Drivers running out of fuel. How many MPG? :?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by EX_STAB, Jul 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I though this didn't sound right so I checked it.
    £10 at £1.20 litre buys 8.33 Litres of fuel. This equals 1.83 Gallons. To do 100 miles on this much fuel the vehicle would need to be doing nearly 55 miles per gallon. To do 110 miles it would need to be doing 60 mpg.

Now I may be slightly out of touch but since when did the "average" car manage that sort of fuel performance? I've driven some that managed over 50 on a long steady run but they were very much the exception.

With "expert advice" like this no wonder people are running out!

2. msr

msr LE

My Honda Jazz (petrol) returns 64.5 mpg on the motorway if I keep to 60mph.

It's an average car.

msr

3. Simple, it doesn't. Your average family car with a 2 litre diesel engine will do about 45-50 mpg on the combined cycle (yes I know some are better / worse before anyone gets pedantic). The official figures quoted are pretty hard to achieve in the real world anyway, so a 45mpg car would probably average around 40. With a decent diesel, driving at sensible constant speed (ie motorway) you could realistically expect 60mpg but I would suggest a lot of people aren't in this situation in the first place (school runs, urban environments etc)

4. Very average! ;)

I would have thought this was towards the top end. What does it do over a mixed cycle? My brother has an Astra Estate and it does 32 -35.

5. Honda Jazz 1.2 official combined: 51.4mpg
    Honda Jazz 1.4 official combined: 48.7mpg

God, I'm a car geek! 8O

6. When your fuel light comes on and the needle is on the lowest position, some people used to say you still had about a coupkle of litres in reserve.
    Is that right???

7. I would agree that a Honda Jazz is very average, but a performance of 60mpg self-evidently isn't. Few cars do better than this and for most it's more in the range of 30-45mpg.

8. Varies by vehicle. I would have thought 2 litres as minimum.

9. Depends on the vehicle, expect around 30 miles normal driving in the tank when the warning light comes on.

10. It's more likely he'll be driving a car. ;)

11. msr

msr LE

Good job I have no problems with my masculinity..

And my car tax drops to £30 next year :)

msr

12. Did you wake up this morning and think 'I'll be mr. pedantic today'? :)

13. Indeed. It's what my (retired) mum drives, but she is adamant it's a really good car. If you don't mind driving it then more grist to your mill!

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

That is not an average car. It is one stage up from a pedal car, and I would be too embarrased to admit I owned one.

I would rather sell a kidney to buy and run a decent car or walk than admit to a Honda Jazz. :D

15. But it is a nice pink one, msr has fully embraced the metrosexual lifestyle you know 8O