Driver career?

Discussion in 'RLC' started by recruit, Jan 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After reading the other threads on this site im slightly worried as to the replies i may get but i spose honesty is the only way you get the truth right? So here goes!

Im female, 19 years old, studying for a Nat.Diploma in uniformed publc services and really want to go into the Army for a short service (4 yrs) I quite like the look of driver from the Army website but I know this description will have been well fabricated - e.g other opportunities including ambulance driver and PTI, how likely is it that I will get these opportunities??

So any thoughts/advice?
    Cheers

2. Plain and simple if you like driving and maintaining big trucks - be a driver. It does exactly what it says on the tin. yes being an RLC Driver you could get to drive ambulances but maybe not for your first job and yes you could be a driver and a PTI if you are fit enough and pass the course. You may get lots of other advice saying do this trade or that because they also drive big trucks but you may not want to be a supplier or a Royal Artillery Driver/Gunner or what ever else is suggested. This advice is impartial as I am in the RLC but not a driver. what ever you choose - good luck. Oh and by the way if you are pretty please join my Corps if you aren't enjoy the Gunners!

3. If you are pretty then you will be sidelined to some 1star driving job.....so we wont get to see you anyway!!! But i hasten to add the driving big trucks excitement soon wears off when your sat in a DROPS on the M4 at 3 in the morning at 40mph. Better still join the PetOp trade, you get your licences including big truck type, you will get to drive them just like the Driver trade and we may be small but as Churchill said "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few".

4. And women are in short supply in the Pet trade

5. Dont be a pet op you will stink of diesel all the time no matter how much perfume you put on in the morning. Best job I had was as a fuel tanker driver with a fuel Sqn. You are given more responsibility and the job is more interesting than being a bog standard dvr. You will get a tanker licence and Hazmatas well as being a tanker operator. If youre not thick the courses will give you no problems.

6. But the tanker licence cannot be used in civvy street and you will still smell of fuel!!! As for civvy tanker drivers getting loads of money...those days are long gone, i know as i have a ESSO driver in my office now!
    Best driver job??...................helicopter driver....go for it!!!!!

7. DRIVER Why join the army to do a job my Gran can do

8. Thanks for all the advice! I have been looking at the Royal Engineers, as I can be a drvier though them, as well as be a combat engineer! Gives me the opportunity for a load more civvy quals at the same time!

9. Thanks for all the advice! I have been looking at the Royal Engineers, as I can be a drvier though them, as well as be a combat engineer! Gives me the opportunity for a load more civvy quals at the same time!

10. Go monkey. We get all the cute chicks-its the law