Driving licence

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by oldbloke, Feb 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't see it posted anywhere but if so apologies. Mine runs out this year and I never knew a thing about it.

Subject: FW: photo card driving licenses- IMPORTANT READ

Please pass on to all friends/colleagues

Unwitting motorists face £1,000 fines as thousands of photo card driving licences expire.

Thousands of motorists are at risk of being fined up to £1,000 because they are unwittingly driving without a valid licence.

They risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photo card licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70.

The fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998, just as the they start to expire.

Motoring organisations blamed the Government for the fiasco and said 'most' drivers believed their licences were for life.

A mock-up driving licence from 1998 when the photo cards were launched shows the imminent expiry date as item '4b'

They said officials had failed to publicise sufficiently the fact that new-style licences - unlike the old paper ones - expire after a set period and have to be renewed.

To rub salt into wounds, drivers will have to a pay £17.50 to renew their card - a charge which critics have condemned as a 'stealth tax' and which will earn the Treasury an estimated £437million over 25 years.

Official DVLA figures reveal that while 16,136 expired this summer, so far only 11,566 drivers have renewed, leaving 4,570 outstanding.

With another 300,000 photo card licences due to expire over the coming year, experts fear the number of invalid licences will soar, putting thousands more drivers in breach of the law and at risk of a fine.

At the heart of the confusion is the small print on the tiny credit-card-size photo licence, which is used in conjunction with the paper version.

Just below the driver name on the front of the photo card licence is a series of dates and details - each one numbered.

Number 4b features a date in tiny writing, but no explicit explanation as to what it means.

The date's significance is only explained if the driver turns over the card and reads the key on the back which states that '4b' means 'licence valid to'.

Even more confusingly, an adjacent table on the rear of the card sets out how long the driver is registered to hold a licence - that is until his or her 70th birthday.

A total of 25million new-style licences have been issued but - motoring experts say - drivers were never sufficiently warned they would expire after 10 years.

Motorists who fail to renew their licences in time are allowed to continue driving. But the DVLA says they could be charged with 'failing to surrender their licence', an offence carrying a £1,000 fine.

AA president, Edmund King said: 'It is not generally known that photo card licences expire: there appears to be a lack of information that people will have to renew these licences.

'People think they have already paid them for once over and that is it.

'It will come as a surprise to motorists and a shock that they have to pay an extra £17.50.'

The AA called on the Government to use the annual £450million from traffic enforcement fines to offset the renewal charge.

2. It has been done before on here, but still worth alerting people. I had no idea about it until I came across a similar article.

One thing I don't understand is that I was under the impression that the "photocard" was not the actual legal licence - that the "Paper" licence is actually the legal document. I thought that the photocard was supposed to be nothing more than a convenient "copy" to carry around - hence why you have to take the paper version if you need to produce documents to the police or courts. If this is indeed the case, then why is there a penalty for not renewing the "copy"?!

3. Just another government CON, and the old paper jobby is still legal so why bother with this piece of crap

4. And who wants to bet on whether you will soon need a new EU approved biometric ID Card to apply for your new driving license?

5. Hey, Im still running on my old paper one ! Are these still legal ?

6. Yep. If and when it gets replaced you'll get a photocard though.

7. What if you've got a paper one somewhere, and it's in a very safe place? So safe that you can't find it, and it's got your old address on that has been knocked down and rebuilt and the address doesn't exist anymore.

A mate told me to ask that. Honest Guv.

Is she still legal to drive?

8. I renewed my license last year as I moved. I have just looked at the card and it expires in two years time! I would never have known!

9. I nearly got caught out with this Govt rip off, managed to renew on time , just,! at £17.50 a throw it seems the Govt makes an estimated 27 million out of the scam, Bstdrs, also my medical is due in april [ LGV] last time my doctors practice charged me £85.00 for a 15 min medical [ a/holes] so be warned !!!

10. Will the MoD pay for the renewal cost for Service Personnel?

11. I thought you'd know, being the King of all Knowledge and all that.

12. Yes of course. That's why I've asked. :roll:

13. Don't know about that one, when I was serving they did pay for some things but it's that long ago I can't recall exactly what.

14. Probably still legal to drive but your 'mate' :D risks a big fine for not informing them of the change of address. Nearly got caught out that way myself. Your mate has only got to get pulled for a light out and have to go down the station with a 'produce your documents' form and you're in the proverbial unless you say you've just moved house - like I did.
    On the bright side your mate can apply for a new card as a simple change of address along with passport type pictures and the old licence and Bob's your father's brother. There's a form for this at the Post Office. I didn't have to pay anything for the new licence as a new address is a legitimate reason for updating it. The old address is not really important any more as they're only interested in updating your details - although you may have to tell a little fib about 'when' you moved.

15. barkingspider, did you mean you were interviewed twice for the ripper or did you mean that fcukin walt,? funny thing though, one harsh winter morning I was unloading in g a big digger from my low loader and the ripper, Sutcliffe, was trying to start his wagon but had no idea it had a cold start so I showed him and got it going, wish I'd only known, I was called on by the Lead detective, G oldfield [ now deceased] so they had some idea he was driver eh, pity they didn't catch him sooner , as he killed a friends daughter later, the bstrd.