Driving Licence Entitlements

Recently passed my C+E licence and had an absolute nightmare in both getting the licence and getting it correct, the DVLA have finally got me the "correct" licence.

I passed the test in a automatic wagon, all fine the rules state that its allowed and you will get your manual entitlement, however I have spoke to the DVLA and some say that cause it was automatic the B+E is stuck in automatic while others say it should be manual as my original B licence is manual.

This got me thinking, how come they let you have manual entitlement on a 44 ton HGV, but wouldn't give you it for you ford focus and caravan? Is this correct? DVLA website isn't very helpful and getting many different answers.

I did all this before auto box lorries were around, but I think Donny is right.

As I understand it, your existing B licence is manual and you keep that. You've taken your LGV test on an automatic so you don't get a manual C licence.

The opposite situation to yours is where you have an auto B licence and take your LGV test on a manual. The LGV examiner should then give you a second pass note to convert your B entitlement from auto to manual.

I did all this before auto box lorries were around, but I think Donny is right.

As I understand it, your existing B licence is manual and you keep that. You've taken your LGV test on an automatic so you don't get a manual C licence.

The opposite situation to yours is where you have an auto B licence and take your LGV test on a manual. The LGV examiner should then give you a second pass note to convert your B entitlement from auto to manual.
Cheers for the reply, seems I never explained it properly, as of 2014 as long as you have manual car, you could pass your test in automatic C and CE wagons and you would get your manual entitlement on them.

The problem is BE where there is not a lot of information or it's contradictory, surely if the DVLA can give you a manual entitlement on CE why not for BE which is a lot easier to drive and far fewer gears.

Cheers for the reply, seems I never explained it properly, as of 2014 as long as you have manual car, you could pass your test in automatic C and CE wagons and you would get your manual entitlement on them.

The problem is BE where there is not a lot of information or it's contradictory, surely if the DVLA can give you a manual entitlement on CE why not for BE which is a lot easier to drive and far fewer gears.
I am indeed a bit behind the times. As you said, things changed in 2014 and you can get a manual C licence if you've passed your LGV test on certain types of auto. You haven't been tested on your ability to handle a manual box with a clutch and a range-change or splitter, but apparently that's the way it is. Good luck if you ever find a Foden 12-speed, you'll need it!

Your second point is what I said - if you have an auto B licence and pass your LGV test on a manual wagon your B licence can be changed to manual.

Last edited:
Recently passed my C+E licence and had an absolute nightmare in both getting the licence and getting it correct, the DVLA have finally got me the "correct" licence.

I passed the test in a automatic wagon, all fine the rules state that its allowed and you will get your manual entitlement, however I have spoke to the DVLA and some say that cause it was automatic the B+E is stuck in automatic while others say it should be manual as my original B licence is manual.

This got me thinking, how come they let you have manual entitlement on a 44 ton HGV, but wouldn't give you it for you ford focus and caravan? Is this correct? DVLA website isn't very helpful and getting many different answers.
Just so I've got this correct in my head.

You have passed a C+E test in an automatic vehicle.

Your B licence was taken in a manual.

If so, then you should have a C+E Manual licence. You will also receive (if not held already) a B+E licence.

Those that take the test in an automatic truck will also receive a manual licence if they already hold a manual entitlement for cars, buses or lorries, with or without a trailer.
DSA to allow LGVs with automatic gearboxes at test from January

Further from the above link,

“I don’t think that it will put them in good stead for employment,” he said. “I think it will make passing the test easier, but most small hauliers are still running manual trucks.”
I think hauliers will have to spend more time/money 'famming' drivers on manuals...

Just so I've got this correct in my head.

You have passed a C+E test in an automatic vehicle.

Your B licence was taken in a manual.

If so, then you should have a C+E Manual licence. You will also receive (if not held already) a B+E licence.

DSA to allow LGVs with automatic gearboxes at test from January

Further from the above link,

I think hauliers will have to spend more time/money 'famming' drivers on manuals...
Yeah I agree with everything you've posted there however the rules state you can only drive a automatic B+E. Surely at the DVLA someone with conman sense would be thought that if they allow you a C+E manual they would also give you B+E in a manual as it's far easier to drive.

Yeah I agree with everything you've posted there however the rules state you can only drive a automatic B+E. Surely at the DVLA someone with conman sense would be thought that if they allow you a C+E manual they would also give you B+E in a manual as it's far easier to drive.
So you had a manual B and took your C+E in an automatic.

According to the .gov.uk website

Car and trailer driving test: Rules for the car you use - GOV.UK

If you have a B manual, and take the +E test in a automatic you still get a B+E auto only. They probably haven't taken in to account the new rules that will allow you to drive a manual C+E.

Sounds like a practical derogation in the HGV rules to counter the pervading auto/semi-auto trucks has tripped you up.

Just book a +E in a manual vehicle.

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Well, yes. Apart from how this relates back to B licences, we now have drivers tested on auto boxes being let loose on 16-speed manual wagons. Doesn't sound at all sensible to me.
Do they do the gear changing excercise in an auto box? How does that relate if they need to do it in a manual?