Driving the drivers out

Not to mention basic stuff like daily checks. I've never driven HGVs but got a mate who did haz chem driving after he left the mob and while I know they have to do a load of extra stuff iirc the compulsary daily checks on a HGV run to about 40 points down to mudflap condition and battery etc. Any of which are proved to be incorrect in the event of an incident and its points or bye bye licence. Or being pulled by plod...how would that work with a robot? It cant check itself so you would need some mug to put his HGV (and general driving licence) on the line for the fleet of robots every day...not going to be a role you'd get people doing for buttons. And time wise depots that need to get a lot of units out the gate would have to employ multiple people with HGV licences to do it.
Technology is all ready there for vehicle checks
Many hauliers have systems in place where by the vehicle "talks" to the workshop
You stick a large screen t.v. up and you list your fleet green if everything ok, Red for a problem.
If the wagon goes wrong the workshops can interrogate the management system to find out what has gone wrong.
Saves money on sending a fitter out to look at A,C or C
You can also remote monitor brakes and tyre pressures again saves a call out fee as you can schedule a tyre change.

With the right telematics in place you can even tell how much weight is on each axle when the trailer is half the world away.

It doesn't take long for a man to walk round a trailer to inspect it for damage.
We get about £25 - 30k per year of unreported damage where a human has hit something and stayed quiet

I wonder how many of these driverless lorries will be hi-jacked and robbed. I am already looking forward to my first free pizza or curry, via robbing a takeaway drone.
Less than what there is now I would imagine
We've had two robbed in the last couple of weeks the run up to Christmas always see's a spike in thefts.
Both drivers in secure parking with CCTV which recorded nothing.
No interest from police except a crime number they never even bothered coming out.
Facilities for safe parking are a joke they're just crime magnets for gangs operating on them

But they will lose out as the driverless wagons will not need to stop for a drivers rest
Hard to rob it when it's charging along at 56 mph.

For some Security guards, yes.
But ok suppose you pass that first minor hurdle. How does the truck know where Ramp 22 is on site?

Also, genuine question: Has anyone done any work on Driverless trucks reversing?
He will be guided in using GPS.the stuff now can get you straight onto the bay

As to reversing it's all ready out there buy a car and it will park it's self with you sat watching the steering wheel spin as it does it
Trucks no different

I've seen a video (I'll try and find it for you) of a truck reversing on a bay and dropping the trailer pulling away and hooking up to another trailer

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Seems dirty might delay the common roll out of driverlous cars

For self-driving cars, car washes are a nightmare
"
The most cutting-edge cars on the planet require an old-fashioned handwashing.
Car washes have been automated for decades, but companies developing fully autonomous vehicles must rely on a human touch to keep their cars and trucks in working condition.
There are a range of problems with putting a self-driving vehicle through a traditional car wash, experts say.
For example, soap residue or water spots could effectively "blind" an autonomous car. A traditional car wash's heavy brushes could jar the vehicle's sensors, disrupting their calibration and accuracy. Even worse, sensors, which can cost over $100,000, could be broken.........."

I'd love to see how they cope with winter here in Ottawa when the slush is up. My Kia gets covered and needs washing twice a week. I switch off the parking aid sometime because the salt residue is covering the sensors and it goes nuts.

Had you been a “proper” PWO you wouldn’t need a parking aid ;)

As a cyclist, I don't give a flying f**k about drivers and their future job prospects. A ZX80 could point a car or truck far better than half the motorists obsessed by mobile phones and social networking I have the misfortune to share the roads with.
Well then, start paying some insurance, obey red lights and stop cycling with all the self-preservation of a lemming during cliff jumping season. My BMW 5 series has a web-browser, so why shouldn't I be on FaceBook when I'm driving?

Well then, start paying some insurance, obey red lights and stop cycling with all the self-preservation of a lemming during cliff jumping season. My BMW 5 series has a web-browser, so why shouldn't I be on FaceBook when I'm driving?

Ah, he is a cyclist therefore he doesn't have insurance, cycles badly and jumps red lights.

You are a BMW driver therefore you tailgate, never indicate and are a drug-dealing black man with a tiny cock.

Dontcha just love generalisations?

Will BMW's still have trouble with indicators?

Will all Yard Shunters be replaced by the grumpy, miserable humanoids? Bender from Futurama perhaps?

Ah, he is a cyclist therefore he doesn't have insurance, cycles badly and jumps red lights.

You are a BMW driver therefore you tailgate, never indicate and are a drug-dealing black man with a tiny cock.

Dontcha just love generalisations?
  1. Disagree, I'm the soul of courtesy
  2. Disagree, I'm trying to change the mindset:
    1. I stop at pedestrian crossings.
    2. I "Flash" people out.
    3. I don't automatically assume "vorweg".
    4. I only operate the built in web browser and my mobile phone when there's more than 10' feet between me and the car in front.
  3. Disagree (although I do tan well!)
  4. Perhaps, I'm not sure (never having compared it). 8" is about right isn't it?
    1. Regardless, (to quote the old adage) it's big enough to fill a pram.

Last edited:
If the forecast is to be believed the next few days should provide food for thought for the autonomous truck fanboi’s !
The last bit of bad snow proved very educational for a large firm I interact with , who after listening to their bean counters ( his purple emminance may have been involved ).
Who ordered a tranche of 3 axle tractors with no axle lift and no diff lock
( and no doubt would have specked wind up windows if they could!).
And then found that in snow they could hardly move even with a skilled driver and their schedules went to ratshit for 3 days
Moral of tale ? Bean counters no eff all about real life ( exhibit one .. Bravo Bravo!) and whilst any truck stuck in snow is a major obstruction, autonomous trucks will be doubly so.

In my opinion

Beacause you are supposed to be concentrating on the road ahead, not being distracted by numptys with the combined brain cells of two ham sandwiches, the clues in the title, DRIVING.

Beacause you are supposed to be concentrating on the road ahead, not being distracted by numptys with the combined brain cells of two ham sandwiches, the clues in the title, DRIVING.
1519643289203.jpg

they will be easy to rob when charging along at 56 just stand in front of it with enough space for it to stop which it "probably" will, whereas any driver worth his salt will mow a potential violent robber down with no more concern than when they loose an illegal immigrant off the axle on the M4 or murder a couple of prostitutes.