Driving Test disaster stories.

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
Driving Test? Mother never saw the point. Rode her moped 35 odd miles every week for a get together with her gang of old crones, L plates fell off after a while, never replaced. After a couple of years of this, then getting wet once to often, she got a A40 Farina, remember them? Solid rust. She never even bothered with L plates. It lasted about four years, then they brought in the MOT. She jacked in driving then, but in all that time she never got pulled once,

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Did my bike test on a Honda 90. Anorak, open face stadium 8. Ni gloves in the botanic/ university area of Belfast.
Got lost. Passed.

Did my bike test on a Honda 90. Anorak, open face stadium 8. Ni gloves in the botanic/ university area of Belfast.
Got lost. Passed.
So you didn't get lost along the Falls Road, and have to stop and ask for directions to Palace Barracks then?
Yes... Yes. I'll get my coat.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
So you didn't get lost along the Falls Road, and have to stop and ask for directions to Palace Barracks then?
Yes... Yes. I'll get my coat.
How we would have laughed at that, the Falls being a mile away. And the motorcycle test being not much more than a figure 8 and failing to run over the examiner whom I’d left at the front door of the bookshop.

Bike test as a 16 year old Junior Tradesman in 1971 on a BSA B40.
Land Rover a year later.
Tracks (H)
HGV3
HGV1
Police Basic
Police Intermediate
Police Advanced

Aced the lot first time, still learning to drive to this day.

Back when you didn't get followed on the bike test a mate swore blind that he had fallen off on his test, picked the bike up and wobbled round the lap.
The examiner didn't even ask him why he was covered in mud and leaves.
Having seen him ride I believe him wholeheartedly

Not my test but back when I was 17 my father taught me around the twisty country lanes of Dorset - great for building up skills and confidence. Right up to the point where going around a very tight and blind corner with aforementioned skill and confidence, I took out a mother ducker and half a dozen ducklings, spread them all up the road. I was traumatised and inconsolable.

A few months later when I had recovered and ventured back to a another lesson, my mother had lined a load of rubber ducks along the dashboard. Well, she obviously though to was funny......

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Never did get the full story but suffice to say luckily enough on my brother's first test that the instructor's car he was using was fully insured and the skip he crashed into when he lost it on a hill start was not badly damaged

Not my test but back when I was 17 my father taught me around the twisty country lanes of Dorset - great for building up skills and confidence. Right up to the point where going around a very tight and blind corner with aforementioned skill and confidence, I took out a mother ducker and half a dozen ducklings, spread them all up the road. I was traumatised and inconsolable.

A few months later when I had recovered and ventured back to a another lesson, my mother had lined a load of rubber ducks along the dashboard. Well, she obviously though to was funny......
Brings memories of years ago traveling on a motorway at night. Doing about 65mph and a mother rabbit and a half dozen baby bunnies decided to run in front of me. Nothing I could do but to this day; every time I drive down that section of road I recall the thump, thump, thump as I drove over an entire family of bunnies.

Brings memories of years ago traveling on a motorway at night. Doing about 65mph and a mother rabbit and a half dozen baby bunnies decided to run in front of me. Nothing I could do but to this day; every time I drive down that section of road I recall the thump, thump, thump as I drove over an entire family of bunnies.
People like you should be dragged to The Hague.

Mate of mine taking his H test in a 432. Instructor, mind the coke truck.
Rolf (you'll never guess his surname), what coke truck
Instructor Mind the friggin coke truck!
Rolf what frigging coke tru........ Sounds of expensive metal bending

And that gentlemen, is why you should conduct the eye test before commencing the driving test
He wasn't known as the Jap sniper for nothing

Where I worked "Kiddly clump" was the acceptable alternative for a rabbit...

Guy I worked with did his test sometime in the late 1980s in Belfast. Pouring with rain. There'd been an RTA in Chichester Street/May Street area, and RUC were in attendance. My esteemed former colleague hit a peeler with the mirror of the car, and knocked him on his arrse. Still got a pass, as said officer had stepped back one pace into his path to avoid being soaked by a van coming the other way.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M The Training Wing 3
H Military History and Militaria 2
Mr_Fingerz The Intelligence Cell 58