Drink/Driving and joining army

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by gingerslime, Mar 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A mate of mine was arrested for drink driving last week and was looking to join the forces, his first choice was to join the RAF but they have told him that he would have to wait until his conviction was spent (ie 5 years) and the army careers office have told him he could only join as a clerk or infanteer, does anybody know if this ic correct?

2. a mate eh?

3. Not that i need to explain myself, but yes a mate, i've been in for well over 6 years now, so i wouldn't have a problem with getting in.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I've heard its no longer mandatory!

5. my bad but i am sure you can understand the whole 'my mate don this that and the other' situation

6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I would have thought that he'd be better off waiting to find out what the Mags give him before he worries overly about enlisting. If he has a decent brief and he can show that the breathalyser test wasn't performed correctly he might even get off (but I wouldn't count on it).

If he doesn't believe the AFCIO then perhaps he can pose his questions on-line to the Army's recruitment website.

All that beiung said, if you drink - don't drive.

7. he should join a transport regt, would fit right in there!!

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

When I returned to the UK in 84 it was a prevalent offence earning discharge in our Brigade and some lads tried it just to save PVR'ing. In our first month an RMP (Ibelieve) SSGT was done for this and let go!

9. The ACIO will have the official position but I will point out that, on the information you have provided, he has only been arrested. But I suspect that the Services will not touch him until due process has completed.

Get him to talk to the recruiters.

Litotes

10. I was denied entry when i had a d and d ban. I had to finish my ban then was aloud to re-apply. So depending on the ban length, that will tell him when he can join! (unless it has changed)

11. Infantry off the top of my head unless things have changed since i walked out of the office this evening, is the only option :)

As for the RAF i am not sure what they are on about there, in most cases and whilst it is a criminal offence, it is deemed a bar to entry only until such time as the ban is spent, certainly not the 5 year rehab period.

If you had only received a D & D offence and a ban then you would be eligible to apply for jobs that carried the requirement to drive as part of the trade as soon as the ban was lifted, 1 unspent conviction is not a bar to enlistment :)

And as Litotes has pointed out, any application to the Forces is put on hold or deferred whilst someone is under investigation or awaiting a court sentence, technically because he hasnt been to court yet he shouldnt apply :)

12. Thats strange, because I was applying for The Para's, and was told to come back when I had served my ban!?

13. Yes and how long ago did you reply? recruiting regulations change regularly ;)

14. I guess it was about 6 years ago!

15. well there you have it, for probably the last 2 years you have been able to join the Infantry whilst still serving a D&D ban ;)