Drone Attack on Russia in Syria

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Wordsmith, Jan 9, 2018.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Thought this might be of interest.

Russia uses missiles and cyber warfare to fight off 'swarm of drones' attacking military bases in Syria
    I suspect this might become a terrorist weapon of choice, particularly in developed countries where drones can be brought anyway. Fly half a kilo of explosive into a sensitive target then remotely detonate it.

There was also this:
    Shades of the aftermath of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan where the West armed the opposition groups. although teaching Islamic organisations to use drones might be a two edged sword.

Wordsmith

2. Not exactly like a two edge sword, more like playing Russian roulette with a revolver and pulling the trigger 6 times and not spinning the cylinder.

• Like Like x 3
  3. To be able to hack a drone live isn't it likely to be an off the shelf drone with known vulnerabilities

Otherwise custom hardware, and embedded systems hacked live, surely that's like the infamous scene out of Swordfish someone wildly bashing at a keyboard and 'hacking' a system live...i.e. somewhat unlikely in real life

4. Wordsmith

That did strike me as hyperbole. I did wonder if the Russians jammed the control frequency, causing the drones to crash.

This isn't apparently the first time this form of attack has been tried, so I presume the Russians had some defence measures in place.

Wordsmith

5. Wordsmith

Apparently wildly bashing at a computer keyboard in Swordfish causes Halle Berry's top to fall off* - a hacking technique that should be encouraged.

Wordsmith

* The $500,000 she was reportedly paid for the topless scene may also have been a factor...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  6. Taken under Russian control implies hacking, just jamming the frequency would be a lot more plausible

The more plausible hacking attack is their using some form of toolkit to scan for vulnerabilities in the drone, and then take it over. But still jamming would a lot more reliable I'd have thought

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. That was not a "swarm of drones".
    This is a real swarm involving some drones..................

Linky no worky so go on YouTube and search "US Navy Fighter Jets release swarming Perdix micro-drones"
    Frightening, like watching that Hitchcock film without the starlings.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. US Spy Aircraft Flew Between Russian Bases in Syria During Drone Attack - MoD
    Russians now alleging a US ‘spy aircraft’ (P8 Poseidon) in the area whilst the alleged drone attack took place, as mentioned by @Graculus on the Syria thread:

9. That link was from Sputnik News mate, the Beano has much more credibility on current affairs.

10. That's the whole point....is the initial story credible? If only we had a Syria thread to discuss the war there...

11. The cost of the 7 drones v the cost of the missiles?

Not a loss for the baddies, just a technical win for Ivan

12. The drone as pictured in that article apparently on a very clean Russian work-bench looked like it was powered by a Suffolk Punch lawnmower engine from circa 1975.
    I agree though about the credibility of the source, if only they had a Twitter account like Peter Sutcliffe, Charlie Manson (rip) or even Charles Bronson (recently changed his surname yet again) it would all be made so very clear to some of us thickies.
    Then it would also be very credible to me what with it being on Twitter and all.
    I would then obviously take it as gospel and bang it on here as many times as my conscience allowed.
    Apparently.
    Praise the Lord for the Prophet Twitter.
    And now back to the lawnmower powered drone attack in Syria.

The subject of this thread.

13. From the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation's FaceBook page:

Interesting photos, and the means of bring the drones down, including Pantsir-S1 - Wikipedia

14. There's some good stuff on twitter. Some very well informed posters, some utter cocks though. Much like arrse. Bellingcat posters are V good on OSI