Drive at 225 KPH in France and get 5 years in Jail

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by fantassin, Sep 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A 26 y.o French car salesman who had already lost his driving license for previous driving offenses has been sentenced to 5 years in jail by the Macon Tribunal.

He was arrested last Sunday after having first been recorded doing 156 kph on a Motorway, then having pretended to heed by the Gendarmes order to follow them before speeding away in the dense end-of-summer season traffic reaching a top speed of 225 kph. He was finally arrested and was given an "immediate" conviction.

The 5 year conviction is not a suspended sentence.

Sans permis et à 225km/h, il avait refusé de s'arrêter : 5 ans ferme - Actu France en continu - TF1 News

I reckon such sentences cannot apply to foreigners; nevertheless, a number of drivers have already seen their cars seized and auctionned by the French Gvt such as last year's Cannonball....

British Cannonball Run drivers arrested for speeding during rally in France - Telegraph
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Got pulled doing a 188kph last month between Strasbourg and Wissembourg on an empty motorway - pretended I could not speak French (German plated car), gave a UK license - Euro 90 on the spot fine ;-)

I get blitzed 2-3 times a month in France, nothing happens.
  3. Wow 135mph, I didn't know you could go that fast without disintegrating.

What a fantastic non story, English Chavs drive faster on backroads in Kent while pissed up.
  4. bloke sounds like a twat as for the moron's of the gumball rally they deserve all they get.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

5 years in clink for speeding is the norm in UK too is it?
  6. Whilst my good friend “fantassin” is somewhat correct in those drivers with non-French licences seem to “get away” without severe penalties. This will come to an end very soon with the harmonization of EU road traffic laws. Already our Gendarmerie have access to the driver and vehicle databases in the UK, Belgium, Spain and Italy, thus offences committed here will, in the near future, be prosecuted in those countries once the harmonization is complete – early 2012. At present our gendarmes can and will confiscate non-French vehicles if they feel the actions of the driver are a danger to other road users. NOTE: VOSA/DVLA in the UK will now enforce a driving ban issued by our courts.

Similarly my good friend “Alsacian” was very fortunate that they were driving a German registered car on a UK licence. Something else that is being tightened, although less so in border areas, however legislation is being considered that will allow cross-border pursuits in the case of grave traffic offences. Similarly Autoroutes here are being upgraded to the point whereby speeding fines will automatically be added to péage charges – the ticket showing the entry and exit time on any given autoroute.

Add to which a forthcoming change to our law will require that anyone resident in our country MUST exchange their foreign licence within 90 days of residency unlike at present one calendar year.

Everyone should note that our gendarmes are taking reckless behaviour on our roads very seriously – it being the biggest single cause of fatalities. So that you all know the situation: Anything over 40km/h above the speed limit of any given road is an automatic BAN, with the option of confiscating the vehicle or passengers are the owner. Likewise any vehicle found to be have a radar detector/jammer will have it removed, regardless of the damage caused, and the driver fined 500 Euros – such units are ILLEGAL here.
  7. Enlighten us: exactly how many Gumball drivers do you know in order to make that statement?

BTW: are you a butcher? Your imaginative use of the apostrophe suggests so.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

My friendly Gendarme thinks it will take a bit longer ;-) I have been hearing about it personally for 5 years now, but it will come at some point.
    If you are doing something daft then you can expect to get a hard time - justifiably so, but going quick in safe conditions is not the same and is treated differently in my experience - especially when a few kms further on I can hit the limiter at 250kph legally.
  9. It's "l'égalité républicaine".

Since you need to be a filthy rich person to go at that kind of speed then everybody will be made to crawl at 130 in a Dacia Logan.....that's French Egalité for you.
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I paid 23k for my Audi - doing 35-40k kms a year I buy second hand as transport is just a money hole.
    I will be swapping my old 4x4 onto a French plate later this year when I feel psychologically ready to face the French bureaucratic process... ;-) Crossply tires and age will ensure 130, and I can pretend to be a poor Vogesien ;-)
  11. Get a Dacia Duster then, the ultimate Franco-Romanian dream Machine.....yuck !

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'd rather eat andouillette than be seen in Dacia .......not sure which is the most vomit inducing :)
  13. I like it. It would be nice if we could have toll road motorways, it could lower our road tax slightly. Checking of car VRNs would remove doppelgangers, non insured/moted drivers and what not. Basically a little filter removing the illegal drivers.

I like the German system of road punishments, ie the banning of drivers for short times rather than fines. Or maybe the Finnish systsem where your annual wage is taken in to account when working out the fine amount.

14. What's wrong with Andouillette ? don't tell me you never tried the 240 grams "extended" version from Courte Paille ????

Next thing you'll be telling me you like Marmite.....

Attached Files:

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The rest of the developed world puts that bit in the bin mate....