Drink driving

Bin drink drivers

• Bin them

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • Don't bin them

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters
Is it time for the MoD to instigate a zero tolerance approach to Drink Driving?

I personally feel that yes it should (get caught = get binned). If you can't handle the concept of drinking and not driving are responsible enough for the armed forces?

Will doing this will send out a strong message akin to CDT failure=career over?

Ready to be torn apart by the intelligentsia of arrse.

I personally feel that yes it should (get caught = get binned). If you can't handle the concept of drinking and not driving are responsible enough for the armed forces?

To many seniors/officers wouldnt have a job.
Also if your job didnt involve driving would it be fair to lose your job?

I'd like to see it happen but I doubt it ever will, despite all the money and time spent on drink driving education, the MOD is too spineless.

Noob question from a Stab: What happens to regs who get adriving ban for those who's trade is say an RLC driver or requires signficant amounts of driving. Obvious for Stabs you'd just have to switch units/trade but what happens for regs if a driving ban means they can't do their job for a year or more?

Noob question from a Stab: What happens to regs who get adriving ban for those who's trade is say an RLC driver or requires signficant amounts of driving. Obvious for Stabs you'd just have to switch units/trade but what happens for regs if a driving ban means they can't do their job for a year or more?
Get sent to do a job that doesn't involve driving.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT

Depends which side of the fence you're on...

If you're mates with a good egg who you've known for years and somehow he gets caught morning after the night before by the twat copper who parks up deliberately outside your barracks to catch squaddies (like they'd tolerate a copper from another county sat outside their county constabulary HQ...) then you'd probably feel losing their license / lack of promotion / higher car insurance for years is punishment enough.

Then again, if you've lost a son / daughter / sibling etc because of the actions of some nosher who got behind the wheel then you'd probably want to throw the book at them, never to darken the doorstep of H Maj's ever shrinking Forces again...

But to avoid getting splinters in my arrse, I'd have to say leave it as it is. If anything must change, I'd aim it at prevention as opposed to the cure. No matter how hard you throw a book at someone, it's never going to bring back people from the dead is it?

But from what I've seen in the latter part of my military career - most of the younger generation snub the old drinking in favour of Op MASSIVE anyways.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Get sent to do a job that doesn't involve driving.
Post them to the Guards for the duration of their ban. As the saying goes that will learn them!

But from what I've seen in the latter part of my military career - most of the younger generation snub the old drinking in favour of Op MASSIVE anyways.
You must be in the gay part of the army, all my boys can drink, it the older generation of miserable bastards that are trying to stop them.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
And further more every case has to be taken on its individual merits.

Even coppers didn't automatically get the boot, a fair few did but not all.

It depends on whether the guilty member was just over the limit didn't kick off with the police no accident and pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity then maybe a posting to the guards is acceptable.

However if you are also involved in a RTC and more than twice over the limit and kick off with the police plead not guilty and generally act the twat then yes get rid.

They used to lose trade pay, I knew a bloke who went from class 1 LCpl to class 3 tom in the same month he took over a married quarter, his pay was next to **** all. (In hindsight the COs driver should not be driving the CO's official car for his own use, never mind when drunk). I don't know what happen with the new pay system (Soldier no longer go up increment levels when they do an upgrade course).
They sometimes get a promotion ban, I saw one of my phase one training screw who lost her licence (and her original trade was a Trog) she was wearing Major rank so it doesnt always do people much harm.

They sometimes get a promotion ban, I saw one of my phase one training screw who lost her licence (and her original trade was a Trog) she was wearing Major rank so it doesnt always do people much harm.
Now I come to think of it there was a SSgt in 2LSR (the boxing coach) who got bust from SSgt to LCpl for driving while pissed although I dont know how pissed he was.

I voted not to bin for one simple reason. We read quite often in the newspapers, that some salesman or estate agent didn't get a driving ban, despite being well over the limit, because it would spoil their career. While there are some areas that soldiers should perhaps be judged more severely than their civilian peers, this is definitely not one of them.

Showing a lack of judgement in any specific niche area, such as drink driving, normally doesn't mean that that carries over into your whole life. If it did, then we would all have been hung for something by now.

Just to be clear, I have never done drink driving and never would. Mainly because I like living and have far too much self-respect.

Reassign as drink driving instructors. "By your third lesson, you'll be mounting the kerb and taxiing gently into a lamppost after 8 cans of Stella". First lesson and three large Jack Daniels free.

You lazy f*cking prick.

Should we grass drink drivers ?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I voted not to bin for one simple reason. We read quite often in the newspapers, that some salesman or estate agent didn't get a driving ban, despite being well over the limit, because it would spoil their career. While there are some areas that soldiers should perhaps be judged more severely than their civilian peers, this is definitely not one of them.

Showing a lack of judgement in any specific niche area, such as drink driving, normally doesn't mean that that carries over into your whole life. If it did, then we would all have been hung for something by now.

Just to be clear, I have never done drink driving and never would. Mainly because I like living and have far too much self-respect.
Id like to see a link if possible because drink driving carries a mandatory ban. Now been drunk in charge doesn't.
Under the toting up procedure for speeding a few have got away without a ban because of their jobs, perhaps you are unintentionally confusing the two?

Id like to see a link if possible because drink driving carries a mandatory ban. Now been drunk in charge doesn't.
Under the toting up procedure for speeding a few have got away without a ban because of their jobs, perhaps you are unintentionally confusing the two?
F*ck me. Is this something else to get aroused about instead of spazzy kids?

I know, not the NAAFI, but my part of the world.