Drink Driving

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by blonde_guy, Nov 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Driving bans will only affect some jobs i have no idea how it would affect you as an officer i wouldn't imagine it'd be a great deal but that's just imo.
  2. Honestly don't have a clue mate. It'll be different for different situations. Go to the careers office and explain to them that you realise what you did was stupid and that you fcuked up and hope for the best.
  3. Depends on how they look at things, the rules were clearly set out but you broke them!!
  4. Banned for drink driving makes you in eligble for the Army
  5. Good, and i for one have no sympathy for you. And before anyone says "moment of stupidity but....". If you knew that you were joining the Army and as an Officer you should of taken it upon yourself to make sure you were bullet proof. You were not so suffer the consequences.

6. Well, you do now have a "criminal record" and so this has to be declared to the guys in the careers office as you now can't drive, best advice I can give is for you to put your name forward for the Alcohol awareness course they should have offered you at the court. A 3 day course that knocks of 25% of your ban, assuming you got banned for 2 years which is the usual maximum you should have your license back in just over a year.

That way you give the guys in the careers office a definite date of when you'll be driving again and make the point that between now and then you'll be under training and so don't have to drive anyway.

If the recruiters are honest they will know loads of people in the Forces who have a drink drive conviction so they may treat you leniently.
  7. Im pretty sure this guy is quite an authoritive voice on this one.

The only sympathy drink driving gets from me, is when its consoling a friends family that has just been mowed down by a drink driver.
  8. He is...but not on fuel!! :wink:
  9. Guys, quite right, not looking for sympathy etc, was genuinely trying to work out how this affects my future plans; I was in the wrong no going back on that, but no use drifting on past deeds, I need to move on.
  10. Does the Army website not have a chat feature which allows you to ask any questions you may have on application? Try them I say, I imagine they may be in the know on military policy in regard to recruiting officers lacking social responsibility.
  11. Back in the day when I tried to join, I still had 1 month left of my D&D driving ban. As I had a conviction, I was told to come back a month later, when my ban had run out.
    I went back a month later, and eventually signed on the dotted line, no problem.
    I don't know if it's different for Officers, as IMO they should be held to higher standards than the rest of us mere mortals.
    Hope this helps.
  12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

It makes you a cunt, nothing more nothing less!!
  13. I can forsee the answer being in the following guise.......

14. Take a risk and don't declare it, or wait for the offence to be spent.