Driving army trucks with troops in the back

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by APSED, Dec 3, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if you need a Cat D PCV licence to drive a Bedford with more than 8 troops in the back? I have a Cat C licence but not a Cat D1 or D and in theory can drive a Bedford or Daf with 22 people in the back but it is illegal for me to drive a minibus with no passengers, which seems a bit strange.
    Does anyone know if the Army has exceptions regarding PCV's?
  2. I think the army gets around this one by classing bedfords/dafs as dual purpose vehicles - so that Cat D isn't required. I've been driving troops around for ages and i certainly don't have a Cat D licence. so i think the answer is no - you don't need Cat D
  3. taken from the DVLA website. all the rest of the information will be crown exempt i should imagine, speak to MT they should have someone with information.
  4. I thought you had to pass the old RCT troop carrying test :lol: drive down a measured one mile pot holed road and hit every pothole with at least one case of slamming the brake on for no reason at all :lol:
  5. I don't know whether any one was around about 4 years ago when they was a huge panic on, about whether a Landy with a trailer constitued a C+E vehicle, or just a landy needed a coach license as it had seating capacity for too many people to be a car.

Blind panic, no one moved for about 3 weeks till eventually the master driver got a slap and we carried on.

Laugh I nearly exploded :lol: