Drone vs Drone war

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by TheIronDuke, Jan 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

If you have managed to get out of the house recently you will know that China and Japan are nose to nose over the Malvinas. Or the local equivalent.

The Japs are buying advanced drones from the Septics and the Chinese are cloning them. The grown-ups feel this will lead to the first Drone vs Drone war. Where the boots on the ground are 3,000 miles away and clock off at the end of their shift then go for a beer and a burger.

So, my question... Could / can super smart drones make badly dressed soldiers obsolete?
  2. Yes, my AR Drone annoys the hell out of my neighbour as I perv through her windows in the hopes of a glimpse.
  3. Not unless they can operate independently of a control system. Otherwise I'd imagine that EW would seriously limit their use against a technologically advanced adversary. It's certainly possible to build a UAV that could operate independently but I fear it'd inevitably result in unfortunate targeting mistakes.

I suppose a way round it could be to establish sterile areas and let the drones fly around attacking anything in the area a bit like a fenced area with a psycho attack dog or a minefield.
  4. TheIronDuke

Sorry. Had I wanted the view of Wi-Fi sex criminals I would have titled the post

But I did not. So **** off Wi-Fi sex criminal and keep your filthy secrets to yourself.
    • Like Like x 6
  5. TheIronDuke

They cannot. The operator is 3,000 miles away. They have ROE and a CoC. But they are thousands of miles away. Bits of plastic and tech, buzzing about the place. And soon, they will be shooting the shit out of each other.

Then the winner will have the airspace. And thus, the bit underneath.
  6. Yes but if you jam the **** out of them they can't hear the CoC and would have to either not engage anything or engage something based on their own interpretation of the ROE which it won't be that subtle and would probably result in all sorts getting brassed up. So only really usable as an area denial weapon without a direct control link.
  7. They are certainly the wave of the future. The Israelis's have some top line kit which we are buying, AKA Watchkeeper. Gawd know's why it's taking so long to become operational, especially as we are effectively leasing the same kit from the Israelis whilst our version is faffed around with. Why not just buy it off the shelf?The burning question for RAF UAV operators I'd guess is, "What star rating hotel do we get to stay at? Higher, lower or the same as aircrew?"And, yes, I know Watchkeeper is an Army system.
  8. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Only boots on the ground means that the ground is taken. Even with the undoubted advantage of drones, some poor bugger has to drop via parachute, fall off a helicopter, run ashore from a floaty thing or simply walk there, but it has to be done. Twas always so.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. So Douglas Bader et al get replaced by a fat kid on a playstation. ******* beautiful.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. We're currently using the same kit as the Israelis. Hermes 450 is the base airframe for WATCHKEEPER but sensor wise WATCHKEEPER is streets ahead and should be in service very soon. For a fairly comprehensive and relatively up to date view on it this article is good Watchkeeper Then and Now | Think Defence.
  11. I assume the septics have built targeting mistakes in to the operating system along with automatically uploaded excuses to CNN an d Al jezera.

Like your area denial concept. That could work.
  12. Awesome! No longer will the airsoft types have to walt it up - they will be the future CGS, CDS, etc! Some asthmatic, spectacled acne-ridden fat bloater getting medalled whilst the muscular, athletic dinosaurs of a bygone era fetch him more batteries!
  13. On the plus side, it won't be too difficult to get their legs off.

Sent from my ASTROPLUS using Tapatalk 2
  14. Drones could be accompanied by drones packing ALARM.
  15. That is rather harsh. I hope you draw your curtains of a night.