Driving ban!

Quick question, do soldiers lose pay on receiving a driving ban?
Used to if driving was part of your job. First unit, most planks lost their DL on purpose, as it only meant a ban in Germany

If driving is part of the trade then I suppose trade pay could be lost. I had a soldier lose her licence for drink drive (ok, I know it's not speeding before the usual suspect jumps in) and the Admin Action sanction stopped her getting a promotion so directly affected her money.
No trade pay anymore, either High or Lower band.

I had a VM who was a Class 3 and lost his DL. He could not get Class 2 pay until he got it back.
Went back to UK to do a Drink Awareness Course to reduce his ban to six months.
His mate picked him up, they had a few drinks.
Went to course and got told to do one as he stunk of beer

Six months after passing his test he was driving at over 100 mph.

Res ipsa loquitor.

It does not indicate driving like a twat.

Don’t quote legal latin you don’t understand. It makes you look even more stupid.

One of our drivers (way way back in the mists of time) was caught for a variety of offenses - while driving the fuel bowser speeding, smoking, beret off on a road OOB to military vehicles and HGV in general.
Germans did him for the speeding and HGV on the wrong road. Lost license. Unit did him for the rest.
The lack of license had him drop pay to B3 driver, or at least this is what we were told at the time. He certainly wasn't a very happy chap for the next year.
I can believe it, we had in the 80’s a Tp Sgt who got done for D&D lost is license, as a result his pay was badly affected. In those days RAC pay was based on trades with increments for passing gunnery, signals and driving courses making you a crewman, eventually when promoted and commanding a tank you would get Comds pay on completion of the relevant course. He lost the lot, reverting to a basic Sgts pay.

Whilst having little sympathy for the D and D had he been an infantry Sgt his pay would have been unaffected.

I was driving back from custody with my oppo when we passed a girl driving while on her phone. We spun round and pulled her over. I wrote her up for a ticket and told her it was 6 points and a fine. She had only passed her test a few weeks before and when I told her she'd be losing it she tried the pleading and crying trick and said she had been phoning mate to say she was going to be late for the BBQ.

She was even later by the time I'd finished the ticket.

It does not indicate driving like a twat.

Don’t quote legal latin you don’t understand. It makes you look even more stupid.
Res ipsa loquitor.

Driving at over 100 mph six months after passing his test, the Latin phrase is entirely accurate.

And I almost certainly learned it decades before you did, BTW.

Res ipsa loquitor.

Driving at over 100 mph six months after passing his test, the Latin phrase is entirely accurate.

And I almost certainly learned it decades before you did, BTW.

You’re still assuming he drove like a twat. It’s possible to drive at 100mph and faster without driver like a twat.

Therefore his speeding does not clearly indicate he’s a twat, therefore res ipsa loquitur does not apply, even in wide sense.

Your dodgy work history doesn’t work with me. Who/what are you pretending to be this week?

I was driving back from custody with my oppo when we passed a girl driving while on her phone. We spun round and pulled her over. I wrote her up for a ticket and told her it was 6 points and a fine. She had only passed her test a few weeks before and when I told her she'd be losing it she tried the pleading and crying trick and said she had been phoning mate to say she was going to be late for the BBQ.

She was even later by the time I'd finished the ticket.

Did she swallow ?

You’re still assuming he drove like a twat. It’s possible to drive at 100mph and faster without driver like a twat.

Therefore his speeding does not clearly indicate he’s a twat, therefore res ipsa loquitur does not apply, even in wide sense.

Your dodgy work history doesn’t work with me. Who/what are you pretending to be this week?
If you think some bloke driving at over 100 mph six months after passing his driving test is him driving like a twat fair enough.

Other people have made the same comment, but I can't see you've disagreed with them?

If you think some bloke driving at over 100 mph six months after passing his driving test is him driving like a twat fair enough.

Other people have made the same comment, but I can't see you've disagreed with them?

No it doesn’t, he may be a twat for speeding, that doesn’t mean he was driving like a twat. Two different things and two different motoring offences.

Following the principle of the assumption you have made then you also drive like a twat.

@br
No it doesn’t, he may be a twat for speeding, that doesn’t mean he was driving like a twat. Two different things and two different motoring offences.

Following the principle of the assumption you have made then you also drive like a twat.
@Bravo_Bravo a twat? Really?

If he was a twat for speeding, the twattery would have been caused by his driving.

You have just agreed with me.

If he was a twat for speeding, the twattery would have been caused by his driving.

You have just agreed with me.

No I haven’t. You’re unable to understand the difference.

Berating him the way you did is a great demonstration of your leadership skills.

No I haven’t. You’re unable to understand the difference.

Berating him the way you did is a great demonstration of your leadership skills.
And if you condone a Junior driving at over 100 mph six months after passing his driving test that shows a distinct lack of leadership and management skills on your part.

Are you going to whine at the other guys who said he acted like a twat? And bleat on about leadership, even though criticising him has nothing at all to do with leadership?

Didn't think so.

some good advice from @Infiltrator I think.
You're a young inexperienced driver, driving like a twat.
My concern is if you are a driver and you can't drive because you are banned, then some other poor ****** has to pick up the slack. Maybe think on in future.
Oh and wear a suit at court.

On the subject of being an AO, I got quite good at it, helped that I had a good working knowledge of courts and criminal law thanks to my job before joining up. This was handy as I had a couple of troops filled with reprobates. I'd rock up in a 3 piece suit, ensuring the accused at least wore a shirt, jacket and tie. You don't blend in to the background or blend in at all. At magistrates, most other attendees will be a in a range of leisure wear. I kept getting asked if I was the duty brief.

My angle with the bench was the impact on the service, with the individuals needs coming a close second (that sounds familiar :) ). There is no need to bluff or go over the top tbh.

Pte E. Had a crash. Overtaking on double whites, on a bend with a junction, collided with car pulling out onto main road. Charged with Careless driving; lucky not to be dangerous driving frankly.
I explained that I agreed with the court that he had been an idiot behind the wheel and that my troop Sgt and SSgt were reminding him of this on a daily basis.
But if the court did ban him it would leave me a driver down which would increase the work load on others, etc etc. There would be a negative impact on his daily life for the next few months as he would be first choice for all the worst jobs. He got a fine and 5 points.

Pte C. Dvr Rad Op, good lad, had transferred from Inf. Got done in Lincoln for fighting (charged with Affray IIRC) and criminal damage (police car got damaged in scuffle). I told the bench he was a good chap, one of my more mature and reliable soldiers with good prospect for promotion soon. This was a bit out of character for him and I think he had been unfairly provoked (all true). I then added "I can assure the bench that whatever you award him today, we have plenty more, if not worse waiting for him back at the barracks" (maybe a slight exaggeration).
They seemed to like that and he got an unconditional discharge. His solicitor suggested to me afterwards that I might be in the wrong game.

I never charged anyone during my career. I found it more effective to give them a good dressing down with maybe a bit of "you've let me down, the troop/sqn down, etc". Then hand them over to SSM/SSgt for the full bollocking treatment followed by a few weeks/months of shit jobs.
in short, you were a proper boss.

And if you condone a Junior driving at over 100 mph six months after passing his driving test that shows a distinct lack of leadership and management skills on your part.

Are you going to whine at the other guys who said he acted like a twat? And bleat on about leadership, even though criticising him has nothing at all to do with leadership?

Didn't think so.

Again, you are assuming things. Who said I condoned anything?

I take it you’ve never exceeded the speed limit.

Again, you are assuming things. Who said I condoned anything?

I take it you’ve never exceeded the speed limit.
I didn't say you did. But since you mention it, do you?

I have broken the speed limit, but rarely. I certainly didn't drive at over 200 mph six months after I passed my driving test, because I didn't want to drive like a twat.

Are you going to whine at the other people who said he drove like a twat, or is this a continuation of your recent BB Grr syndrome?

Latest Threads