Drinking to much

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 1isEnough, Dec 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Eeeerrrr I have this friend who is drinking to much. He is not an alky, doesn't need a drink in the morning, and if he hasn't got any it doesn't bother him. Dry exercises arn't an issue.

The trouble is when he does have some, he can't stop at one. Once it's run out no problem. But he is drinking way over the odds.

Any constructive advice you can give him to help him reduce his intake.

This isn't the NAAFI so useful advice only please.

Thanks

1IE

2. Well he has to work on his self control, might be difficult but it can be overcome. The mind is a powerful thing.

3. Heroin , that should get him off it .

4. Oi WhizzyShitLips !

When you're old enough to drink alcohol legally, you might be able to offer some real advice. :x

The mind is a wonderful thing ! :roll: :?

5. 1isEnough.

Have you spoken to your mate about it ? He may not realise.

1. Go on the lash by all means but try pacing, ie. make drinks last longer
    2. Leave for the pubs/clubs later in the evening, leaving less time for boozing.
    3. Go somewhere to eat first
    4. Alternate an alcoholic beverage with a non alcoholic beverage
    5. Set a ceiling of maximum units/jars/glasses not to be excelled
    6. Sort him out a taxi before it's too late
    7. All of the above
    8. Nominate him as duty driver.
    9. Seek expert advice - not Arrsers.

6. I am and again I am. :roll:

7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Well that was fcuking useful! He did ask for useful advice.

CNUT!!!

8. Well done WhizzyShitLips !

9. If it really is a case of being tempted too easily, rather than reliance, cut off the supply of money.

If he goes out of an evening with just £20 in his pocket (adjust according to travel costs, food requirements, etc) and no credit or debit cards (preventing him obtaining more - friends need to be in on this, too), he will only be able to drink up to his financial limit.

If this doesn't work, it's probably not temptation that's the problem.

10. Strangely enough, I had an, errrrr, friend who had exactly the same problem as your, errrrr, friend.

Most important thing I did, errr I mean he did was to accept that he had a problem. Unfortunately, my friend didn't catch the problem as quickly as your friend did and it was starting to affect his work. Turning up at noon still pi$$ed as a fart from the night before was not a career enhancer. But he did manage to nip things in the bud before full blown alcoholism set in.

Only thing I would add to arfah's excellent advice would be to try a week or two completely off the booze and away from social boozing. Perhaps a holiday somewhere you can't drink. More than anything, it'll show your friend that he can keep on the wagon for an extended period. Also, if things don't improve quickly, don't hesitate to see your doctor. The doc will have plenty of advice to help - not necessarily involving AA meetings.

11. squeekingsapper

squeekingsapper LE Reviewer

I too have a friend with a similar predicament, and he tends not to keep booze in the house, unless he has friends coming over.

I used to work with a guy who ended up getting caught drinking on the job and ended up getting the sack as it was also revealed that he was stealing to feed the habit. I felt really bad as although not overly close to him, I had seen some of the signs and only took it as far as a quiet chat rather than trying to get him any help.

If you're friend is also getting concerned, than tell him straight that it's the first step to admit there's a problem and see the doc for help. just remember that NHS is there to help niggles like this turning into problems.

12. He has to want to change his habit himself before anything can be achieved. Unfortunately, trying to convince him is the hardest part. If you keep mentioning it to him, he will probably think you are just going on at him and get all defensive.

Try telling him of the advantages of not drinking so much. He'll live longer would be the main one.

He may say he will stop if he gets any health issues ... but once the liver has been affected, it cannot be rectified without major surgery.

My ex used to drink too much and I went to this this support group called ANON which is for friends and family of people who drink. I didn't get anything out of it, but maybe they can give you some good tips.

13. Simple - Stop drinking until you can do so like a responsible adult human being with self discipline. Or limit your access. Only take cash out with you, no card.

Only have 2 cans in the fridge at any one time etc.

Basics

14. Alcohol over use and indulgence, to put it nicely, is perhaps common and whether it's thought an illness, a habit, or a disease is perhaps irrelevant.

It's also perhaps unnecessary to rub salt into people's wounds. There
    might be some of us who enjoy a drink and there are certainly some who have a serious problem when it starts to affect their health, their appearance, and their lives. Not to condemn, but maybe a fact of life.

It might be the case that it's too easily available, too cheap and on view everywhere we look. If tobacco is to be removed from displays and put under the counter, why not alcohol too? Would it not be far better to support, than to encourage abuse for profit?

15. Pubs already do this with their draught beer. ;)

It would cost a fortune for off licences and supermarkets to buy massive counters to stock the booze underneath, not to mention the increased staffing costs. Think again.