite: I chose law because I was steered into something deemed suitable by my parents and school, lapped it up, got a place at a top five uni, stuck with it for more than a year and -then- realised it wasn't worth it. I was doing law for everybody else but myself, and therefore lacked interest and motivation, whilst I'd be joining the Army for me, which is the best root of commitment. I know that those of you who disagree will rip me apart on that one, and maybe I'm wrong. I'll see what they have to say at the AFCO and then try to plan how to sort my life out.

15. Is there something you haven't mentioned,why can't you resume the legal studies,did you get nicked?

You're already admitting you won't cut it.....I think you're talking yourself out of this idea and you're probably right. :?