Driving without insurance conviction - Bar to a Queen's commission?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by medicone, Aug 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello! I have finally summoned enough courage to sign up despite being an avid reader of this forum for several years!

I am currently filling out the online application form to join as an MO and have an issue which I hope someone may be able to help me with! Just over 3 years ago, I was convicted for driving without insurance(awaiting a barrage of abuse!). I had changed address at the time and hadn't bothered to inform the insurance company of this(busy with exams etc). To cut a rather long story short, I was pulled over by coppers for a dodgy light, a routine check was performed on their system and it showed up that my motorcycle was uninsured! I insisted that it was, and the kind copper let me off on the promise that I show up to the local station within a number of days with an insurance certificate. I did as advised, and after lots of waiting around and several phone calls, it became apparent that the insurance company had cancelled my insurance!

So I went to court, got the points, paid the fine, got the T shirt etc etc...Now I understand this is a criminal offence and should therefore show up on a CRB, however it didn't on fairly recent CRB. The Police were very sympathetic through out this episode, and in court the prosecuting lawyer came across as defending me sometimes; could it be then that they've chosen not to declare it on my CRB as a kind gesture?(very much doubt this to be the case)

More importantly, do I declare this offence on my army officer application form despite the fact that it didn't show up on a CRB? What will be the implication of doing so? Huge thanks in advance for any input. M1

2. I'd be inclined to regard it as a minor motoring transgression and forget all about it.

I turned up at RMAS halfway through a 18 month ban for something similar and kept my mouth shut.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. Why did the insurance company cancel your insurance?

4. Integrity and honesty.... Just saying, sometimes its worse to be caught out having told porkies and you're toast. As an MO you're a desirable bit of kit to them. Tell all and hopefully they'll put it down as a motoring offence.

5. Do that it will be recorded and it will be found.
    Going in as an MO they actually want to get you in so as long as your up front you would be ok.
    Although riding a motorbike is not really a thing officers should do bound to end badly :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Driving without insurance is only a motoring conviction and not a criminal one which is why it won't have shown up on a CRB. It is still pretty naughty but as others have said being an MO they will be very keen to get you. There should be no harm in disclosing it, honesty being the best policy etc etc.

Edited to add: motoring conviction yes, criminal offence yes (due to actually breaking the law) but you don't normally get a criminal conviction (criminal record) for doing it unless you harm someone or worse.

7. I understand that it is a criminal offence.

Declare it - it may delay your acceptance - but grin and bare it.

8. It may not show up on standard CRB check (called DBS now) but might well do on enhanced or enhanced with list.

I say be upfront about it, why take the risk of being viewed as untrustworthy, and then definitely being told no thank you good bye.

9. Many thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated.

In response to your question Incubus Imperator, it was due to lack of payment. Prior to the incident, I had just passed my full motorcycle test so upgraded to a bigger bike. I instructed the insurance company to cancel the insurance on the smaller bike which was up for sale, unfortunately it appears that they didn’t receive this so carry on charging me for it. I have a separate bank account from which I pay my insurance and anything bike related; I had enough funds to cover the big bike for a few months but that quickly ran out seeing as I was unknowingly paying for the smaller bike too! As if all that wasn’t enough, I didn’t get the pre-cancellation warning letters the insurance company sent because I had just moved out of my university halls. I guess regular monitoring of my bank activity could have saved the day but I was too busy with my exam preparation at the time.

The general consensus seems to be to declare it and hope for the best! Will be a real shame if things don't work out because I went to medical school with little intention of working in the NHS, short sighted I agree, but I strongly feel that the military environment is my calling; a medical career is a bonus.

PS. Brighton_hippy, It ended badly for me initially so I may well be officer material after all!haha

10. If you're up to scratch application wise, as stated above it shouldn't be a problem in the slightest although integrity issues could certainly be raised if it rears it's ugly head unannounced. I did a work America summer camp a few years ago and a caution for scrumping flagged up from when I was 13. I understand that if you ever travel to the States, highly possible in the military, ANY record can be accessed for 'security' purposes and I was specifically asked about it on my application.

11. I agree. These days the powers that be put tremendous store on early displays of integrity. Its the current hot topic and a huge amount of work and expense is being used up at the moment at HQ ARMY to revamp the whole Values & Standards package. Just tell it as it was. I would respect you for the integrity of your choice to do so with the uncertainty of how it might be recieved - but that is what integrity is all about. I would have more respect for you na d be more inclined to accept you as a PQO candidate for commission as a consequence.

Good luck.

12. Confess your sins as they will find out. But don't worry about it. A significant chunk of the british military have skeletons in their closets and they don't really seem to care. They are an employer that dies actually take a pragmatic approach.

13. Road Traffic Act offence only, not 'criminal' as such as if not arrested, detained, fingerprinted etc..... You will have no CRO number on the PNC and as such no 'Criminal Record' to show up on a CRB. Good luck with the application.

14. Getting a commission involves a bit more checking than just a CRB. You'll also need a security clearance, and the checks carried out for that will definitely turn it up. Come clean.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tell them, they'll find out anyway and it's "the right thing to do".

As for conviction, I very much doubt they'll fob off a Doctor on the basis of no insurance. They might ask how it came to happen and if it was a simple oversight then it doesn't strike at the heart of your character.

(I might not turn up in a "Support the first British Dignitas clinic" protest T-shirt though...)