Driverless vehicles - Blind Veterans

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Anyone in the Brighton area today can help Blind Veterans UK with their data collection by sitting in a driverless 'car' and being filmed.

mrdude

War Hero
I would, but there's too many 'not straight' people live in or frequent Brighton - so I live about as far away from it as possible (while still being in the UK).
Still - a good cause though, so if you live in that area - get out your house and do something useful today!

I know of a blind veteran who lives in Brighton, a former member of this esteemed site. Having only just stumbled across this post it's probably a bit late to pass this on. Even so, I'd be fairly sure he'd already be aware of it.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Great idea, but concerned it might be steered using Alexa etc - "Alexa, take me to Acacia Avenue" - "ok here is the recipe for Wasabi"
Not taking the p1ss, am genuinely interested to know how the destination is entered.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Did this a while back and posted it in self-taken photos, but here it is again:
IMG_0948.JPG

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Great idea, but concerned it might be steered using Alexa etc - "Alexa, take me to Acacia Avenue" - "ok here is the recipe for Wasabi"
Not taking the p1ss, am genuinely interested to know how the destination is entered.
It’s typed in obviously

432*6 dghrthnyh gt
Gyuton

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
It’s typed in obviously

432*6 dghrthnyh gt
Gyuton
It uses GPS, but to some extent you're correct. It has a dead man's switch, otherwise it senses other vehicles and obstacles. It is also being tested at Heathrow for baggage handling.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
It uses GPS, but to some extent you're correct. It has a dead man's switch, otherwise it senses other vehicles and obstacles. It is also being tested at Heathrow for baggage handling.
If they can get through Heathrow, they should be good then.

Not everybody that is registered blind has zero vision.

I used to be responsible for arranging the production of alternative format documents through the RNIB for a large insurance company. One day I had an interesting conversation with the travel manager.

"Don't we insure blind people to go on holiday?"
"Why?"
"Well we sold 200,000 Travel policies last year and I've had one request for large print documents. I've had more requests for Braille car insurance."
She tells me to stop taking the piss. I then pull up the details of a dozen customers who have requested Braille car insurance documents in the last year.

If this car gets off the ground we might get to the point where no-one sees a problem with that story.

Latest Threads