Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Driving ban!

You don’t need a solicitor to enter your own plea of mitigation and if you are worried about any aspect you can use the court duty solicitor at no Cost.
Not quite. One bar to getting a duty solicitor is that the offence has to carry the possibility of imprisonment. I gather that speeding just attracts a driving ban and a fine so the choice is between a private solicitor or an Assisting Officer.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

What do you think a paid for solicitor can do for you on a speeding charge?

It depends if you want a decent plea of mitigation or not, for a start. This might be quite important if you need to retain your licence for your job.

You were guilty, but the police are lying bastàrds?

You dick.

I've a lovely written statement by a PC, a chap in his 50's who claims I told him to F Off
when he came my door to hand me a NIP

If this never happened & other witness statements contained lies like being injured when the cctv of the event shows otherwise.... I think it fair to say "lying bastards" ?

It depends if you want a decent plea of mitigation or not, for a start. This might be quite important if you need to retain your licence for your job.

You don’t need a solicitor to enter a plea of mitigation. It doesn’t require any navigation of a complex legal system.

I've a lovely written statement by a PC, a chap in his 50's who claims I told him to F Off
when he came my door to hand me a NIP

If this never happened & other witness statements contained lies like being injured when the cctv of the event shows otherwise.... I think it fair to say "lying bastards" ?

I believe the copper.

Indeed you don't, but equally a solicitor might just make a better job of it than you would.

Where does the Solicitor get the information for your mitigation?

Here you go

That’ll be £750 thanks, you must be happy with that as I’ve just saved you £750.

I believe the copper.

I imagine the court would too....

the GF was stood in the hallway when PC Pinocchio called

When all the court papers came in the post, I read the section aloud about being "PC Pinocchio being told to f off"

The GF thought I was being comical, she was visibly shocked to read the statement with her own eyes,

Fast forwards a few years.....

ITS THAT LYING BASTARD!!

eh ? ITS THAT LYING BASTARD!!

She's pointing at the telly.......PC Pinocchio was tying to nick a fat chav & coming off worse the scuffle. how we laughed

I imagine the court would too....

the GF was stood in the hallway when PC Pinocchio called

When all the court papers came in the post, I read the section aloud about being "PC Pinocchio being told to f off"

The GF thought I was being comical, she was visibly shocked to read the statement with her own eyes,

Fast forwards a few years.....

ITS THAT LYING BASTARD!!

eh ? ITS THAT LYING BASTARD!!

She's pointing at the telly.......PC Pinocchio was tying to nick a fat chav & coming off worse the scuffle. how we laughed
Thankfully such cases of He said, She said are fewer thanks to the advent of body-worn video

Quick question, do soldiers lose pay on receiving a driving ban?
If driving is part of the trade then I suppose trade pay could be lost. I had a soldier lose her licence for drink drive (ok, I know it's not speeding before the usual suspect jumps in) and the Admin Action sanction stopped her getting a promotion so directly affected her money.

Quick question, do soldiers lose pay on receiving a driving ban?
They used to if they were a driver (I think it was classed as trade pay), I'm not sure with the new pay scheme.
I remember a CO driver (who got drunk and trashed the CO car) Who lost his acting rank, his trade pay and he moved in pads quarters the same month, I'm sure his take home pay was something like 300 quid a month in the late 90s.
Suppliers used to lose their licence with no loss of pay.

Thanks for the replies re pay loss, was always a bit of an odd one when some soldiers would lose pay whilst others would not for the same offence.

I attended Magistrates court as the accused's DO on a drink driving charge. (Thursday was drink driving day at Fareham court). Court usher (Ex WRNS) put my boy in the secure dock (unusual) and then walked past me and whispered "Chairman of the bench today is a retired Admiral" .... I adjusted my tie and sat up straight!
Which reminds me of the Midshipman who appeared on a speeding charge before Rodney Gieve, formerly Managing Director of Gieves, acting in his capacity as Chairman of the bench. The mid was duly heavily fined and promptly asked for it to be charged to his account, sadly to no avail.:eek:

Jack