Drone disrupting flights from LGW this morning

Morning all and Happy Xmas

Don’t know if any Arrsers here at LGW but myself and and hundreds if not thousands of passengers are fuming here as flights are delayed if not cancelled due to a drone being carelessly flown near the airspace here.

If there was a need now for counter drone drone to be used may I recommend this one I saw at Helitech Exhibiton two months ago in Amsterdam.

It fires a net to catch the adversary drone

Cheers

B74503E4-B681-4DD1-85D4-1E9B51B076D6.jpeg

A1D70508-E8BB-43BB-AB12-FF07868CA479.jpeg

The media response is just silly, what else were they supposed to do

Airline takes sensible precautions, doesn't make great clickbait though

The media response is just silly, what else were they supposed to do

Airline takes sensible precautions, doesn't make great clickbait though
Haven’t had the pleasure of reading the news just looking on the boards and listening to the announcements..

You’re not stranded here mate are you ?

Cheers

Travel at xmas time, not if I can avoid it

It's bad enough having to be in Snowdonia for 5am, to get an effing parking place

But planes and trains I'll give them a miss for the silly season

If there was a need now for counter drone drone to be used may I recommend this one I saw at Helitech Exhibiton two months ago in Amsterdam.

It fires a net to catch the adversary drone
Problem is that you've got to actually find them first, they're not easy to spot or get close to and usually by the time the police helicopter gets near they've scarpered, however you can't be absolutely positive that they've gone and the helicopter will stop arrivals and departures anyway as it searches.
A lot of people think drones are just harmless toys but this is just one example of how an idiot playing with their toy can cause serious disruption. The other thing people forget about is the weight and speed these things can go at. If one falls on you from any height you're going to get seriously injured. Governments around the world are trying to legislate to improve control of these 'toys' but unfortunately it's a bit too late.

....drones have a flying time of about 30 minute max because of battery life so this can't be an accidental one off if there are continued reports....

I wonder if anything needed our attention diverting from last night...

I’m cynical and sense a bit of problem-reaction....solution.

Grauniad reports that the police say it is drones.

Flights in and out of Gatwick were suspended at about 9pm on Wednesday after two drones were sighted near the airfield.

Orchestrated and deliberate chaos?
Probably triggered gammon remainers desperately wanting something bad to happen to the UK and to hit the headlines

Has Baglock been spotted in the vacinity?

Drone flying at 9pm?
You do wonder if this was a deliberate plan to disrupt things.

I suppose it is a little bit like a hoax bomb threat, vast amount of disruption for the minimum amount of risk and effort. I would imagine the chances of those responsible being caught are minimal to say the least and look what they have achieved.

Drone flying at 9pm?
You do wonder if this was a deliberate plan to disrupt things.

Not just 9pm

“They were over the perimeter fence and into where the runway operates from. They disappeared and reappeared over the night period from 9pm until 3am at which point we reopened the runway. That lasted for 45 minutes before the drones reappeared again."

A cheapish and simple way to blackmail a country. Pay up ££$$€€€ or we will close your airports. Cheap drones, pay disenchanted youth or anarchists to fly from place of cover. Launch drone, cause disruption, dump drone. Rinse and repeat at various airheads over a short period. Loss to a country’s economy £€$m’s.
As pointed out if you are willing to lose the drone bought off gumtree etc then this could pose a serious issue. Surprised Vlad has not yet been linked.

Since DJI, the major drone manufacturer now geofences UK airspace in line with CAA regulations and their app requires you to actively accept/authorise the flight, the chances of this being a misguided low skilled recreational user is very low and that it is something more malicious is very high.

It is possible to hack/jailbreak the drone app, however you are looking at a technical level of competence above the normal joe in the street

E2A: one of the reasons the UK and US Militaries aren't allowed to use DJI is because of ISIS using them in Syria & Iraq. DJI noticed this and switched on geofencing for the region. Realising there was a remote switch (and who knows what othere backdoors) acessible in DJI Shenzhen didn't make it very popular on DOD & MOD property

DJI adds much of Iraq and Syria to its list of no-fly zones for its drones

Of course, this predominantly affected those Jihadis who ensured their app and firmware was up to date and in line with manufacturers guidelines.....

Last edited: