Driver scanning and connection issues

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jan 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I'm having serious problems with my connection at the minute. T'Internet is generally fine, but when I'm playing Warhammer Online it regularly lags out and goes completely for a sh*t. It's doing my head in.

I've got a sneaky suspicion it's the router, although it might be the ports I need to open. There's a lot of ports need opening and best I can find on Vista is a method to do them individually. I can't do ranges, which means 1064-64000 is going to take a while. Bugger that. I've looked in my router firmware and there's nothing there either.

Anyway, in the mean time I'm thinking maybe my wireless card is to blame. When it all dies I generally reboot the router and reset the wireless card. Generally this works, but I can have serious trouble reconnecting to the router. Often I get limited connection warnings, local access only or whatever - even though the router itself is still connected to the Net and my laptop (wired to it) has no issues.

I thought I'd check my drivers, and downloaded a couple of "free" tools that scan your system and tell you what's out of date. Thing is, when you hit the "download these drivers" button it suddenly stops being free. This was the case with Uniblue Driver Agent and Driver Detective.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve any of my problems or find a genuinely free driver scan/download package?
  2. drivermax will check your system out and find the up to date drivers for you and its free, but i still think you may need to do port forwarding on your router
  3. If you suspect the wireless card, have you got a nic to connect by cat 5 cable?

For updating drivers I normally just go to individual device manufacturers websites and picking the right driver myself (apart from doing a new build I'll leave it to windows update).