Driver/Periodic CPC

Ok new LGV/PCV drivers have to take Initial CPC and those who have held a Licence longer take Periodic CPC of 35 hours training (x5 days of 7 hours or other training such as HIAB or ADR etc) every 5 years.
Those who hold a licence need to do it before September 2014 & it lasts for 5 years.
But should car drivers not have to take it as well?

An example a friend passed his test at 17 in 1983 and since then has not probably looked at the highway code.
A lot has changed in nearly 30 years!

So should the CPC scheme be made compulsory for car drivers to?
Instead of 35 hours say a 1 day course of 7 years?
What do others think??

Well it would make Arters happy and sad. He would have a decent income stream for the rest of his life. Though trying toi get all those car and bike licence holders through it would be a bloody nightmare. Its bad enough getting the HGV/PCV lot through it.

Naw, we've got enough numpty LGV Drivers to contend with so don't try and add
a few million car driving plonkers......and cods to being set up for life, I'm orft, I tell
you, ORFT!

1 week more for me then its continental all the way. i know still got dcpc to do but easier life over on the other side of the ditch.

I must warn any one that hasn't started the DCPC already, get your fingers out, the back log is massive and will not cope with all the LGV/PCV by Sept '14, therefore there will be a ll of drivers of the road!!!! As of Sept '14 NO DCPC MEANS NO LICENCE. On the up side there will be a lot of jobs going..

You have been warned.....

I must warn any one that hasn't started the DCPC already, get your fingers out, the back log is massive and will not cope with all the LGV/PCV by Sept '14, therefore there will be a ll of drivers of the road!!!! As of Sept '14 NO DCPC MEANS NO LICENCE. On the up side there will be a lot of jobs going..

You have been warned.....
Not quite true, No DCPC means no entitlement to undertake “Work” as a LGV driver – You’d still hold your licence post Sept 2014, however you’d only be able to drive LGV’s on a “not for hire and reward” basis if you fail to complete the DCPC

Either way it still means get yourself squared away before Sept '14.

You have to act NOW

No DCPC= no work

R

renamed_user

I run a small business (readymixed concrete supply) with 7 LGVs, there are seven of us who will have to take 5 days out of our lives to sit through this course and then every 5 years we will have to repeat the process. Who's paying for all this? me or the employees? How do I get get us all processed without affecting the day to day running of the company? I did my transport managers CPC twenty years ago (at Brompton Barracks, evening classes paid for by me) apparently that does not count, I still need to do this new driver CPC otherwise I will loose my LGV entitlement, again which I paid for. If I shut the firm down for 5 working days we will loose many thousands of £s and piss off customers who will go to my competitors (mostly large multinational companies who now employ eastern european drivers). IMHO driver CPC is yet another tax on business, my firm annually pays over £300k in various taxes, we were paying more when times were better. Plus we employ ten staff who have worked here between 5 and 10 years. Our fleet is very modern as we are near London and have to comply with the LEZ.
As I mentioned above many similar drivers are from the EU, are they doing the full driver cpc? or do they turn up for a job with a foreign "ticket" and nod and a wink gets them the job.
We have already spoken to an instructor for this course who will in exchange for cash cut huge corners off the course and get us all our ticket. So I suppose everyones a winner ish.

We have already spoken to an instructor for this course who will in exchange for cash cut huge corners off the course and get us all our ticket. So I suppose everyones a winner ish.
Suggest you make sure that they have been approved and that they are registered by the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT). Otherwise the training is worthless!

As I mentioned above many similar drivers are from the EU, are they doing the full driver cpc? or do they turn up for a job with a foreign "ticket" and nod and a wink gets them the job.
I believe that UK is the last country in EU to implement it

Does anyone have any links or sources of test examples /downloads/practice papaers for CPC/PCV training...

Hopefully the petrolhead arrse contingent can assist as google brings up companies offering training and a wealth of stuff that's either scant or of not much use.

One company offers the lot for £79.99 but I'm Scottish..and therefore tight as a drum.
daz or arters will be your best bet for any advice on any training issues I reckon.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Driver CPC has no exams to do!
You attend each day and get a certificate at the end.
The training company uploads your details after each day to DVLA(cost is £8.75)
Do 5 days of training and you get your Driver Qualification Card.

Initial Driver CPC is different and i know not a lot about it!!

IF you drive for HM Forces you do not need DriverCPC.
However for hire or reward ie getting paid for it in a civy company you do!

Million and fltpilot thanks for the answers.

What is the reason behind mil dvrs being exempt - we no longer have crown immunity to the law, and if it is law surely we should be complying.

There are a number of Driver CPC exemptions associated with the Directive. These are:
Vehicles used by or under control of the armed forces, civil defence the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order.

All new drivers acquiring the PCV or LGV vocational entitlement (Category C, C+E, C1, C1+E, D, D+E, D1, D1+E) after September 10th 2008 will have to complete the 35 hours of training in addition to their licence acquisition. If you are an existing driver with a vocational licence you are exempt from the initial Driver CPC requirement. This is known as "acquired rights", but you will still need to complete your rolling 5 years of 35 hours training. For PCV drivers this must be completed by September 2013 and for LGV drivers this must be completed by September 2014.

Therefor if you leave the Military on the Friday & want to drive for a Civy firm on the Monday you will need Driver CPC.
You are also affected if you drive a minibus with more than 9 passenger seats or a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes.

Just had this in by email:

I have never served but enjoy reading your site today I read a thread:]
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cars-bikes-n-afvs/190505-driver-periodic-cpc-2.html and I would like to let the chap's know what bollocks CPC is, as follows:

You can do the same course/ module 5 times over and still have your 35 CPC hours for the period. No specification is made that you have to do a selection of units. Doesn't that devalue the training and take the piss out of the personnel attending? Something needs to be done to stop CPC being a money making exercise ripping off hard working chaps and gals.

As the guy says, it's bollocks until they tighten up the criteria for course content. There's nothing to stop you turning up and sleeping throughout the whole day as it's purely an attendance course.

As the guy says, it's bollocks until they tighten up the criteria for course content. There's nothing to stop you turning up and sleeping throughout the whole day as it's purely an attendance course.
Or (as it is your money) you could make it useful. I had Grandfather rights so didn't need to take CPC....yet. But, I decided to and used it to obtain ADR (21 hrs) and brush up on tacho rules and H&S. 35 hrs given and my DQC now covers me up to 2019. Yes it is another 'tax' but try to make it something useful for you.

Just had this in by email:
I have never served but enjoy reading your site today I read a thread:]
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cars-bikes-n-...dic-cpc-2.html and I would like to let the chap's know what bollocks CPC is, as follows:

You can do the same course/ module 5 times over and still have your 35 CPC hours for the period. No specification is made that you have to do a selection of units. Doesn't that devalue the training and take the piss out of the personnel attending? Something needs to be done to stop CPC being a money making exercise ripping off hard working chaps and gals.
Well, the mystery poster is correct, You can indeed "do the same course/ module 5 times over"....however, it depends on how you take them as to if it devalues the training. Now if you were do them back to back, yes it would be devalued, however the reality is, most drivers I see doing the same modules are sent on them by their firm, typically the company concerned sends their drivers on the drivers hours module once a year, because for a couple of months after the course the drivers toe the line, they then start to back slide into their old habits, hence the refresher.
Some company's also use the drivers hours module as part of their discipline procedures - to many infringements, send the numpty on a drivers hours session, thats then logged in-case VOSA sniff around, result is the company can demonstrate its trying to be compliant and dealing with infringements in a proactive manner by offering remedial training.

Daz