Driving licence through the Army? you gotta be kidding!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BiscuitsAB, Jul 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Just a question really. Any ideas on how to get driver training through the army for non essential personel, Well a Capt in the RAMC. Mate of mine got the big E when he asked for driver training, got told "pay for it yourself" any ideas other than pointing him to the nearest BSM?
  2. Depends on the unit really. I got my C+E (even tho my trade doesn't require it) mainly because I was in good with a few of the MT cpls and there's a number of DDE (defense driving examiners) at my unit. Most major units (from what I understand) have authorised DVLA test centres as part of the training wing.

I guess it depends on who your mate asks and his location.

Sorry can't be more helpful.
  3. The Qualified Testing Officer lived in next bunk to me so no surprise I passed first attempt. Got me HGV 3 first go down in Detmold when on course from Minden.
    Picked up a £4 fine this morning for a traffic offence had to find an obscure station down town, shock horror, cop insited on giving me a ticket, rather then me paying the officer a quid for his trouble.

4. Duty of Care, Health and Safety or Professional Competence are all good justifications. How can he possibly safely and sensibly plan a Fd Hosp Locn if he doesn't know how to drive and manouvre large vehicles around the area? Any RLC Tp Comd who has ever been told, "Just get your boys to park over there..." by someone who's never seen one of the trucks up close will be more than happy to support his application.

Similar if all he has to do is plan a road move. It's a battle I fought - and won - with a CO who didn't think any Offr needed a cat C, never mind a C + E. It did help when his staff car got blocked in to a halt locn just outside Newcastle by 6x DROPS and Tlrs because the Officer claimed to have no idea how much room he really needed to get them turned around. Suggestions that I (oops, I mean the young Tp Comd) took his dvrs to the nearest Macdonalds to say thanks (oops, I mean because they missed the meal that was waiting for them at the next halt) are entirely spurious so I will resist the temptation to publish them here. (oops :wink:)
  5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

His MTO needs to put up a case to his Bde HQ. Not impossible: a reasonably plausible justification should do it. I went from non-driver to passed test in four days through the army, though I was a menace on the roads for years afterwards.
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Thanks guys I'll pass on the advice.
  7. This has fack all to do with me.