Drop middle-class academic subjects says schools adviser

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ord_Sgt, Jun 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It's from the Daily Hate but has to be based on some level of truth. It just shows they've really lost the plot now though.

I'm not really sure how they are going to be a sucessfull entrepeneur if they can't add and have no understanding of the world around them through science, history and geography.

The mans a nutcase and needs to be told so.

Full story.
  2. Presumably another example of this government's policies that are based on envy, malice and hate.

Level everyone down to the lowest common denominator and you, the ruling elite, will have no serious opposition to contend with.
  3. its a nice theory and with an unlimited budget could be made to work. :roll:
    but thats all it is its a theory.
    I bet India and china would be keen on the uk following that route :twisted:

better limited subjects taught well and rigorously than 100's taught poorly. :(
  4. engr172

engr172 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

The man is an arrse...and what will he have a Phd in.....Social Values? Fukk off and crawl back under your rock you sanctimonious T!T. If people have no education and understand the basics of the world around them, how can they understand social values and how they fit in to the world?
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Good news. Having eaten more dinners than I will eat, the last thing I want in my declining years is a bunch of smart kids coming up behind me. Teach them to put their bins out on the right day and how Polar bears dont like the warm weather.

I'll continue to make a decent crust using the brain God gave me, honed by years of learning about useful stuff. Sorted.
  6. Hmmm, so the governamnt want to stop young people develop critical reasoning facilities based on rigourous study of real academic subjects, and replace them with government-approved courses on 'values'? So the governemnt decides what values the individual should hold now? I wonder what values those will be- I won't have my kids brainwashed by some commie into believing in 'Valuing personal relationships' (IE being a p*ssy unable to protect themselves) 'being a caring and tolerant citizen' (IE tolerant of the government taking every penny you earn and giving it to dolescum) 'entrepreneurial' (which is opposite to every other recommendation) 'able to manage risk' (in our risk free everyone's a winner society) and 'committed to sustainable development' (swallow every enviro-hippies pet project without having learnt science to realise whats scientific and whats b*llsh1t). Basically, we'll end up competing against 1.2billion chinamen who get paid fcuk all and are still desperate to work with a load of mongs who can't even read or write, are incapable of technical or business innovation, and are still too expensive to hire because of social overheads...

Again, drag 'em all out and shoot them, every politician, civil servant, quango member etc....
  7. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Until your rapidly aging body starts to fail and you need a doctor. Then you will get the best and brightest of retards poking and prodding you :lol:
  8. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Indeed. All these people throughout the course of history who've learned their social values through the education they've received and the life they've experienced are apparently not good enough and we have to bypass the actual "living" stage and indoctrinate standard values at school.

9. Surely teaching energy saving would involve Science, Geography and a little History......
  10. If you don't know where you've come from, going forward can be a bit of an arrse...so both history and geography could be pretty important - metaphorically and in reality. Unless of course you are some hippy one world idealist who thinks apologising to the ghanaians for buying slaves from them is what history is all about.
  11. As a university Admissions Officer, I'd like to say a big 'Fcuk off' to this twat.

If he and his ilk are so damn good at their job of advising pupils on their educational futures, why are so many students arriving on degree programmes completely out of their depth and either transferring to BA Flower Arranging with Fluffy Kittens or dropping out entirely?
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I think there is an article in the Independent about a University the is re-introducing entrance exams for its students as the A levels they take now are crap.

Found the article linky.
  13. Yes, Imperial college - ranked 5th in the world - has stated that A levels are pants and are instituting an admissions exam. So tell me Ed, is it Balls by name and Balls by nature?
  14. ... you're forgetting the AGW Religious school which requires only that one believes whatever one is told.
  15. Hell, Law and Medicine have been using Aptitude Tests for years to filter out the A students from the A++++ and A+++++++ students.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the teaching profession needs to sort its own shit out first before it starts laying in to others. Giving some indication of actual pupil ability would be a good start.

What's most worrying to me, professionally, is that the same ethos is creeping up into FE/HE as well. Get the bloody accountants out of the big seats and remember that there are no such things as customers in education. They're not paying for anything other than to find out exactly where they stand in the grand scheme of things.