Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driving with stuff sticking out of boot/ hatchback/ van doors - any legal restriction or requirement?

4(T)

LE
I need to pick up a stack of 3.9m scaffold boards in a van with only a 3.2m load bed.

The only way its going to work would be to drive along with one rear door open and about 40cm of board overhanging the road (van has a wide steel step protruding at the rear). Obviously everything would be lashed tight, including the open door.

The vehicle lights would be visible on both sides, and i'd strap a hi-vis vest to the end of the boards.

(This is social & domestic use, and not a commercial journey.)

Apart from that, are there any traffic regulations that apply - or is it even still legal to carry loads like this? Its hard to keep up with the welter of new law these days.

Exhaust fumes could be “sucked” into the cargo area due to the airflow around the back of the van. Not a huge issue if you have a separate cab area.

Tying the hi-vis vest on is a good idea and should keep you out of trouble.

4(T)

LE
Exhaust fumes could be “sucked” into the cargo area due to the airflow around the back of the van. Not a huge issue if you have a separate cab area.

Nope; interior is open. Already spotted that one, so will be driving with windows open and an S10 in case things get too noxious.

Re: the regs. I was surprised that you can have up to 1m without any sort of warning flag.

Anyway, this'll be me if the van breaks down and I have to use the wife's Jimny:

dryshs.jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
take the front passenger seat out ?
I did that once
not one of my better Ideas
just remember as well as keeping the windows open, not to leave any thing loose lying around or it will get sucked out the back
how i know this is best not to ask !!and it sounds weird as well

take the front passenger seat out ?
I did that once

I took the front passenger seat out of my Rover 25 to get a kitchen door in. No issues, the lad from the shop was looking out the window with a very confused look on his face. "How is that guy getting a whole 6 foot 6 door into that small car?"

I need to pick up a stack of 3.9m scaffold boards in a van with only a 3.2m load bed.

The only way its going to work would be to drive along with one rear door open and about 40cm of board overhanging the road (van has a wide steel step protruding at the rear). Obviously everything would be lashed tight, including the open door.

The vehicle lights would be visible on both sides, and i'd strap a hi-vis vest to the end of the boards.

(This is social & domestic use, and not a commercial journey.)

Apart from that, are there any traffic regulations that apply - or is it even still legal to carry loads like this? Its hard to keep up with the welter of new law these days.
Use this then close the rear door...
1600457325315.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads