Driving at sandhurst

Discussion in 'Officers' started by paddi-8764, Feb 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was just wondering if there is any opportunities to learn to drive at sandhurst. I already have my theory test under my belt and quite a few lessons, i'm just not sure if i'll be able to get my test here before I go. Would i be able to do it through the army would i just have to book some lessons on my days off?

2. Days off?

3. What makes you think the Army will trust an Officer with anything as expensive as a motor vehicle?

Schedule it in for your first day off, which will be roughly about when you are wearing a second pip :D Which is handy, because you will be able to afford one then too :)

4. Yes, but not until Inters. At which point, it'll be one of your main priorities and you'll spend your sports afternoons, and most of Sunday, in car.
    You'll do your practical in Pirbright, and essentially try to whizz you through it ASAP.
    So no sport until you pass or you're told to go away because you're too sh1t.
    Oh, and days off? No chance.

5. As soon as you get there your time is no longer your own, I strongly suggest you sweat and get extra lessons before you start as doing a cadre is nigh on impossible now once you are in.
    Get it ASAP as without one life can be somewhat restrictive.

6. Ok perhaps "days off" was the wrong phrase to use! I was under the impression that you did get the (very) occasional weekend or whatever off. anyway I think i'll just try and get it done asap, thanks for the replies.

7. Don't dick about.

Take your test before you go and buy yourself a cheap just-pass-an-MOT car. You use the boot of the car to store all the things that you don't want to be caught with in your room (extra kit, clean spare boots, jeans, mobile phone, marijuana...). Then use the car to get the flock out of Sandhurst on leave weekends and sports afternoons (Guildford leisure centre climbing wall...).

8. But not your weapon as one member of my platoon did for about 2 hours. Needless to say, he went back to being a SSgt in the RAOC that same day.

9. No need to get it before getting here - as Macks said, the Army will pay for you to get your licence, and you'll do driving lessons on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday whilst at the Academy until you pass/get sent away for being a danger to all life on road.

Although if you were to pass before arriving, you would find it easier to bomb burst at the few weekends off, and have an easier time hauling kit about.

10. If I were you I wouldn't wait to get the Sandhurst. If it costs you £200 in lessons to pass your test that's £200 well spent.

Edited for being too off-topic.

11. Why are Officers taught to drive? Surely that is a waste of training time and money, they don´t need to do it for their job, they will ALWAYS have a driver....

Struggleing to understand this one, from the perspective of a SNCO who has had dramas getting blokes trained to drive who NEED TO....

12. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I remember as a QTO testing a young Lt from Harrogate, so some do slip through the net

13. You're talking out of your ARRSE, mate. I've been required to drive in each and every one of my postings. Away from Regimental life (ie working as a Staff Officer) you just crack on with it. If I needed to get from my HQ to a meeting, I went to the MT, filled in a works ticket and drove away. There are no drivers waiting on standby for officers who need a lift. I spent the last two years constantly moving to meetings, conferences, demos and the like: probably 2 or 3 days out of the office each week. When I was a captain life was pretty much the same. As a junior officer I drove on operations when the rest of my crew were so knackered as to be a liability.
    I've driven on every adventurous training exped I've been on, driven to sports fixtures and training sessions. I've driven to every course I've been on. Even at Sandhurst I was required to drive when I went adventurous training to France.

If I had ALWAYS had a driver, there would have had to be someone pretty much permanently assigned to drive me. Come to think of it, I went to a meeting in Blandford a while back and my old Brigade commander pulled up next to me in the car park in a LEX white-fleet Astra.

Now, I'm not suggesting that it's more important for officers to drive than soldiers - far from it - but an officer who can't drive in this day and age is going to be a total burden on his unit, particularly on the MT, and a liability on operations if something goes tits up.

14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Horsesh1t. I've never had a driver. I did a 4 day driving course shortly after leaving Sandhurst, passed and that's stood me in good stead ever since. Sure, I've occasionally been driven around by a duty driver, but no more than anyone else, commissioned or otherwise.

15. True, but when your driver turns out to be a danger to themselves and everyone on the road/training area it's easier (and safer) to get on with it yourself. Also a bit disconcerting when the driver got their license 6 weeks prior to the exercise...