Driving license in the army

#1
hi was woundering when you do you license's in the army car-hgv, do thay want to see if you can drive safe and well or do thay grill you on stuff like in civy street.
 
#2
Its the same as the civvy driving test
 
#3
they contract the training out to civvys and the test is done by the civvys, once you have your civvy quals you then train on the military vechicles 1 at a time in a military run course when you learn about off roading maintance etc
 
#5
T/J/LeGg said:
hi was woundering when you do you license's in the army car-hgv, do thay want to see if you can drive safe and well or do thay grill you on stuff like in civy street.
No mate, its a copy of the Saudi and Uzbeki system, and the Cypriot Motorbike licence (if you wanted your bike licence that is!).

You have to do three turns through 90 degrees, one to the right, one to the left and the third of your choice.

There is a line of zigzag cones I think about 10 and its a 50 percent pass on this phase (you only have to leave 5 standing).

Emergency stop, where you simulate brake failure and your instructor is supposed to pull the handbrake "within the allocated distance".

You have to reverse on a square in a straight line for a total of 50 percent of the length of the vehicle, and maintain "straightness within one vehicle length".

Demonstrate, understanding of the mechanics by turning off the engine, removing the key, and demonstrate to your examiner your knowledge by taking the tyre pressure, and use of a fuel pump to refuel (got to be careful on this one, cos sometimes they trick you by making you stop at the PETROL pump when your driving a DIESEL vehicle) so keep your wits about you at all times.

Thats about all I can remember from my test maybe someone else will be able to give you some more up to date info....

I`m starting my pilots course with the AAC next year and just cant wait, cos my driving skills will surely come in handy on that course.
 
#6
Do they still con you out of £15 in the Falklands, They made me pay up before they would let me start to build the road from East Cove up to March ridge
 
#7
Bottleosmoke said:
I wish we tested peoples spelling..........
We'd be well und trulley buggard if thay did
 
#8
T/J/LeGg said:
hi was woundering when you do you license's in the army car-hgv, do thay want to see if you can drive safe and well or do thay grill you on stuff like in civy street.
You, Sir, are a fucking turd of monumental proportions. why are you woundering about stuff? You are clearly not fit to breathe and walk at the same time! I hope you get a smack in the knees with a cricket bat off of your instructor!
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#9
tropper66 said:
Do they still con you out of £15 in the Falklands, They made me pay up before they would let me start to build the road from East Cove up to March ridge
I wouldnt know, there wasnt a road worthy of the name when I was there!
 
#10
Normally your cat b (car) is done in your phase 2 establishment and then you go up to leconfield for cat c and c+e (truck and trailer). It's normally done by civvie driving instructors contracted to the Army and you do the same tests as any normal civvie. If you pass them you then move on to Military Vehicle Familiarisation. It used to be called Fams and Combats when I did it, I can't imagine its changed much more.

In short, the standards are no easier or harder if you did them in civvie street.
 
#11
BPS666 said:
T/J/LeGg said:
hi was woundering when you do you license's in the army car-hgv, do thay want to see if you can drive safe and well or do thay grill you on stuff like in civy street.
You, Sir, are a fucking turd of monumental proportions. why are you woundering about stuff? You are clearly not fit to breathe and walk at the same time! I hope you get a smack in the knees with a cricket bat off of your instructor!
Would seem to have the right avatar then :wink:
 
#12
ugly said:
tropper66 said:
Do they still con you out of £15 in the Falklands, They made me pay up before they would let me start to build the road from East Cove up to March ridge
I wouldnt know, there wasnt a road worthy of the name when I was there!
Lucky for you, because there was SFA before we built them
 
#13
BPS666 chill out was just a question want it, and i only asked it because my uncle was in the army years ago and he just had to show that he could drive safe and knew what he was doing
 
#15
Bottleosmoke said:
I wish we tested peoples spelling..........
ferkin spoot oon buddd :wink:
 
#16
T/J/LeGg said:
BPS666 chill out was just a question want it, and i only asked it because my uncle was in the army years ago and he just had to show that he could drive safe and knew what he was doing
Not being a proffesional driver I couldn't possibly comment on the standards required by the Army these days, in respect of that particular CEG, but I can comment on the standard and contents of your head. I imagine it is pretty long and deceptively fat - probably a size 63 beret. You don't have a chin and you have a particularly vacant glaze in your eyes (when you can get them both to point in the same direction). You spend your days pondering why shoes have to go on a certain way and have been known to shit your pants while trying to have a piss in the urinal. You have been in the army cadets - where you did really well and got your 2 star award and LCpl (It's good to see someone hit their ceiling so very quickly). Some git in the recruiting office sussed out your potential as loggie because he couldn't bring himself to shove you into his own Regt/ Corps for fear of getting laughed at by his peers. Unfortunately he cajoled you into being a Dvr when in atcual fact you should be a Mover! Now do us a favour and off you fuck and take your piss poor 'wah' with you!
 
#17
BPS666 said:
T/J/LeGg said:
BPS666 chill out was just a question want it, and i only asked it because my uncle was in the army years ago and he just had to show that he could drive safe and knew what he was doing
Not being a proffesional driver I couldn't possibly comment on the standards required by the Army these days, in respect of that particular CEG, but I can comment on the standard and contents of your head. I imagine it is pretty long and deceptively fat - probably a size 63 beret. You don't have a chin and you have a particularly vacant glaze in your eyes (when you can get them both to point in the same direction). You spend your days pondering why shoes have to go on a certain way and have been known to shit your pants while trying to have a piss in the urinal. You have been in the army cadets - where you did really well and got your 2 star award and LCpl (It's good to see someone hit their ceiling so very quickly). Some git in the recruiting office sussed out your potential as loggie because he couldn't bring himself to shove you into his own Regt/ Corps for fear of getting laughed at by his peers. Unfortunately he cajoled you into being a Dvr when in atcual fact you should be a Mover! Now do us a favour and off you fuck and take your piss poor 'wah' with you!
BPS6666 Back from christmas break and In fine form I see
 
#19
Wow, I know the shops are running out of certain things because of the bad weather, but I wasn't aware punctuation was one of them!
 
#20
T/J/LeGg said:
BPS666 chill out was just a question want it, and i only asked it because my uncle was in the army years ago and he just had to show that he could drive safe and knew what he was doing
That's because that is pretty much all you had to do to get a civvie qual then too. My Granddad has driven all of his life, nad NEVER took a test, many other Granddads will have done the same.

As mentioned before, you'll do your Phase 1 training (ie the soldier stuff) then move on to your trade training. Drivers will learn to drive in Phase 2 (trade), if you are not a driver trade but require a licence yu will either be trained up during your trade or at te end.

THe tests are the SAME as civvie street, indeed they are teh civvie tests so you will get 'grilled'. But at least it is free.

If you need C or C+E you may get sent to DST Leconsfield, the Defence School of Transport, but you may do your C, C+E in unit or a the trade training facility. Certainly SEME in Bordon has C and C+E instructors and testing.

When you have your licence (civvie) you will be allowed to learn how to drive vehicles of that size for military purposes. You are issued an Driving Permit for military vehicles, and you will have various vehicles added. For example civvie car or landrover and Bedford or MAN. As mentioned you will be taught how to maintain these vehicles as well as drive them on and off road. Special equipment such as winches or cranes will also be covered if neccesary.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads