Driver linemen, do we really need them in the signals?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by mylittlepony, Aug 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Royal Signals Driver (Lineman), do we really need this trade in the signals?, or would we all be better off moving them to the Royal Logistics Corps where they could all find their soul mates.

Lets face it, the Royal Signals recruiting drive advertises IT/COMMS, not WORKSTICKETS/HIRECARS.

2. [​IMG]

Do we need them, why yes we do. Thanks for the crap thread though!

3. Having been out of the sigs for around 25 years, I am not exactly up on latest kit etc. But, if you still need lines laying, then I guess Linemen are still required!!

4. Pink girl, wot trade r u? Just sounds like ur tryin to start a flame war. Besides who's gonna drive the CO, if we get rid of the Linies. Sayin that all the linies r doin at my unit is drivin ppl to and from Brize Nortan airport.

5. So do you think you've just answered the thread?

mylittlpony - I like your attempt at a sniping war, but to be honest it was far too blunt. It's far better to try a bit of subtlety first - give some positive suggestions and comments, then wait for responses. Only then do you deliver the coup de grace! :twisted:

There's some great guys in the liney trade - and at least we can get some soldiering out of them, as no one wants to be seen to be a REMF if they can help it. Imagine we had a section of drivers from the RLC - they'd be quoting you regulations any time you wanted a bloody landrover. Can you imagine trying to get one of them to do a detail for you, guaranteed to be a bureaucratic nightmare. same goes for Tech Sup Specs - if we had RLC Sup Specs/Sup Cons running the QM(T) I bet they'd be a nightmare. And all the rugmunchers would end up joining other tradegroups - I prefer most of them to be out the way in the QMs. 8O

6. hi, im a liney or am i a driver or am i a driver line ..fuuck i dont know it has changed that many times in last 15 years...........any way..................do r signals need us .......to tell truth , i dont know , but if i joined again , i would not be a liney !!
    its shit..................................................................but better the devil you know...........

7. If you ever go on exercise with ARRC then you'll realise that liney's are needed. They work like fukc putting out at least 10 miles of cable from HF to 7Q. Then once done and all phones put out, some tit of a stf officer doesnt like his phone next to the dutch guy next to him and wants to move next to his best bud across the room, which takes another 2 hours to sort out. And when 30 or 40 are doing this its hard work.

Do we need liney's I wouldn't fukcing do it would you???

8. If you ever go on exercise with ARRC then you'll realise that liney's are needed. They work like fukc putting out at least 10 miles of cable from HF to 7Q. Then once done and all phones put out, some tit of a stf officer doesnt like his phone next to the dutch guy next to him and wants to move next to his best bud across the room, which takes another 2 hours to sort out. And when 30 or 40 are doing this its hard work.

Do we need liney's I wouldn't fukcing do it would you???

9. Yes we do.

10. You've hit the nail right on the head there mate, as a DVR/LMN I think the corps would be far worse off if we all became RLC. Personnaly I wouldn't mind changing corps, as to be quite frank I have no love whatsoever for the Signals, plus as you quite rightly put it, I would be MR bureaucratic Nightmare in the flesh "So Yos Scaleyback you want what,when,where -sorry this conflicts with JSP 341/drivinghours/ drivers standing orders etc,etc,"

11. Sorry QinetiQ, don't know when the last time was that you went on exercise with HQ ARRC but what you say is no longer the case (Or at least wasn't up 'til recently).

The fact of it is that the only time you're likely to see a driver lineman anywhere near the build is when the CO turns up to have a look.

Pulling cable and setting out subsets etc during my time there fell to the techs / ops.

Not that I wish to take anything away from the Lineys, it's just that from what I saw they were employed exclusively in their role as Dvr/MT.

Anyway, I like Lineys, some of my best mates are Tick Thwats!! :wink:

12. Some of you say that the RLC would be a jsp quoting nightmare, i beg to differ.!

I spent a good few years working with the RLC, when i wanted a hire car, i got one.

when i wanted a big hire car, i got one.

when i wanted a car for more than a week, i got one, no questions asked.

when my matrix test ran out, they did it for me, no need to actually do it again, lets face it what monger would fail?

When i got a vehicle, it was roadworthy, had fuel in it, the worksticket was filled out correctly, i had a control number, etc.

At a Signal Regiment however,,,you want a hire car, submit the request 2 weeks in avance or get f@@ked!
    you want a big hire car, you get what you're given.
    you want a car for more than a week, you've got to be joking, my budget, etc
    Matrix test has ran out, if you refer to jsp 341 blah, blah, blah
    POL the vehicle, i'm afraid the pol point is broken, you'll have to go down town, and by
    the way there's no agency cards.

Is it just me.?

13. mylittlepony, it ain't really the trade ur slating its the system. At my units the MT seems to be running ok. We don't have to submit two weeks in advance, we normally get a car when we want one. Our POL system is working fine.

Are you sure IT IS the MT that you are going to? Maybe ur at a crap unit or maybe ur just a child of mong.

14. I think to an extent it does depend on the unit. If you have the right collection of jobsworths then any unit can turn into a nightmare. By contrast, a Regt with a good ethos throughout the ranks will tend to have a higher degree of trust and therefore you won't need 20-odd signatures in triplicate, six weeks in advance just to get something done.

15. Speaking of "Child of Mong" - why are you still in my Trade?? Fcuk Off Drama_ BoY / Drama_Bore. That said, we agree with The Holy Father on this one :roll: