Driving License

I managed to get my full license through the TA . Took 2 Yrs though and it was needed for my trade . That then was followed with my B+E about 2 months later on a trade camp at Swinnerton.

im in the royal artillery TA. In my sub unit at least 10 people have done B licences, and in the last 3 years about 15 of us have done cat c and cat c + E

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Go REME - every Tradesman has to drive (pretty hard to do brake tests, etc., otherwise) and drive nearly everything. You should pretty soon get your Cat B, and C+E is very common - every Recovery Mech for example has to have C+E, which is pretty damn useful, I must say.

Our unit is in dire straights when it comes to drivers, we will put them through theory training and their test, send them on a driving course to Grantham , DST or contract training so we can get dates to suit the individual, so its all there for anyone who can be arrsed to do it, however most dont as they see it as getting mucked around at the weekend and want driven everywhere, then there's PSI's who state they are here to train soldiers for war not drivers, then wonder why we cant go anywhere to train or struggle to deploy. Is it anywonder our greenfleet never moves?

Get really annoyed at the short-sightedness of some people/orgs...

I have, courtesy of a previous TA unit, my C+E and HAZMAT. My current unit has little requirement for HGV drivers.

In order to remain current, it is up to me to push for opportunities to drive HGV and, most of the time, it's a real struggle to do - we have the vehicles, but not, apparently, the time.

Worst of it is, I've had the 8-tonner taken off my FMT 600 - why? Because the Regt doesn't have any now. Doesn't mean it's still a skill, but I just can't get any time/cooperation in driving the bugg3rs...

Retention?

No problems....

SigDev_Duck said:
Get really annoyed at the short-sightedness of some people/orgs...

I have, courtesy of a previous TA unit, my C+E and HAZMAT. My current unit has little requirement for HGV drivers.

In order to remain current, it is up to me to push for opportunities to drive HGV and, most of the time, it's a real struggle to do - we have the vehicles, but not, apparently, the time.

Worst of it is, I've had the 8-tonner taken off my FMT 600 - why? Because the Regt doesn't have any now. Doesn't mean it's still a skill, but I just can't get any time/cooperation in driving the bugg3rs...

Retention?

No problems....
Consider yourself lucky you are not an Officer - there's no way you could get that list of licenses.

msr

msr said:
Consider yourself lucky you are not an Officer - there's no way you could get that list of licenses.msr
I constantly, and consistently, do... :D

SigDev_Duck said:
Does it? My unit was ok until the new driver regs kicked in. We've recently had to FAM a load of drivers - including myself, so I now get to drive the ED's (driving trade) to exercises

In my case, all the heavies are used by Spt Tp. As I am not in Spt Tp, I have no need to drive HGVs... Simple, when you know... :(