Drivers running out of fuel. How many MPG? :?

Cost-cutting car owners are regularly running out of fuel as they try to economise during this period of record-high petrol prices, it was revealed.

Many motorists are "driving on empty" with 20% saying they can no longer afford to fill their tank right up, a survey by breakdown company Britannia Rescue found.

In the last three months, 340,000 drivers have suffered a breakdown due to running out of fuel - 10% more than the same period last year.

Single parents and young professionals are the ones most likely to avoid completely filling up at the pumps, while in the last three months 59% of drivers have allowed their fuel level to fall so low the warning light has come on.

Around a quarter of the 1,467 drivers polled said they drove their car on hardly any fuel at least once a month and 8% admitted driving close to empty all the time.

Few drivers appeared to have any idea how much fuel it took to run their car, with only 4% correctly estimating that the average car could drive 100-110 miles on £10 worth of fuel.

Also, 21% said they no longer used the car's air conditioning in an effort to save fuel and 38% were driving more slowly.

The survey also revealed that during the recent Shell strike many motorists panic-bought, with only 11% buying fuel when necessary.

Britannia Rescue spokeswoman Emma Holyer said: "Increases in fuel prices are hitting drivers hard, especially against a background of rising food and housing costs. But while it is now more costly to fill up at the pumps, running a car on empty can damage a car's fuel pump - requiring repairs that will make a full tank of £50 petrol seem like a bargain.

"Drivers who run their car on empty are also at high risk of breaking down. Not only is this extremely costly if you don't have breakdown cover and also very inconvenient, running out of fuel on the roads that don't have a hard shoulder can create major safety hazards for other drivers."
I though this didn't sound right so I checked it.
£10 at £1.20 litre buys 8.33 Litres of fuel. This equals 1.83 Gallons. To do 100 miles on this much fuel the vehicle would need to be doing nearly 55 miles per gallon. To do 110 miles it would need to be doing 60 mpg.

Now I may be slightly out of touch but since when did the "average" car manage that sort of fuel performance? I've driven some that managed over 50 on a long steady run but they were very much the exception.

With "expert advice" like this no wonder people are running out!

My Honda Jazz (petrol) returns 64.5 mpg on the motorway if I keep to 60mph.

It's an average car.

msr

EX_STAB said:
I though this didn't sound right so I checked it.
£10 at £1.20 litre buys 8.33 Litres of fuel. This equals 1.83 Gallons. To do 100 miles on this much fuel the vehicle would need to be doing nearly 55 miles per gallon. To do 110 miles it would need to be doing 60 mpg.

Now I may be slightly out of touch but since when did the "average" car manage that sort of fuel performance?
Simple, it doesn't. Your average family car with a 2 litre diesel engine will do about 45-50 mpg on the combined cycle (yes I know some are better / worse before anyone gets pedantic). The official figures quoted are pretty hard to achieve in the real world anyway, so a 45mpg car would probably average around 40. With a decent diesel, driving at sensible constant speed (ie motorway) you could realistically expect 60mpg but I would suggest a lot of people aren't in this situation in the first place (school runs, urban environments etc)

msr said:

It's an average car.

msr
Very average! ;)

I would have thought this was towards the top end. What does it do over a mixed cycle? My brother has an Astra Estate and it does 32 -35.

When your fuel light comes on and the needle is on the lowest position, some people used to say you still had about a coupkle of litres in reserve.
Is that right???

I would agree that a Honda Jazz is very average, but a performance of 60mpg self-evidently isn't. Few cars do better than this and for most it's more in the range of 30-45mpg.

OLDBIGHEAD said:
When your fuel light comes on and the needle is on the lowest position, some people used to say you still had about a coupkle of litres in reserve.
Is that right???
Varies by vehicle. I would have thought 2 litres as minimum.

OLDBIGHEAD said:
Is that right???
Depends on the vehicle, expect around 30 miles normal driving in the tank when the warning light comes on.

REgards said:
OLDBIGHEAD said:
Is that right???
Depends on the vehicle, expect around 30 miles normal driving in the tank when the warning light comes on.
It's more likely he'll be driving a car. ;)

Good job I have no problems with my masculinity..

And my car tax drops to £30 next year :)

msr

EX_STAB said:
REgards said:
OLDBIGHEAD said:
Is that right???
It's more likely he'll be driving a car. ;)
Did you wake up this morning and think 'I'll be mr. pedantic today'? :)

The_Duke

LE
msr said:

It's an average car.

msr
That is not an average car. It is one stage up from a pedal car, and I would be too embarrased to admit I owned one.

I would rather sell a kidney to buy and run a decent car or walk than admit to a Honda Jazz. :D

The_Duke said:
msr said:

It's an average car.

msr
That is not an average car. It is one stage up from a pedal car, and I would be too embarrased to admit I owned one.

I would rather sell a kidney to buy and run a decent car or walk than admit to a Honda Jazz. :D
Fortunately my other car is a bike:

The_Duke said:
msr said:

It's an average car.

msr

Agreed! The Honda **** is a powerless car, that is always holding me up when trying to get somewhere, and usually driven by old people! Oh, and one lad I work with, who gets no end of grief for having one.

msr said:
Good job I have no problems with my masculinity..

And my car tax drops to £30 next year :)

msr
Car tax? I don't pay any car tax!

Does that make me a bit gay? ;)

Thinking on, where does that put Jarrod! :?

The_Duke

LE
You are forgiven.

I assume you continue to wear a full face helmet with tinted visor while in the Grannymobile, just for your own decency?