drinking for over 21s

bring the drinking age up to 21 is unbelievable. its a complete farse alowing an 18 year old to go on tour and fight in a foreign land, yet not celebrate coming back with a beer. im not a big drinker but i cant believe that i wont be able to go to the mess with mates and have a drink. Apparently it may be done in order to stop violence on the streets, but if they kick us out the pubs, where the hell will we go? any ideas?

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
Come to where I live and see all the little shits who run around breaking windows and attacking people on a Sat night at 11.30 because they can't use alcohol without turning into feral animals.

SW19 btw....

I went to High School in America. By the time they were 18, most of my friends had given up smoking dope, and gone on to either acid or....beer.

If beer is as illegal as dope or crack, which do you think stupid kids are going to go for? This is a really stupid idea, from a government which is completely incapable of thinking any idea through beyond the second headline.

All it would is mean that another 3 yrs of youths who cant get into pubs would be hanging around street corners wrecking peoples lives at least when in pubs you know where they are.

Dunno where this one came from, but it's typical spin, like lowering the drink-driving limit. It only hurts the ones who obey the existing law, alcoholic idiots will just ignore it anyway, but it makes good press. :x

remf_crow said:
bring the drinking age up to 21 is unbelievable. its a complete farse alowing an 18 year old to go on tour and fight in a foreign land, yet not celebrate coming back with a beer. im not a big drinker but i cant believe that i wont be able to go to the mess with mates and have a drink. Apparently it may be done in order to stop violence on the streets, but if they kick us out the pubs, where the hell will we go? any ideas?
It'll never happen, it's the surist way to get all those 18-20 year olds voting, against you.

It's not the lower age, it's where the arrseholes drink.
Make it illegal to drink anywhere other than on licensed premises or at home.

It is already an offence to but or ATTEMPT TO BUY alcoholic drinks for under age persons, so this needs enforcing ROBUSTLY AND WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

All the laws to remedy this are in place, it merely needs a hands (Boots & batons) on approach to enforce them.

still21inmymind said:
Make it illegal to drink anywhere other than on licensed premises or at home.
Good grief, try enforcing that when vodka can be easily disguised by fruit juice. Thinking back to the ratan video that was on here a while back, suspect that not many would be drunk and disorderly if that was the punishment.

Schaden said:
Come to where I live and see all the little shits who run around breaking windows and attacking people on a Sat night at 11.30 because they can't use alcohol without turning into feral animals.

so what about the 40 yr old p**s heads that are on the dole and spend all day in a pub? are you trying to say that at 21 you turn sensible, can hold your drink and would never be involved in any violence of any sort. b**l s**t!!!!

Usual crap from police chiefs/politicians who want to sound tough without actually doing anything, because it is easier - and gets better headlines - to pass laws and give police more powers than it is to actually use the massive powers they already have to any decent effect.

Passing laws does not stop crime; enforcing them might.

And since when did any of these people respect the existing laws (and how many people on here strictly abided by them too, out of interest?)

remf_crow said:
Schaden said:

so what about the 40 yr old p**s heads that are on the dole and spend all day in a pub? are you trying to say that at 21 you turn sensible, can hold your drink and would never be involved in any violence of any sort. b**l s**t!!!!
Statistically, young men do tend to grow out of crime by the time they're 25, although if you're a permanent arrsehole you might stay that way for ever... But the best place for 16-18 year olds to do their drinking is in a well run pub with a sensible landlord and an adult clientele to keep them in line.

And as far as I'm aware, it's a criminal offence to serve alcohol to a drunk person. If that law was enforced properly most of the problems at closing time would disappear.

We have had suggestions to both increase the age for drinking alcohol and measures to increase the price. Can the proponents of these ideas come up with any real justification for either idea, we charge more than most for alcohol in this country yet we have more alcohol related problems than contries where the price is a fraction of ours, equally when at least some of the problem is already caused by underage drinking how will raising the age change that and stop underage drinking. Where I live it is illegal to drink in a public place but the law is poorly enforced so it you still get gangs of underage drinkers despite the law. The real problem is the absolute lack of enforcement of the laws we already have rather than the need for any new ones.

im 18 and clearly dont sit around in car parks, ill go to a pub! i dont get knicked all the time like some others! what im trying to say is that if this does come in, the shits that do fcuk around all the time will not change, but us who do toe the line will get jacked on

B

benjaminw1

remf_crow said:
im 18 and clearly dont sit around in car parks, ill go to a pub! i dont get knicked all the time like some others! what im trying to say is that if this does come in, the shits that do fcuk around all the time will not change, but us who do toe the line will get jacked on
Give you time for a bit of nightschool then....

Remedial English perhaps.... :wink:

I think the answer to the problem is restricting the sale of alcohol through off licences. Maybe something along the lines of having to be registred to buty it, I know that sounds extreme but I think it would go some way to alleviating the problem. If 18 year olds are drinking in a pub, it is in the confines of a relatively controlled environment, the problems start when kids are drinking on street corners, in parks etc and by raising the drinking age this will simply increase.

It is just a headline grabber much the same as plenty of other drivel that is spouted by both all the parties in Parliment and by the media. It is an easy story that takes little or no research to back it up.
The limit works badly enough now as it is, with kids easily able to get hold of alcohol at a rediculously young age, how is uping the age limit going to stop this?
Besides it is a near unpolicable prospect anyway...unless we are going to allow more PCSO kids to be recruited to police it. I'm sure that would work PMSL!!!!

Aloysius said:
Statistically, young men do tend to grow out of crime by the time they're 25, although if you're a permanent arrsehole you might stay that way for ever... But the best place for 16-18 year olds to do their drinking is in a well run pub with a sensible landlord and an adult clientele to keep them in line.

And as far as I'm aware, it's a criminal offence to serve alcohol to a drunk person. If that law was enforced properly most of the problems at closing time would disappear.
Al, I disagree on the first, 18 is the legal age.
As to the second you are of course correct, but obviously that cuts no ice with the drunken sot trying to buy more booze from a lone and harrassed barperson.

I made the GROSS mistake of working in a local pub here, and picked up more scars, violence and attacks than during my 18 years in the army. This was over a three month employment.

Most of the problems stemmed from extended families of wasters, three generations out on the lash from 1700 Friday until 2230 Sunday (good old pre 24 hour opening days). Was attacked once by two brothers who objected to the fact that the police had ejected them 3 times in the previous few hours, and were egged on by mummy, daddy, uncles, siblings etc.

I became so adroit at fielding thrown glasses, barstools etc that I became known as the goalkeeper. Although the only pub for miles it is so full of sh1te, scum and vermin that I have never set foot in the place since I left eight years ago.

Scum are scum and will never change, no matter what age.

Schaden said:

SW19 btw....
Try CR4, neighbour :wink:

In the town where I live, there has been a massive influx of students over the past few years due to reasons discussed in the ongoing "send everyone to uni" debate.

In my experience, they have been a major factor in the growing levels of violence and disorder. They are not the intellectual type which would have been found in university a few years ago, and many of them are at university just for the booze. At 18 years old, and having never left home before, they can't handle drink and don't know when to keep their mouths shut.

The only club I visit requires you to be 21+ to get in. The atmosphere in there is a lot better and I've never seen a fight in there.

However, I don't believe that raising the drinking age to 21 would achieve anything. It would simply force drinking underground, and everyone would take that extra couple of years to grow up and start taking responsibility for themselves.

And besides, what fun would my weekend be without dizzy p*ssed teenagers? :twisted: