• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Drone Attack on Russia in Syria

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Thought this might be of interest.

Russia uses missiles and cyber warfare to fight off 'swarm of drones' attacking military bases in Syria
The Russian military says it has fought an attack by a swarm of drones launched by jihadists against its bases in Syria. Thirteen attack drones were launched against the Khmeimim air base and a naval facility in the city of Tartus on Syria’s western coast, the Russian defence ministry said.

Russian forces shot down seven of the drones with anti-aircraft missiles while the other six were hacked by a cyberware unit and taken under Russian control, the ministry said. No damage or casualties at the two military bases were reported. The attack appears to be the largest example to date of insurgents using a mass of primitive drones in combat and Russia said it had never before faced such an attack.
I suspect this might become a terrorist weapon of choice, particularly in developed countries where drones can be brought anyway. Fly half a kilo of explosive into a sensitive target then remotely detonate it.

There was also this:
The Russian defence ministry said that “countries with high-technological capabilities” might have supplied materials for the armed drones but did not accuse a specific country. Russia has in the past accused Western and Arab states of deliberately arming jihadist groups in Syria to fight against the Assad regime.
Shades of the aftermath of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan where the West armed the opposition groups. although teaching Islamic organisations to use drones might be a two edged sword.

Wordsmith

Shades of the aftermath of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan where the West armed the opposition groups. although teaching Islamic organisations to use drones might be a two edged sword.Wordsmith
Not exactly like a two edge sword, more like playing Russian roulette with a revolver and pulling the trigger 6 times and not spinning the cylinder.

To be able to hack a drone live isn't it likely to be an off the shelf drone with known vulnerabilities

Otherwise custom hardware, and embedded systems hacked live, surely that's like the infamous scene out of Swordfish someone wildly bashing at a keyboard and 'hacking' a system live...i.e. somewhat unlikely in real life

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
To be able to hack a drone live isn't it likely to be an off the shelf drone with known vulnerabilities

Otherwise custom hardware, and embedded systems hacked live, surely that's like the infamous scene out of Swordfish someone wildly bashing at a keyboard and 'hacking' a system live...i.e. somewhat unlikely in real life
That did strike me as hyperbole. I did wonder if the Russians jammed the control frequency, causing the drones to crash.

This isn't apparently the first time this form of attack has been tried, so I presume the Russians had some defence measures in place.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently wildly bashing at a computer keyboard in Swordfish causes Halle Berry's top to fall off* - a hacking technique that should be encouraged.

Wordsmith

* The $500,000 she was reportedly paid for the topless scene may also have been a factor...

Last edited:
That did strike me as hyperbole. I did wonder if the Russians jammed the control frequency, causing the drones to crash.

This isn't apparently the first time this form of attack has been tried, so I presume the Russians had some defence measures in place.

Wordsmith
Taken under Russian control implies hacking, just jamming the frequency would be a lot more plausible

The more plausible hacking attack is their using some form of toolkit to scan for vulnerabilities in the drone, and then take it over. But still jamming would a lot more reliable I'd have thought

That was not a "swarm of drones".
This is a real swarm involving some drones..................

Linky no worky so go on YouTube and search "US Navy Fighter Jets release swarming Perdix micro-drones"
Frightening, like watching that Hitchcock film without the starlings.

Last edited:
Thought this might be of interest.

Russia uses missiles and cyber warfare to fight off 'swarm of drones' attacking military bases in Syria

I suspect this might become a terrorist weapon of choice, particularly in developed countries where drones can be brought anyway. Fly half a kilo of explosive into a sensitive target then remotely detonate it.

There was also this:

Shades of the aftermath of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan where the West armed the opposition groups. although teaching Islamic organisations to use drones might be a two edged sword.

Wordsmith
US Spy Aircraft Flew Between Russian Bases in Syria During Drone Attack - MoD
Russians now alleging a US ‘spy aircraft’ (P8 Poseidon) in the area whilst the alleged drone attack took place, as mentioned by @Graculus on the Syria thread:
"… This forces us to take a fresh look at the strange coincidence that, during the attack of UAV terrorists on Russian military facilities in Syria, the Navy reconnaissance aircraft Poseidon was on patrol over the Mediterranean Sea for more than 4 hours at an altitude of 7 thousand meters, between Tartus and Hmeimim," the ministry said.

That link was from Sputnik News mate, the Beano has much more credibility on current affairs.
That's the whole point....is the initial story credible? If only we had a Syria thread to discuss the war there...

The cost of the 7 drones v the cost of the missiles?

Not a loss for the baddies, just a technical win for Ivan

The drone as pictured in that article apparently on a very clean Russian work-bench looked like it was powered by a Suffolk Punch lawnmower engine from circa 1975.
I agree though about the credibility of the source, if only they had a Twitter account like Peter Sutcliffe, Charlie Manson (rip) or even Charles Bronson (recently changed his surname yet again) it would all be made so very clear to some of us thickies.
Then it would also be very credible to me what with it being on Twitter and all.
I would then obviously take it as gospel and bang it on here as many times as my conscience allowed.
Apparently.
Praise the Lord for the Prophet Twitter.
And now back to the lawnmower powered drone attack in Syria.

The subject of this thread.

The drone as pictured in that article apparently on a very clean Russian work-bench looked like it was powered by a Suffolk Punch lawnmower engine from circa 1975.
I agree though about the credibility of the source, if only they had a Twitter account like Peter Sutcliffe, Charlie Manson (rip) or even Charles Bronson (recently changed his surname yet again) it would all be made so very clear to some of us thickies.
Then it would also be very credible to me what with it being on Twitter and all.
I would then obviously take it as gospel and bang it on here as many times as my conscience allowed.
Apparently.
Praise the Lord for the Prophet Twitter.
And now back to the lawnmower powered drone attack in Syria.

The subject of this thread.
There's some good stuff on twitter. Some very well informed posters, some utter cocks though. Much like arrse. Bellingcat posters are V good on OSI

Latest Threads