Driving conviction

DC.PL

Swinger
Hello, I am in a bit of a pickle and was hoping to get some light or maybe even some peace of mind. I just cleared my GP medical stuff and I'm awaiting my physical assesment booked for august.

However I got myself arrested during this stage of my application for drink driving (first offence). I'm joining the infantry but looking at a 12 month ban, will my application be scrapped?

I'm not sure how to tackle this, I informed the recruiters about this and they said we'll see after the courts decision. I've read on the navy forum that I may have to wait for my ban to be over in order to reapply? I'd hate to have to wait another year just to go through this process again, any chance the army would overlook all this and let me carry on?

Thank you in advance for input

NSP

LE
You've no excuses really - it's not like in this day and age that it's not common knowledge that drinking and driving is a no-no, as well as unbelievably stupid, selfish and irresponsible. What you have done, though, is shown yourself to be irresponsible and indisciplined to an organisation that requires discipline and responsibility. Plus the element of carrying a criminal conviction about with you.

Some actual serving or former-serving types will be along shortly to offer advice. However, I would warn that you will almost certainly get a lot of stick, too.

Last edited:
It's not a driving conviction... Its a CRIMINAL Conviction.

However, before all that you'll have to go to court to answer the charge against you.
All I will suggest is dress smart, eat MASSIVE amounts of humble pie and try and impress upon the judge that he will never see you before him again!

How far over the limit were you? What did you blow?
This could make a difference were you slightly over the limit or were you pissed out of your head blowing 3 or 4 times the limit?

Last edited:

DC.PL

Swinger
I blew 45 on the breatheliser, the legal limit is 35. I obviously intend on pleading guilty and being as remorseful as humanly possible. I had one of the police officers offer to write an email stating that I was reasonable and following their orders at the time which I hope might lessen the blow a bit too.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Can I ask to why the ffl is being suggested as an alternative? Is it because you're seeing no possibility of me progressing with the British army?

Advice given by @Old Stab is as good as any, and read the guidance on the army website.

You have a criminal conviction, not a driving offence. You will likely receive a 6 month driving ban plus a fine. You may get away with the ban if you plead hardship. Nonetheless you have an uphill task and will take a lot of stick from the rest of your intake. If you do get in then suck it up. It will die down eventually. And keep your nose clean FFS.

Last edited by a moderator:
In mitigation.

"Your 'Onour,
I've made a massive error of judgement by getting behind the wheel while under the influence, I intend to join her majesty's Armed Forces ASAP and I'm in the recruitment process already, I can assure you that this was a one off mistake on my part which I wholly hold my hands up too. You will never see me in front of this court ever again, I am thoroughly ashamed to be here in front of yourself today"
. Or something like that..

In mitigation.

"Your 'Onour,
I've made a massive error of judgement by getting behind the wheel while under the influence, I intend to join her majesty's Armed Forces ASAP and I'm in the recruitment process already, I can assure you that this was a one off mistake on my part which I wholly hold my hands up too. You will never see me in front of this court ever again, I am thoroughly ashamed to be here in front of yourself today"
. Or something like that..
Makes no difference. Courts can’t Chuck things like this out. All they can do is influence sentencing (driving ban period)

mots possible to plead hardship and retain your licence but it depends on what the army says.

On this one I honestly don’t know. I know people who have been done for drink driving before they joined, and people who have had drink driving bans whilst they’re in. Never come across the grey area of a ban just before joining.

Last edited:
Firstly:
You're going to need a massive upgrade on your sense of humour.
The level of p!ss taking will only increase.

Secondly:
Advice given by @Old Stab is as good as any, and read the guidance on the army website.

You have a criminal conviction, not a driving offence. You will likely receive a 6 month driving ban plus a fine. You may get away with the ban if you plead hardship. Nonetheless you have an uphill task and will take a lot of stick from the rest of your intake. If you do get in then suck it up. It will die down eventually. And keep your nose clean FFS.
Obligatory minimum ban of 12 months - Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 section 34(1).

More inför on range of ban and fine here

I blew 45 on the breatheliser, the legal limit is 35. I obviously intend on pleading guilty and being as remorseful as humanly possible. I had one of the police officers offer to write an email stating that I was reasonable and following their orders at the time which I hope might lessen the blow a bit too.

How long before your court appearance? May I suggest getting yourself booked onto a drug and alcohol awareness course at the earliest opportunity. If you can get that sewn away then when you do go and stand in front of the beak it may, just may, have some positive bearing on his/her decision, especially if you are suitably humble. You can explain that it was out of character, as it is not something you would ever usually do, you are fully ashamed of yourself etc, and how you have a good career serving the country in Her Majesty's armed forces lined up which may now be destroyed by your inconsiderate actions and you have already taken steps to remedy your behaviour and understand fully the ramifications of drink and drug driving. (It's shit like this that gets innocent people killed or badly injured).

And FFS, whatever the outcome, don't do it again.

fd1aef48-f9fd-11e3-9475-0b976c3fcd22.jpg

DC.PL

Swinger
Thank you for the input, I will deffinately take all this into account and hope that the judge will see the regrets I now have of my actions. Again, thank you

Latest Threads