Driving army trucks with troops in the back

Does anyone know if you need a Cat D PCV licence to drive a Bedford with more than 8 troops in the back? I have a Cat C licence but not a Cat D1 or D and in theory can drive a Bedford or Daf with 22 people in the back but it is illegal for me to drive a minibus with no passengers, which seems a bit strange.
Does anyone know if the Army has exceptions regarding PCV's?
I think the army gets around this one by classing bedfords/dafs as dual purpose vehicles - so that Cat D isn't required. I've been driving troops around for ages and i certainly don't have a Cat D licence. so i think the answer is no - you don't need Cat D
If you had entitlement to drive cars prior to 1 January 1997 - shown as group A (B for automatics) on an old style green or pink licence or as category B and D1 not for hire or reward on a pink and green or photocard licence - you can drive a minibus provided :

You are 21 or over, the minibus has a maximum of 17 seats including the driver's seat and is not being used for hire or reward.
To drive a minibus which has 9 or more passenger seats for hire or reward you will normally need passenger carrying vehicle entitlement [PCV] (category D1 or D). To obtain this you must meet higher medical standards and take a further driving test.

Hire or reward encompasses any payment in cash or kind by (or on behalf of) passengers which gives them a right to be carried.

However, if you drive a minibus for an organisation under the Minibus or Community Bus Permit Scheme, you will NOT need a category D1 or D licence even if a charge is made to passengers - please see the section on these pages covering Minibus and Community Bus Permits.
2. Drivers who do not have minibus entitlement (Category D1)
If your driving licence does not allow you to drive minibuses, there are certain circumstances where you still may be able to do so.

You may drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats if:

i) you drive on behalf of a non commercial body for social purposes but not for hire or reward, unless operating under a permit;

ii) you are aged 21;

iii) you have held a car (category B) licence for at least 2 years;

iv) you are providing your service on a voluntary basis; and

v) the minibus maximum weight is not more than 3.5 tonnes excluding any specialist equipment for the carriage of disabled passengers. Minibuses up to 4.25 tonnes will be permitted in certain circumstances.

vi)if you are aged 70 and over, you are able to meet the health standards for driving a vehicle (i.e. minibus) which comes within the D1 class;

When driving a minibus under these conditions you may not receive any payment or consideration for doing so other than out of pocket expenses or tow any size trailer; you may only drive minibuses in this country.

Drivers aged 70 or over will need to make a special application which involves meeting higher medical standards.
taken from the DVLA website. all the rest of the information will be crown exempt i should imagine, speak to MT they should have someone with information.
I thought you had to pass the old RCT troop carrying test :lol: drive down a measured one mile pot holed road and hit every pothole with at least one case of slamming the brake on for no reason at all :lol:
I don't know whether any one was around about 4 years ago when they was a huge panic on, about whether a Landy with a trailer constitued a C+E vehicle, or just a landy needed a coach license as it had seating capacity for too many people to be a car.

Blind panic, no one moved for about 3 weeks till eventually the master driver got a slap and we carried on.

Laugh I nearly exploded :lol:

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads