• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Driving Test??

Dad talked of taking a "driving test" that involved taking a Matador towing a field gun downhill without touching the brakes and keeping control of the vehicle.

My question is does anyone else remember/recall or recognise doing something similar? What unit/service were you in? Anything that people know about such an experience is of interest.

Thanks

Dad talked of taking a "driving test" that involved taking a Matador towing a field gun downhill without touching the brakes and keeping control of the vehicle.

My question is does anyone else remember/recall or recognise doing something similar? What unit/service were you in? Anything that people know about such an experience is of interest.

Thanks
No direct memory but it sounds reasonable. Until the 1970's lorry brakes were always a bit crap, so I can believe second or even first gear downhill was the way to do it.

There was a saying "go downhill in the same gear you'd use to go up".

No direct memory but it sounds reasonable. Until the 1970's lorry brakes were always a bit crap, so I can believe second or even first gear downhill was the way to do it.

There was a saying "go downhill in the same gear you'd use to go up".
Quite so. Unless driving a staff car (without staff) downhill. In which case thrash the nuts off it to see how fast it will go :)