Drone disrupting flights from LGW this morning

Quoting self for @Ravers; as we found out the pictures are pants on the cheapo drones. Also we found out that they f**k off as soon as you move the sticks, and then they lose contact with the controller. Reading your Hobby Drones thread, agreed there is no comparison with the drone you're now using.

[ Christmas post] Drones can be good, and they can be deadly. Got a little one for £80 for the grandkids last summer for use on the field, out of harm's way, we thought. The little wi-fi VR pocket drone (140x80x70mm folded) in its carry case with all the gubbins, easily fits into a little day sack. It's only 295x285x65mm when unfolded, weighs 133g, and you get about 8 minutes flight from the charge.

It hovers nicely at 50-60ft and revolves for 360 video or photos. The kids can even make it hover nicely in the front room. For beginners a stationery hover at height over nice landscapes will get you decent footage worth watching. It's when you start moving it that the problems start. Chances are it will just fcuk off like ours did.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Quoting self for @Ravers; as we found out the pictures are pants on the cheapo drones. Also we found out that they f**k off as soon as you move the sticks, and then they lose contact with the controller. Reading your Hobby Drones thread, agreed there is no comparison with the drone you're now using.
Yep.

I would not a buy a non DJI drone now, having experienced what else is out there.

And there is a DJI model for every budget and every requirement.

The Tello at 100 quid is an absolute blinder of a little drone and the only one I’d buy at that price point.

I would not a buy a non DJI drone now, having experienced what else is out there.
DJI control 80%+ of the market in consumer drones. For most people unless you have an over riding requirement to use something else it is a bit of a no brainer. I have a DJI but I am not entirely happy with DJI's near monopoly inthe market.

A Lot of Americans are paranoid that as DJI are Chinese they are SPYING ONTHE USA !!!!!! Despite the fact that many Americans also complain that DJI are "over zealous" with the pre-programmed No Fly Zones (NFZ) in DJI drones that stop them flying in restricted or sensitive airspace.

If you really want a non-DJI drone there are a few other consumer drone makers about. Though for how much longer is another question given they are fighting for less than 20% of the marker. Mind you Apple was inthe same position re computers for years.

Or you can make your own. There are a lot of places you can get components and there are several Open Source control systems out there. So you can build your own with a custom system as many drone racers do. IT is not that difficult.

In short the author has discovered that no one has any real idea who it was that did fly the drones. IT could have bene an "inside job" Ie a current or former employee at Gatwick then again several state players or terrorists groups could also have done it as they could have worked out most of the same information themselves.

I do know that "some" of the sitings by the pubic were of an LEA drone. they idea being it could chase/follow the errant drone(s) to a landing place. However most of the sitings were not of the LEA drone.

In case anyone is wondering, Pilots and Controllers have a very special relationship called, er, The Pilot/Controller Relationship. It’s very important and we trust each other implicitly in a 3D world moving at 10 miles a minute.

I have been working near to Royston North Hertfordshire there is lots of local chatter about multiple drone lights that can be seen at night and appear to be linked. Anyone aware ?.

An interesting, and perhaps unsurprising, development; someone 'going postal' with a drone?

'Police have admitted for the first time that the pilot of the drone which brought flights at Gatwick to a chaotic halt before Christmas could have been an “insider” with intimate knowledge of the airport’s layout and procedures. Both Sussex Police and senior Gatwick managers said there is a possibility that the culprit, whose actions caused 1,000 flights to be cancelled and left 140,000 passengers stranded, was operating within the airport complex and may have been watching what was happening on the runway.'

Gatwick drone attack: Airport chief says he would do nothing differently

My
An interesting, and perhaps unsurprising, development; someone 'going postal' with a drone?

'Police have admitted for the first time that the pilot of the drone which brought flights at Gatwick to a chaotic halt before Christmas could have been an “insider” with intimate knowledge of the airport’s layout and procedures. Both Sussex Police and senior Gatwick managers said there is a possibility that the culprit, whose actions caused 1,000 flights to be cancelled and left 140,000 passengers stranded, was operating within the airport complex and may have been watching what was happening on the runway.'

Gatwick drone attack: Airport chief says he would do nothing differently
Surprised face has gone AWOL.