Drones el cheapo

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
ok so they may not be as high tech as the ones the septics play with, but the latest maplin drones seem to do lots of useful stuff, I am considering getting one for surveys, save lots of time with customers leaky gutters and roof etc, whizz up snap and away I go
my nephew reports that a farmer in NZ uses one every morning to fly a pre programmed route and survey his stock, he thens runs it trhough in double time and can see where he is needed ( its about 2Ks worth)
now these litte maplins fellucas start at 340 quid up to 900 quid complete with camera and GPS and link in real time to a smarphone
so what would you use one for, and what bad things do you think they will get used for ?
might be useful for keeping an eye on my missus make sure she is doing the gardening properly, or the gits on the local housing estate to see whose crop is ready to harvest. or taking pictures of the doggers up shab hill ??

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/dji-phantom-fc40-quadcopter-drone-n09dq

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We had a wedding at the hotel recently where they had an aerial phot taken of the guests all stood on the lawn in front of the place.

The bloke charged them a couple of hundred quid for it.

Definite business idea. 3 or 4 weddings and you've paid it off.

The South Koreans have found a couple of North Korean drones of Chinese manufacture crashed on their territory. Turns out they were bought off Taobao, the PRC's eBay equivalent.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
There was a spate of (similar to what Ravers has said) professional photographers taking pictures of peoples houses as well as weddings, although back in the day they were using balloons, and ISTR that they charged about £100 for a framed pic.

I suspect the same sort of people will upgrade and crack on..

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Search and rescue charity I'm involved in (www.serveon.org.uk) uses one to assist in surveying search areas. Great bit of kit.

Gleeses

Swinger
We had a wedding at the hotel recently where they had an aerial phot taken of the guests all stood on the lawn in front of the place.

The bloke charged them a couple of hundred quid for it.

Definite business idea. 3 or 4 weddings and you've paid it off.
And there is a big profit margin too. Mate of mine worked for a company called SkyTrax Aviation and sold pictures for £30. HIS friend who is currently working for them sells them £80-£100.

The pictures -framed n all - cost less than 5 quid each to put together.

If he got the drone he could cut out the middle man and do it alone. The downfall with selling pre-photographed homes is you either sell them or you don't. And you need to have a high sale to loss ratio to make it worth while.

This way with a drone you can go to some goons house and ask if they'd like a pic taken. Get them to pay when it's done then send them the finished result when framed. Easy monies

You also need a CAA exemption certificate to operate for profit. That cert will cost you about £1800.

Actual cert will cost £1050, it's insurance that costs the extra.

Last edited:
I saw an article in the news a few weeks ago about criminals getting hold of drones with thermal imagers on them and using them to spot cannabis farms from afar by looking for hotspots, And then turning over said cannabis farms for a couple of thousand on the hope that the owner is just a kindly hippie.

anyone know where they're selling drones, thermal imagers and police uniforms?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I saw an article in the news a few weeks ago about criminals getting hold of drones with thermal imagers on them and using them to spot cannabis farms from afar by looking for hotspots, And then turning over said cannabis farms for a couple of thousand on the hope that the owner is just a kindly hippie.

anyone know where they're selling drones, thermal imagers and police uniforms?
contact ACAB he has the deal all tied up, your local masonic Lodge will have his details !!

Sadly I don't think it will be long before we get the first terrorist EOD drone.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Sadly I don't think it will be long before we get the first terrorist EOD drone.
I used to buy stuff from tandys years ago ( radio shack stateside) they stopped selling mercury tilt switches amongst other things for the same reason
the other worry is that if one of these drones is used to spy on you how do you knobble it
i can envisage a clever teenager hijacking them
mind it would be useful with tower blocks you could scoot around and see who is dealing, save lots of legwork for the police

Will somebody check my maths...

11.1V, 700mAh battery, that's 3.12 Ampere minutes and 34.6W. 3.12W power consumption. So 11 minutes until the battery is totally drained.

Don't want it to crash, so you want to land it at half-charge (it'll be set for something like this). So outward flight maximum 4 minutes then the software takes over and brings it back.

Speed 10m/s or 22mph, so it's at maximum (300m) range in 30 seconds.

Allows you to voyeur through a chink in the bedroom curtains for 3.5 minutes.

Only thing, when it uses GPS to return to the launch site, will it avoid the houses in the way?

Please expand skunkmeister..linky?
I have completed my ground training and passed that was £700.
I have also paid for my Flight exam and that was about £350. I'll get round to my flight exam at some time but I'm busy at the moment.
You also have to write an operations manual as per proper commercial passenger / freight companies, you then need to log all flights, training, incidents etc. Because you must operate as a professional flying business,

I did my training with these guys who operate on behalf of the CAA
http://www.eurousc.com/

Edited as I have just checked the costs

TBH I'm surprised they haven't done that ages ago , some of those RC jet's can do 300 mph + and would be bloomin difficult to stop and given the size of them could carry a fair payload , kind of a poor mans javelin .

I ran through a couple of hypothetical "what if" and "would it be possible to" applications along those lines whilst helping the nipper put together his quadcopter.

Tempted as I am to big myself up with my [limited] knowledge of quadcopters I will not share the applications of the technology I came up with.

Skunky, the thing fly's..........a bit like Trigger's broom though, a couple of new motors and several new spars. I will post pics, honest.

TBH I'm surprised they haven't done that ages ago , some of those RC jet's can do 300 mph + and would be bloomin difficult to stop and given the size of them could carry a fair payload , kind of a poor mans javelin .
You've seen the "model rocket's". You know, the ones as big as missiles, just as fast and reasonably accurate.

Well, a plod wocka had one fired at it in the US, near miss. They reckoned it was around 6 - 8 feet long, which would have bought the wocka down nicely if it had connected.

What is more scary is that the new Octocopter systems such as the DJI S 1000 with lightbridge can have a 5km range and even worse they can be programmed to follow waypoints.
A true fire and forget weapon with the range just less than a mortar and the ability to carry 10kg.

I don't think these things will be quite so easy to get hold of soon. Sadly the bloody things will probably also ruin another hobby of mine which is the normal RC aeroplanes by getting the whole lot banned.

As I recall this footage in February

Was filmed with one of these:
ImageUploadedByARRSE1400134330.479523.jpg

By a local photographer.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads