Drinking tea

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by REMEbrat, Mar 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is it that gives tea it's diuretic property? Is it the caffeine or some other part of the tea leaf?

2. It doesnt have a diuretic quality unless you drink 5 - 6 cups a day. And that, my spanner weilding taffy friend, is the power of google. Ah thanking you.

3. Caffeine is a stimulant. Stimulants make you pee by way of increased metabolism, blood pressure and general CNS function, including diuretic output.

4. Mind you, 5-6 cups of water will make you want to pee also!

T C

5. Im in the same cycle with other people's tea.

6. Nothing wrong with that, it's proper Army Tea. At least that's the way my Mother described it when she had a cup years ago.

7. Or curry.

I am drinking tea now, at home, Tesco finest breakfast variety. Nice..

8. Just got through 2 half pints of PG tips.

9. So has the cookery thread turned into the new naafi?

10. OK, I drink decaffinated and still p1ss buckets.

11. Decaff has up to 20-25% of the caffeine of normal coffee/tea. But if you drink any fluid in any volume, you will probably p!ss it out. Unless there's something wrong with you :?

12. Tea does not count towards your fluid intake because it is a diuretic
    No.

Despite misleading advice that continues to be handed out, such as on certain British airlines where tea is mentioned as a drink to avoid for its diuretic properties that will “cause the body to lose even more water than normal,” tea is in fact perfectly fine to drink in an environment where dehydration is of concern. As Astill points out, this information is based on the supposition that you will lose more fluid than you take in, whereas in fact diuresis occurs only after a caffeine dose of over 250mg. A cup of tea contains somewhere around 50mg, therefore drinking five cups of black tea “can make a significant contribution to the target intake of 35ml of fluid/kg of bodyweight,” according to Astill.

Source Tea and Coffee .net

13. Just my age

14. Could also have to do with tannins in black tea.

IG

15. Sparkling fluids can have a shorter residence time in the gut - is certainly the case for alcoholic drinks. Not sure it would be appreciable though for a can of sparkling water. Water is water! Although sparkling water is more acidic [carbonic acid] and if you only drink it you'd be more likely to get tummy ache than dehydrated.