Drink Spiking Common Now ?

Ursus Major

Old-Salt
My suspicion is that the most common form of drink "spiking" is simply a double or triple vodka administered to someone's drink. It might not be a sure ticket to nefarious purposes but it's a lot less traceable and, as we have seen, likely to be dismissed by the police.
Oh I’ve done that, for S&G though not any jiggery pokery reasons.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Having been to many a rural music event, the usual modus operandi of the elderly male predators was to see which young female was intoxicated and isolated. They would then offer more and more drinks before offering to see them home for safety.

No drugs necessary.

4(T)

LE
There is a heck of a difference between alcohol intoxication and the effects of the stuff used to spike drinks, and it should be pretty obvious to medics or any informed observer. Horse tranquillizer or the other substances used tend to knock someone down very quickly, and puts them into something akin to a coma.

Sadly, I'll claim some SME knowledge here, as I've been spiked twice (fortunately without being robbed or raped! Well, er, not that I can remember...).

For your elucidation and amusement, I'll repeat my dit previously mentioned on Arrse:

Both occurrences were in Moscow, and were typical of the sort of robbery attempts that went on there at the time. I should say that I was caught out despite being an uber-cautious veteran expat who has managed to keep skin intact in some very unpleasant situations. At the time I was also the author of a security briefing pack used by several corporations, which warned visitors to Moscow of some of the risks (traffic, fraud, prozzies, spike-robberies, etc) and ways to mitigate them.

The first incident was in what was considered a safe environment - a well-known, tightly run, bar/restaurant/nightclub on Tverskaya, near the Kremlin. The club section was generally filled with spectacular working girls. I did a lot of business entertaining there, and so was very well known to staff and to many of the clientele - expats and regular ladies (ok, its "NF" for those who know Moscow).

I'd only popped in to have dinner with a couple of mates, as i was flying to UK next day. Whilst I waited for them to turn up, I had a G&T at the bar and gently declined the attentions of the, ahem, lady guests. Two sips of G&T - and i woke up 12 hours later in my own apartment, being watched over by one of the restaurant staff. They'd seen me go down, and had got me safely home. I was violently ill, and barely made the UK flight.

It turned out that a couple of "new" girls had joined the usual crowd - unaware of the code of behaviour there - and had tried to pull the usual stunt of spiking a foreigner and getting him into a mafia taxi cab (its all organised crime, of course). The girls and the taxi drivers were dealt with (by a far nastier mafia) and I received a few free dinners by way of apology.

Second time was in a slightly dodgy place, a very popular sports bar frequented by students, expats, prozzies, baby mafia and tourists (what used to be called "Boar House" opposite Kursky railway station, for those who know Moscow). This was a place where I was always on guard anyway - don't get drunk, drink out of a bottle, keep on the good side of the Chechen guys, don't ever get into the taxis that wait outside, etc.

The place was generally ok, as it was mostly owned and run by two Canadians. Most of us had been going there for years without issue. However there came a period when there had been a bit of a "change in management" (i.e. hostile takeover), and the local crims took advantage.

I'd arrived early evening, and was awaiting my friends. I had a bottle of Mr Carlsburg's finest, and I had my thumb over the top. It was my first drink of the evening, and I was quite sober. Two mouthfuls into the bottle, I suddenly felt very tired and drunk. I guessed immediately what had happened, and so went into survival mode.

I ran out of the bar, past the waiting taxi drivers (one of whom would have been the designated driver for the robbers), and continued 200m down the road to get a random gypsy cab (standard Moscow nightlife procedure). Fortunately I lived on the same ring road, and so got quite close to home before I had to bail out - I was near to losing consciousness. Fortunately#2, it was about -20oC, so the cold shock kept me awake a few more seconds as a sprinted to my apartment. I got through the door and collapsed - another 12 hours' coma. I didn't even manage to close my front door; the neighbours probably thought I was drunk.

This had been the classic "inside job" where the bottle had been spiked by the bartender. Another member of the gang - a prozzie - would have steered me out of the door into their cab. They'd have robbed me in person and, if they'd identified my address, would have cleaned out my apartment as well. Ironically, my advice to others had been "don't drink alone, and keep an eye out for unexpected drunkenness in your oppo", and yet these guys had struck even before my crew had arrived.

Yeah - I've been paralytic with alcohol many a time, but having a drink spiked with a drug is an entirely different matter.

How o you think @don't tell him pike gets his victims conquests?
That’s easy

F3C48B23-7C51-47E9-BD92-77AE5BCE44CD.jpeg

At the risk of appearing cynical in my 25 years of policing, a lot of the alleged 'spiking' incidents were probably to excuse the alleged recipient getting into shit state through drink or drugs and engaging in a regrettable course of action, or becoming very unwell. I don't doubt it happens, but perhaps not as commonly as rumour and myth suggest.
There is that too. Many young ladies of my acquaintance, many moons ago, have claimed to have been the victim of spiked drink when they have only misjudged their limits or just tried to make themselves more 'interesting' in conversation which just wholly detracts from the genuinely disgusting times that it does.
The availability of GHB and and other, similar substances yet suggests that it does rather happen an awful lot and far, far too often.

I've had drinks spiked twice. Both times by the same man. There's a noticeable difference between being pissed and the effect of the drug. You may not recognise it at the time though.

Back in Seffrica at the tail end of the '70's (years, not year-olds), at one stage there was a big scare about date-rape drugs. It lasted maybe three weeks tops. Simple - the "ugly dog friend", aka "wingman", aka "sober(ish) mate in the party" watchikng out for the rest of the group.

At that stage it was the Lebanese and the Turks(?) having a go at each other, and "normal" people were collatteral damage.

Lebs and Porras were an ongoing battle. Never really hung around in discos and the like so totally unaffected by their stupidity. Couple of mates would describe their dust ups but it always sounded a lot like the pushy-shovey start and loud barking finish to me with minor fisticuffs in between. No real intent to murder.

Last edited:
My suspicion is that the most common form of drink "spiking" is simply a double or triple vodka administered to someone's drink. It might not be a sure ticket to nefarious purposes but it's a lot less traceable and, as we have seen, likely to be dismissed by the police.

If you can't taste a triple vodka and the increased alcohol level in your pint, it's time to lay off the Brasso and
Toilet Duck chasers then go have your tongue resurfaced. If you can and drink it anyway, that's on you.

Lebs and Porras were an ongoing battle. Never really hung around in discos and the like so totally unaffected by their stupidity. Couple of mates would describe their dust ups but it always sounded a lot like the pushy-shovey start and loud barking finish to me with minor fisticuffs in between. No real intent to murder.
How do you recognise Lebanese at the gym?
16 guys around one punch bag...

Tool

LE
At the time, it was a bit more than pushy-shovey, but that also lasted a very short time. There were a few serious assaults, but the communities and Polis stomped down very hard and quickly to stop it.

As Capt Dougal mentions, 16-on-1 was the Leb norm. At about the 5-on-1 ratio, you could expect trouble. Smaller than that, no issues.

Krelsea

Old-Salt
Just because sometimes it’s put down as ‘having too much to drink’ doesnt mean it always is.

About 15 years ago my ex had gone out for a few with her mates. She was always rather good at holding her drink so I was shocked when I got a call at about 1am telling me she was in A&E.

so I turn up and am informed that she’d had too much to drink by her mates and the staff. When I finally got to see her it was clear as mud that was the case. She was just a sitting there completely out of it like a zombie dribbling out the corner of her mouth.(I’ve seen her pissed and this was not that at all). I spoke to the nurses and was slapped down again and told clearly just alcohol so they did no tests etc.

She finally got some normality back into her by about 10 the next morning. Got her home and the next morning when she was fully with it she told me where they’d been drinking. One of the bar staff was on my footie team so I popped round to have a word. It was a small place and he’d been working alone and knowing who she was he’d kept an eye out. She’s definitely only had 3 all night and was fine one minute then all of a sudden out of it and one of the lads in there was caught ‘walking her to the toilets’ before he was stopped and dealt with.

I got a drink spiked at a party mid 90s.

I could hold my drink but never liked being really drunk so never really went for it. Second vodka of the night and I just went to shit and started puking my ring out and all sorts of bad reactions.

Two mates got me home and made sure I was alright.

The party was the brother of a neighbour and he was livid about the state his house was left in by some tit puking everywhere, I told her (my neighbour) that was me because some piece of crap had spiked my drink. I saw the brother a couple of days later and he had a go at me and when I mentioned my drink being spiked he just grinned and said "Oh, right, probably just someone having fun at your expense" that was enough of a confession for me so I hacked his legs out from under him and kicked some sense into him. He was a mess for a long time after that and it did make me smile to see him.

The lack of any repercussions from the law let me know I had the right person.

I'm not a big fan of people who spike drinks.

Edit to add.

Talking to someone who knew a lot more about drugs than me some years later, I told him the symptoms and he said it sounded like a fairly big hit of speed. Not just deeply unpleasant but possibly dangerous as I didn't do drugs so had no tolerance and because it was mixed in with a spirit, vodka. Very happy the twat who did it deserved the kicking for doing that to anyone and to be honest with you if they are taking it themselves to feel like that there is something really bloody wrong with them in the first place.

Last edited:
I guess guys could be a target as well not only by a gay rapist but a thief who's taken a fancy to your Rolex and wallet.

in colchester the local neds were spiking lads drinks because they new about CDTs and that if a squaddie got caught with drugs in his system he was likely to be kicked out the Army

Latest Threads