Driver Lineman

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by happyhammer, Jun 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just trying to get a feel of the situation throughout the Corp. I have a number of Lineman awaiting class one upgrading cses. They are having massive problems due to backlog and have been told that due to there not being a class one selection process as with the operators there is no pecking order established when it comes to loading cses. should class one cse be able to run in house and acredited by Blandord? a point to note is that the Leconfield phase isnt the problem its the 2 cses a year that they run at the school. Any comments welcome as this trade group at the minute i personally feel are being shafted.

2. It comes down to supply and demand.

But what should be happening now is that TDT/RSS should be approached by units with a problems in this area.

Things will not change at Blandford unless TDT say so, systems approach to training and all that!!.

If you have sufficient numbers (or can create a sufficient course loading with in an AOR) there may be a good argument to loan out 1 or 2 of the 4 Lineman Instructors from Cable Systems. However you would have to ensure you had adequate training and reproduction resources available (toolkits, cable, connectors etc) and the Instructors would have to be available too.

If there is a window of opportunity Cable Systems may be able to run an extra course or two but again its availability of Instructors and Classrooms and the will of TDT to allow this to happen.

Cable Systems unlike the other departments typically are non stop with training, even on the Lineman side there are commitments BSS, Phase2 and 3 training as well as the may ACF commitments etc.

For advice I recommend ringing the HIO of Cable Systems he will give further advice.

3. i did this course in 2000.....leconfield stage worth while ..blandford stage . learnt nothing.....my advice is to all your class 2 linemen is ..................RE TRADE NOW. only 5 cpl made the sgt selection this year .................I wish i re traded back then ! bit old now to knock about with sprogs see.................FCUK ALL THIS LINEYS GOD TRADE SHIIT.........................ITS A BOLLOX TRADE ..........WELL ITS NOT EVEN A TRADE ISIT ! lads do one and get a trade ..............................

4. The issue with the lineman as pull it says is frustating, but correct me if your think im wrong. if your not a class one you cant service and inspect vehicles. This has an effect certainly where i am where we have 1 class one Cpl able to do this job yet a fleet of approx 50 wheeled vehicles. A lot of which are VOR due to being out of date on servicing. This obvioulsy has a knock on effect with operational effectiveness. But i think the Corps needs to address the problem because the demand for course far out ways the supply of them. I have 5 in my Sqn alone awainting classs one training. So i dread to think what the situation is like at a Regt like 7 SR where the lineman are instrumental to the construction of ARRC main where KM of cable is layed. No doubt a lot of frustrated lineman!

5. The loading of the course should be the responsibility of MCM Div (not sure for this particular course but it normally is), based on career profile, age, unit manning and any other relevant factor. If you have soldiers that require their Class 1, your unit chain of command needs to formally staff their cases to MCM Div.

If your unit believes that there are insufficient course places per year, they need to speak to the training branch in HQ SOINC (A) - It is they who set the Statement Of Training Requirement (SOTR) for each year.

If the school can meet the requirement they do so as soon as programming and commitments allow. If the school needs more resources (instructors, classrooms etc) they ask for them. At this point one of two things happens:

1. They are given the additional resources and deliver the course.

2. They are not given the resources and the lack of course places has to be managed by HQ SOINC (A), MCM Div and HQ Land.

So, I would suggest that your unit 2IC/Adjt/OC needs to speak with MCM Div and HQ SOINC (A) to see if more places can be provided. This maybe a problem that is known about and resources are not available, or it maybe that the problem has not been correctly highlighted before?

6. I've had a quick look with google and found the latest course programme from the school RSS Course Programme

It shows that there are two Dvr Lineman Upgrading courses per year, each with 16 places. So there are 32 places available per year - is that really insufficient? It also confirms that the loading authority is MCM Div.

I would suggest following the last paragraph of my previous post.

Hope that helps.

7. Done most of the above and mcm div said if they have been selected for promotion to Cpl they will get the priority....but what about the Lcpls we had SOin C visit the Sqn last month and he is aware. TDT i think need to grab the bull by the horns.....how...any suggestions?

8. Unless I am getting confused here it is not down to TDT. Your unit needs to raise this formally with HQ SOINC (A) Training Branch - they are the ones who specify how many places there need to be each year.

It would be even better if several units all call/write/email the training branch in quick succession they will realise it is a problem. So perhaps speak to your counterparts in other units and see if they have the same problems - ask them to raise it formally with their chain of command.

Get someone in your unit chain of command to speak with HQ SOINC (A) and explain the issue. They should either deal with it or explain why the problem can not be solved.

9. i may have given wrong signal ..sorry... i was hoping TDT would give permission to run in house courses and ratify them.

10. I think that your first approach should be the one in my last few posts. If they can't run more courses at the school then your unit could ask to deliver one 'in-house', but as Disco has already pointed out this is not necessarily a simple task.

Use the chain of command to solve the problem. If the SOINC (A) is already aware of the issue (as you stated in a previous post) his training branch may already be onto the case. However a little push from one (or more) field units will certainly help.

11. worth a try thanx for the feedback.....any more solutions/ suggestions welcome

12. Surely your Regiment has a pecking order. My unit is able to influence course loading to some degree - surely you just recommend through the chain of command that Cpls J Bloggs is the best man or woman to get through Class 1 ASAP? The Adjt must have some ability to speak to MCM Div and shift people up and down the loading list?

PD

13. your point is a good one but every regt fight their respective soldiers case it doesnt solve the problem. an entrance exam like the operators and techs would be fairer, i have talked to desk officers and the feeling i get is that everyone is trying to do right by the soldier and all could put foward some cracking penalty statements...loading cses from the top down according to how well u did on the exam.....what do u think...

14. i was a lineman for 10 and half years in the end i got so peved at being passed over for the next rank i left . put a pvr request in and got out and i have to say its the best move i ever made i now earn more than a rsm does and dont have any greif.

the only thing i really do miss is the social side you just cant have nights as good in civ div as u get in the army.

but i know if i was a l/cpl now waiting for a cse so i could get me second up and was not getting the cse i would pvr u bet the min u do you will offered ya cse and a sunshine posting just to keep you.

the wages paid to soldiers is a joke and allways has been the goverment should put a soldiers wage on the same rate as the police and should have missive bonus for when the boys go on ops but thats just my view.....

daz
    ex liney 89-99

15. i was a lineman for 10 and half years in the end i got so peved at being passed over for the next rank i left . put a pvr request in and got out and i have to say its the best move i ever made i now earn more than a rsm does and dont have any greif.

the only thing i really do miss is the social side you just cant have nights as good in civ div as u get in the army.

but i know if i was a l/cpl now waiting for a cse so i could get me second up and was not getting the cse i would pvr u bet the min u do you will offered ya cse and a sunshine posting just to keep you.

the wages paid to soldiers is a joke and allways has been the goverment should put a soldiers wage on the same rate as the police and should have missive bonus for when the boys go on ops but thats just my view.....

daz
    ex liney 89-99