Driving License

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by AlphaKennyThing, Oct 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Summary: Pregnant wife just failed driving test, can't really re-take before child is born. But we need to get around!

I'm due to get my license through the army in March ish time, but is there any way to sort it out myself beforehand and claim the money back somehow?

Or is that wishful thinking?

Cheers.

2. Do the lessons and pass your test then claim (some) of the money back on your learning credits?

3. Ah yeah! Forgot about that. How much do you get per year again?

I had the brief on it like 18 months ago now.

4. Poet has it wrong. You are talking SLC here - not ELC

You could claim £175 in this F/Y then another £175 in the next F/Y for lessons.

5. Got to get it agreed before you take the course. Speak to your local AEC.

6. No wonder my taxes are so ******* high! Why not do what 99% of the population does and get your own license and pay for it.

7. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Speaking as an ex QTO why should the OP pay if he is serving and is required to have the license

8. Its ARSSE and people talk out theirs on here.

9. Because its been a just one of recruiting 'dangle a carrot' toys that's been used for years to get bods in.

Another is overseas postings, although I agree with your point..

10. So if we did this and soldiers chose not to learn we would end up with an Army that is next to useless. In my unit we need C+E to be able to operate, should we have to pay for that as well.

Driving is a big thing in most units and if a soldier can't drive he might as well be a on guard all the time O wait a min you need driver on guard as well.

11. There's a big difference between cat B to C+E, a Unit's role being a factor amongst one, not just because the Guard needs a driver.

My old Unit had more C, C+E licence holders than it could throw a stick at (in house I might add too) however many that are either too lazy, piss their money away or simply expect it to be handed to them in some former another.

I also know many that turned licences down as 'the Army paid for your Licence so crack on son' was thrown at them & they throw a strop! There's nothing wrong making the personal effort first then requesting LGV Lience etc.

12. Cyprus 1976. No SLC or whatever. They did get their money's worth though driving around UNICYP and Belfast a little later. Even now, eyebrows get raised when I say I passed my driving test in Cyprus. Lol. Good luck with yours.

13. Our guys arrive from training with their B license, without it they are mostly useless to us however without the +E part they still are not very good as they need it for landrover and trailer.

As the weapon system we operate is towed by a C class we then have to get them through C+E which we are having problems with, without having to wait for them to be bothered to get their own B license first.

14. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

Get some bikes until you pass and make sure you both have a wicker basket on each of them so you can take it in turns with the baby, or in case its twins.
    On a serious note I can't offer any advice but can wish you all the best for the future. It does take a while to get your full licence so it may be better to wait and do it in march as you said.