Discussion in 'RLC' started by minicoin, Aug 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. alrite. im new, so dont take the piss to much. errmmm im thinking of a driving career in the RLC. can some one tel me about it? is it any good? or bad?

possibly even thinking about OPA in RA?

2. Can you drive?
  3. no, i have a proviosional licence though
  4. im on about the job as a driver. thanks though. i was told that i would be in the stores aswell. how much driving would i do on a typical day?
  5. 8 hours with 2 45 minute breaks.
  6. All depends on what your doing,

Day to day you could be on guard duty/servicing the waggons/course's/training/ exercise or on op's the job's what you make it. beetere than being an RA plank though :p
  7. Like everything else it depends.

At some units you could be out on detail almost everyday, other units only a couple of times a week. The details could range from 8 hour drives with a 45 minute break or just half hour jollies, in vehicles from civvy hire cars to 15 Tonne DROPS with a trailer. On Exercise or Operations (such as TELIC) you could be driving up to 20 odd hours a day.

As for the stores side of things you could end up running or working in a store but that is very unlikely to happen for a few years. As a new driver you would mostly to doing driving or the day to day servicing of vehicles.
  8. Come to 7 regt and sweep the streets and run up hills all day coz we aint got no trucks anymore
  9. Thought you had some 'special people' to do that. The ones stay at your pleasure :D