Driver CPC Deadline

Driver CPC deadline in 1 Month's time!
So have you done it or not doing it, as many seem not to.
Recent RHA report said some 30k still to do it, but not sure if a scare tactic?

Will within a few weeks find out through the RHA how many have given up on LGV licences?
Not sure who reports on PCV holders giving up?

ugly

LE
Not for gain or reward

ugly

LE
I have done nothing, the once or twice a year I drve anything that would qualify if done daily is merely as a favour so exempt

I've got the first of mine tomorrow along with a couple of my drivers.

I've got two drivers who don't intend to do theirs and are either retiring or going to van work.

I have done nothing, the once or twice a year I drve anything that would qualify if done daily is merely as a favour so exempt

Not if the person you are doing the favour for is doing it commercially.
Doesn't actually matter if you personally are paid for it or not.

As a something to do in a quiet week I’m keeping my licence and doing my last days cpc when we get back from hols at the end of the month.
Anecdotally though I asked quintain who does / did our cpc courses how many of his old clients have dropped off his radar and haven’t bothered renewing.
He couldn’t put a figure on it but his gut feeling was it was as many as dropped out on the first cycle.
If this is correct,,,,,,,, EEK!,! I’m glad I’ll not be in the recruiting scrum in the run up to this Christmas.
As a driver though I suspect rates will be going up!.

ugly

LE
Not if the person you are doing the favour for is doing it commercially.
Doesn't actually matter if you personally are paid for it or not.
Empty horse boxes usually

ugly

LE
I often do favours for young ladies who have horses and dont have grand father rights

For tomorrows pleasure I have two parts to the days CPC course.

Driving Commercially in the UK
Customer Service.

Utterly pointless hoop jumping exercise.
For myself and my lads its not to bad, work pays for the courses and pays them for the time to do it. They still don't want to do it though.
Not all drivers are quite so lucky and have to pay for this drivel out of their own pockets.

Of the three of us on the course tomorrow we have a combined 80 years of commercial driving experience of one form or another.

The RHA posted a while ago that the average average wage for HGV2(LGV C) £28k & HGV1(LGV C+E) £32
When I looked at it early 2018, C was £21k+ & C+E £24k, as for agencies a complete joke!
And always the drivers fault even if they are in the right.

Last edited:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The RHA posted a while ago that the average average wage for HGV2(LGV C) £28k & HGV1(LGV C+E) £32
When I looked at it early 2018, C was £21k+ & C+E £24k, as for agencies a complete joke!
You mean with my C+E (Not sure why I got that course - think people were panicking that Snatch and Jackal were C rated) I could be pulling £32k plus I'm guessing, overtime for driving a wagon?

I just couldn't imagine myself managing before I umped out the cab and lamped someone in rush hour commuter jam hell. :D

I got my 7.5 tonnes licence years ago when I did my driving test with the TA.

Why do I need a CPC for a vehicle that can be driven on a standard car licence with no other test or training needed. My old digicard is gathering dust, I won't pay stupid money for someone to give me a tick in a box stating I know what I'm doing.

Not bothering with mine. Really glad as it's just another money spinner for training companies. Hopefully between this and Brexit wagon drivers will be able to make a decent living on 40 hours a week.

mrboo

War Hero
My CPC runs out next year after a break in driving at the last round of nonsense . But I was allowed to do a one day one off get some drivers back driving training bollocks type thing . What a load of shit 70,000 drivers short losing 50 drivers a day and the average age of a driver 57. What a perfect way to kill an industry .

Driver CPC after Brexit
You will still need Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) to drive professionally in the UK after Brexit – including if there’s a no-deal Brexit. You must still complete your Driver CPC periodic training by your deadline.
The UK will still recognise Driver CPC qualifications from EU countries after Brexit.
The EU will not recognise UK Driver CPC qualifications if there’s a no-deal Brexit for:
  • UK drivers working for UK companies from 1 January 2020
  • UK drivers working for EU companies from 31 October 2019
If you work for an EU company or want to work for one
Consider exchanging your UK Driver CPC qualification for an EU Driver CPC qualification before Brexit. This will make sure you can still work for EU and UK companies if there’s a no-deal Brexit.
You need to exchange it before 31 October 2019.

This will fcuk things up even more!

Driver CPC after Brexit
You will still need Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) to drive professionally in the UK after Brexit – including if there’s a no-deal Brexit. You must still complete your Driver CPC periodic training by your deadline.
The UK will still recognise Driver CPC qualifications from EU countries after Brexit.
The EU will not recognise UK Driver CPC qualifications if there’s a no-deal Brexit for:
  • UK drivers working for UK companies from 1 January 2020
  • UK drivers working for EU companies from 31 October 2019
If you work for an EU company or want to work for one
Consider exchanging your UK Driver CPC qualification for an EU Driver CPC qualification before Brexit. This will make sure you can still work for EU and UK companies if there’s a no-deal Brexit.
You need to exchange it before 31 October 2019.

This will fcuk things up even more!

Got the same through this morning.

Seems a bit unfair to me, if we were to impose the same on Irish drivers the Irish economy would be in the gutter within a week.
No odds to me, we only operate in the UK and there is a potential plus point, a lot of UK continental trampers are going to be looking for work which will probably solve the driver shortage.

Luckily the only HGV driving I do on a casual basis is all UK these days & mostly at night truncking.
Gone have the days of helping cyclists in London getting Darwin Awards under my back wheels!

I got my 7.5 tonnes licence years ago when I did my driving test with the TA.

Why do I need a CPC for a vehicle that can be driven on a standard car licence with no other test or training needed. My old digicard is gathering dust, I won't pay stupid money for someone to give me a tick in a box stating I know what I'm doing.
If you drive for Hire or Reward you need CPC for all vehicles over 3.5 tons failure results in points or revoke of licence, this includes those who had a car licence before 1997 who have "grandfather" rights to drive up to 7.5 tons.

You also need a valid HGV/LGV medical, Digi Tacho Card and need to carry you're Driver CPC Card whilst driving.

All this has resulted in many drivers giving up after 45, the age of first medical since training.

You however do not need Driver CPC if driving certain vehicles including most Military vehicles.

Latest Threads