Drinking law overseas

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by drillpig69, Jun 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hope i'm posting in the right spot here.
    Let me first clear it up, I am an Air Cadet but I am currently in joining process to go in the Army.
    I will be travelling to Gibraltar soon (with Cadets). I have been in the past a few times but the last time I went I got b*llokced for drinking, and procuring alcohol and tobacco products 'underage'. I was 16 at the time which under Gib law is fine, also, as far as I am aware, I am to an extent exempt from Military law? imposed by MP's, but was told I was breaking Military law and the Commandant in charge of us all would get a jolly good telling off and possibly a court marshalling for letting us under age louts drink. But the thing I don't understand is I wasn't in the UK so how does that legislation apply to Gibraltar unless I am infact of course Governed by Military Law, which is mind boggling as no Cadets are actually in the Military.

Can someone make sense of it all for me PLEASE!

I basically want to know if I would be allowed to go out and buy some drink with the knowledge that if anything was said to me I'd be able to tell the peckers otherwise.

2. Regardless of Gib law, military law or any other law, if your senior officer tells you not to drink alcohol, don't drink alcohol.

3. Understandably, but we were never briefed anything of the sort

4. I'm fairly certain it is in the red book that cadets can't drink alcohol or smoke. You were not breaking the law but you were breaking the rules governing cadet behaviour.

5. Right, cheers, that's cleared things up an awful lot!

6. Maybe, but as you say, you have been now.

7. An 'awful lot'? Are you a character from an Enid Blyton book, or is this a wind up?

If it isn't a wind up then the bottom line is this: you're a child, and will remain one until you're 18 when all the fantastic privileges of adulthood will be bestowed upon you, together with a responsibility or two. Until then (and even then) I'd recommend you don't start trying to 'tell the peckers otherwise'. As a cadet you're likely to be sent home from one of the more entertaining places you're likely to get to. Do it as an adult and the outcome is likely to be less good for you.

If you can't go a few days without alcohol during a cadet camp you should probably also reflect on whether your career choice is such a good one.

8. Gib Law be damned, you are in the ATC and because of that UK law stands even if you are in Gib.

There is nothing in the Red Book (JSP 535) or its eqivalent 'the Z card' (still JSP 535) for SCC and ATC about drinking or smoking. These activities are covered in other documents, and in your unit's (or higher formations) SOPs and rules.

I've got a feeling your ATC rules will state something along the lines of Cadets are not to drink or smoke. And as you appear to know your status within military law (and in reflection of JSP 535) it is worth stating that the ATC will take the view Cadets are Cadets, even if over 18. So no drinky poos for you this time either fella.

Enjoy life in the army drillpig, I've got a feeling it could be 'exciting' for you.

9. I'm not some sort of alcoholic maniac, I like to have a pint and relax, that was what I did and I got told off for it, I learnt from that lesson but the Staff also learnt that they need to brief on rules and regs before they let the Cadets loose. I was more intent that by buying the drink I would take it back to the UK as a gift, this as I have just found out is perfectly alright.
    Despite that, I thank you, Yoda, for your words of wisdom in that main paragraph.

10. My early sex life would have been shit if cadets couldn't drink.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I have that feeling too about if I manage to get in. . . "Cadets are Cadets, even if over 18" and mentioning this there were a few incidents concerning over 18 cadets while we were there where they were having a jolly with Staff...

12. Bloody hell we all smoked and drank when I was in Cadets back in the late 60's, early 70's. Got laid a bit too on summer camp, condoms were to be had at the guardhouse on the way out.

I do notice that the Saltpetre that was supposedly in the mashed potatoes is starting to take effect once in awhile now...