Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I really can't believe this, I've always been a careful driver, but some weeks back I received a NIP, (notice of intended prosecution) apparently i'd overtaken a double parked vehicle without due care and attention, The police had received a. video taken by the 'double parked' van that I overtook, and are using it. for the evidence.
The alleged offence: - I overtook a van who had stopped In the middle of the road, I couldn't work out why he'd. stopped. until I began overtaking him, he had stopped, to allow a wagon on the other side of the road to pass another parked car, now there was loads of space and I mean loads, enough space to get at. least 3 warrior tanks through safely ! there were no other moving vehicles, no pedestrians, no low flying giraffes, nothing.... as I passed the van he gave me the v sign, after a prompt return to his sweet gesture I went on my way...
Anyway our friends in the force have invited me to attend a driver alertness course, with an entry fee of £165, or face the firing squad ! now as you probably know, hiring a lawyer to defend you in court isn't cheap..and if I defend myself and lose i'd probably end up with a massive fine and 3-6 points.... they've really got me by the nutz....so it seems i've no alternative but to take up this generous invite to the policeman's secret ball..... I'm not sure what to expect at the course either...

Last edited:

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've just finished three days driver training - it was great and has convinced me that everyone (yes everyone) should have mandatory update training every 10 years or so. We can, after all, in theory, drive for 53 years without any further training... And things do change, a lot - I learned so much.
Enjoy the experience and I know the money bit sucks like a bastard, but enjoy.

Scorcher68

Old-Salt
I went on an afternoon one for speeding and quite enjoyed it . My offence was driving at 35 mph in a 30 mph zone while getting a paper and petrol on a Sunday morning .I sat between two guys one who did 23 mph rather than 20 on Tower Bridge and a committee member from Esher Rugby Club who was doing well over 100 near Guildford.

Last edited:
OP

I doubt you would get six points fo something Plod thought warranted a DAC.

You would seem to have a good defence but can you prove any of it. It might no be worth the candle.

Plod love them as they get half the cash. If you pay a fine it goes to the Exchequer but DAC fees are split between Plod and provider (AA in my case).

I did one about two years ago (38 In a 30 zone. My defence was that they had extended the 30 zone several hundred yards into the 40 zone the week before. I was used to doing 40 on CC and then using the bridge ramp to slow me down to 30. The AA woman sympathised but said that if that was my defence they could do me for driving without due care and attention).

The people on the course were mostly mongs, bellends and knobbers (excluding me, obviously). Everyone had a rubbish excuse not realising there aren't actually any excuses. Bird next to me thought it was grossly unfair that she got done for 34 in a 30 zone.

None of them could grasp the concept that they had actually broken the law and, TBH, were getting off pretty lightly.

The other thing that none of them could grasp were stopping distances. They seemed to have difficulty in working out why a ten mph increase in speed could disproportionately increase the stopping distance.

I would fight that to the bitter end, pretty certain it would be kicked into touch if you have the audacity to contest it. The courts bank on a lot of people just accepting it.

Do you not have legal cover on your policy? I'd fight it. Then invest on a cheap but reliable dash cam.

there's always a good piss-up at the end

Or even better get a taxi there and back, and take a 4 pack with you to while away the time during the lecturing

I really can't believe this, I've always been a careful driver, but some weeks back I received a NIP, ....

Anyway our friends in the force have invited me to attend a driver alertness course, with an entry fee of £165.........
i'd probably end up with a massive fine and 3-6 points....

On the driver awareness course - shop around
You should have the option of choosing a venue, and prices can vary. I think prices start at around £85, most are around £100. Mine cost £93.50 (including optional 'rearrangement' fee in case I have to change the date)

Consider whether you genuinely feel that you can justify the overtaking what you felt was a parked vehicle. Was it already stopped before you got there, were you looking ahead at the road (due care and attention) or did it stop in front of you and you decided to overtake to discover an oncoming vehicle?
How wide was the road? Big enough for parked vehicles on both sides, the two lanes and space in the middle for you to pass
The other driver thought badly enough about your driving to stick his fingers at you, and to pass the footage to the police
you concentrated enough on him to see the fingers and respond. Maybe he wouldn't have also sent the footage if you didn't respond

Balance your options - if you think you are justified enough to back up your overtaking, and find out what the fine / points you would get are worth the risk
(The letter should say you have the option of going to court for x points & x fine or the course at x fee)
Generally the fine amount is probably similar to the course fee, so your gamble would be the points and how that affects your licence and any points you have

In my case - I was speeding, I got caught. Fair cop
I'm going to have a few hours doing a course and I've saved myself points

Momba Womba

On ROPS
On ROPs
I really can't believe this, I've always been a careful driver, but some weeks back I received a NIP, (notice of intended prosecution) apparently i'd overtaken a double parked vehicle without due care and attention, The police had received a. video taken by the 'double parked' van that I overtook, and are using it. for the evidence.
The alleged offence: - I overtook a van who had stopped In the middle of the road, I couldn't work out why he'd. stopped. until I began overtaking him, he had stopped, to allow a wagon on the other side of the road to pass another parked car, now there was loads of space and I mean loads, enough space to get at. least 3 warrior tanks through safely ! there were no other moving vehicles, no pedestrians, no low flying giraffes, nothing.... as I passed the van he gave me the v sign, after a prompt return to his sweet gesture I went on my way...
Anyway our friends in the force have invited me to attend a driver alertness course, with an entry fee of £165, or face the firing squad ! now as you probably know, hiring a lawyer to defend you in court isn't cheap..and if I defend myself and lose i'd probably end up with a massive fine and 3-6 points.... they've really got me by the nutz....so it seems i've no alternative but to take up this generous invite to the policeman's secret ball..... I'm not sure what to expect at the course either...

Your idea of lots of room and the van driver's are poles apart.

He didn't feel that there was room for him and the truck, but you felt that there was room for all three of you.

That it?

... and a committee member from Esher Rugby Club who was doing well over 100 near Guildford.

He must have been undergoing the course whilst disqualified from driving, then.

He would never have been offered the option of a speed / driving awareness course. His licence, most likely, would be gone. He might have been required to take a course after his licence was restored, but as far as I am aware, these are a different format from the low-level courses.

Last edited:

He would never have been offered the option of a speed / driving awareness course. His licence, most likely, would be gone. He might have been required to take a course after his licence was restored, but as far as I am aware, these are a different format from the low-level courses.

If i remember what my offer letter for a course said. It worked out that if you were doing 34 (30mph zone) and below, you're unlikely to get a NIP. 35-42 (30mph zone), you'd be offered the points, course or take your chances in court. Although from what i hear, different forces have discrection as to whether to offer a course or not.

I got pulled by a very pleasant traffic cop on the M3 near Basingstoke. Initials MP.

I was taking the mickey on a bank holiday taking the wife and kids to the seaside. Got pulled over, interview without T&B in the back of a Volvo.

Blustered away with the usual nonsense: "I was only keeping up with the traffic" etc, all delivered in a whiny victim voice.

He said "Shall we say it was 96mph". Then spiel on points v court. Offered me three points and £30 fine to which I replied "that sounds perfectly reasonable officer".

Ironically my mate was clocked at 62 in the 50 zone on the A322 south of Bracknell. For some reason his fine was related to his salary and he got done for £350 and six points. Double irony is that that stretch of road is now a 70 zone.

I went on an afternoon one for speeding and quite enjoyed it . My offence was driving at 35 mph in a 30 mph zone while getting a paper and petrol on a Sunday morning .I sat between two guys one who did 23 mph rather than 20 on Tower Bridge and a committee member from Esher Rugby Club who was doing well over 100 near Guildford.

Same here 35 in a 30, I had only put my UK plates on 15 minutes before, course was bone though.
Had a class 3 VM working with me that had been done for drink driving (I have no idea how he kept him job).
A one year ban reduced to 6 months if he took a course. Leave booked, flights paid foretc ....a few beers with his mate back in the UK the night before.....RTUd straight away

Warrior is an Infantry Fighting Vehicle. Not a tank.
You'll never be a journalist or a reporter with an attitude like that.

Your idea of lots of room and the van driver's are poles apart.

He didn't feel that there was room for him and the truck, but you felt that there was room for all three of you.

That it?
Why bring the Poles into it? Unless the van driver was one

Mattb

LE
I went on one once (for speeding in a 60) and it had just two results:
1) It turns out I can actually go legally faster than I thought (the speed limit for a van on a motorway is 70, not 60)
2) It reinforced my view that no one else has any idea how to drive. The amount of times the instructor asked simple questions to a room (mostly) full of completely blank faces was quite worrying.

Latest Threads