Drinking Limits

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by naguere, Oct 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am now pestered by various ,(Wife/GF/sons/. on how much is too much.

It seems that you should not drink more than a bottle of wine a week.

I am lost for words !

Hang on, I need to open another bottle.

What is your opinion?

2. Easily sorted

You just have to choose the right bottle of wine

[​IMG]

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

My opinion is, following 40+ years of imbibing alkyfrol I am no longer allowed to partake of the amber nectar.

As for 1 bottle of wine per week - well that depends very much on the size of the bottle and type of wine!! :)

Bugger - Beaten to it - well done Steven!

4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

The limits are about to be relaxed by the medical profession.

They are little more than a guess.

You have a wife and a girlfriend? How very modern.

Loads of bumph in here:

UK Alcohol Reports

• Like Like x 2
  5. The units per day were just made up as were the 5 portions of fruit/veg. A panel of experts used the back of a fag packet so as far as i'm concerned they can ram it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Generally, there is no such thing as "too much" at the time of drinking.

In my past I have woken up next to some right horrors, ginger or otherwise, which would suggest that I had consumed "too much"

I've yet to find exactly what the quantity of booze is however. It would appear that "too much" can only be gauged in the future, by your actions "in the past" so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. As long as you don't NEED a drink before you can get on with anything you're probably OK. Of course there's the matter of calories to be considered too.

From my perspective I reckon if you keep it to after work on weekdays and after lunch on weekends and can still get up and function in the morning you're probably not really overdoing it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. No you read it wrong mate, its a bottle a day, the size of the bottle is down to your desires for the evening.

9. I think the guidelines as issued by my old Sqn Ldr in the good old days of BAOR: Red in the morning Blue in the afternoon and white (with a good yellow tinge) in the evening worked fine.

10. Drink whaterver you can comfortably function on, whether that be 1 glass of merlot or 19 cans of Stella.

Obviously if you get too inebriated to walk then you will have to drive.

For more advice on the joys of alcohol, PM Blue_Sophist.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I take it that the experts were not health professionals, as the surely would not have had a fag packet on which to write their guess.

12. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

In my day, it was the medical students that threw the rowdiest parties.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Will a bottle of wine keep for a week once opened, I ask this as I've never tried letting it go that long.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I used to love drinking with the anaesthetists - the patients didn't remember they reeked of booze. Quick whiff of the O2 and jobs a good 'un