Driving Course

I'm applying to join the Army Air Corps in the reserves. I was previously in the RAF University Air Squadron (yes I'm a crab), so while I'm not going to talk the talk and put myself on the same level as full timers, I have had some exposure to the armed forces.

I had to leave the squadron as they have this weird rule that if you're on placement year, you can't be on a UAS. I'm trying to join the AAC as I still want some military experience while at university before going in full time.

A mate of mine was in the reserves in the Royal Anglians and said his friend in the Battalion couldn't drive, so went up and did a driving course for a day (at Honnington I think) and got his driver's license.

I've been learning to drive, and was told by my instructor I'm nearly ready to take my test. I've been learning for some time, with COVID making it difficult due to changing restrictions. I went to book in my test, but there's no availability.

While I'm not trying to join for this reason, getting my license though them, especially so quickly would be really helpful.

Does anyone know more about this course? I've searche it up here but couldn't find anything.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yes there is a driving course, your chances of getting on it are pretty slim unless you’re joining as a driver, especially in your first year or two.

Just do your test in civvy street. You might be waiting years to get it paid for by the Army.

Snapper 25

Old-Salt
You can definitely get your cat b and cat c depending on what regiment you join.
Your best looking at the rac , engineers and you’ll definitely get all your licenses in the rlc.

Planets

War Hero
You'd better hurry up as the AAC reserves are about to lose a sqn and the rest are downsizing. Driving is a requirement of either comms or groundcrew so you will be able to get your driving quals. Although if you are in a rush remember that you still need to do all your basic training so it may still take a few years.

Bearing in mind God was a boy when I was in, I passed my driving test in the army in Cyprus but I was sent on a two week cadre. I did pass it after a couple of days in the first week but I had been learning to drive while on three weeks leave prior to deployment in my friends car so I had quite a lot of experience.

Don't forget, when you learn to drive, you are also learning to pass the test. You could drive for years and still fail a test because there are some skills that an examiner will want to see you using on your test that you would only really use during your test and possibly on an ad hoc basis in the future when you are driving under certain conditions.

I’m pretty sure you would need much more than a single day even if you do have some driving experience.

syrup

LE
Bearing in mind God was a boy when I was in, I passed my driving test in the army in Cyprus but I was sent on a two week cadre. I did pass it after a couple of days in the first week but I had been learning to drive while on three weeks leave prior to deployment in my friends car so I had quite a lot of experience.

Don't forget, when you learn to drive, you are also learning to pass the test. You could drive for years and still fail a test because there are some skills that an examiner will want to see you using on your test that you would only really use during your test and possibly on an ad hoc basis in the future when you are driving under certain conditions.

I’m pretty sure you would need much more than a single day even if you do have some driving experience.

I would suggest it can't be done in a day and someone is mixing up familiarisation with a driving course
When I joined up in the Regulars it was a free flowing course and everyone got tree tests after that you remastered to a non driving trade
The guys who already had a car license got something like 10 hours teaching and re sat heir test before they went off and did their HGV

I did cars then did my HGV straight after

Bare in mind we were driving for a morning or an afternoon 4 days a week with a full driving day once a week
The rest of the time was in the class room

I would suggest it's nigh on impossible to teach someone from scratch to drive in a day and pass a test
You would need to book the test to start with.

During Granby we got dispensation to drive artic's on a class 2 licence but I don't even think anything like that happened with the recent ops.

That was a days course and off we went but it was rescinded after it was needed we didn't get the license handed to us simply because we could driver them it was another weeks course and civvy test

We all did our BFG test before going to Iraq

Latest Threads