Drink and driving in France

Just having a discussion and SWMBO Says that if I get done here in France, I will also lose my UK ONE.
Anyone know if this is true?
CheerGadge

Only one way to find out.

Just having a discussion and SWMBO Says that if I get done here in France, I will also lose my UK ONE.
CheerGadge
I will make an assumption as your question is not very clear. My assumption is you hold a UK EU style licence.

That being the case and you are driving with excess alcohol of ≥ 0.8 g/l in blood sample then you are open to 2 years imprisonment, a fine up to 4,500€ and a driving ban of 3 years. Your licence will be returned to the issuing authority for them to add any further sanctions they deem appropriate. Recently an Italian driver killed a pedestrian in Haute-Savoie whilst having a blood/alcohol reading of 2.92g/l and traveling at almost 300kmh. He was jailed for 9 years, fined 400,000€ and banned for life.

Today there is an electronic data exchange network which enables national authorities to identify drivers from other EU Member States.

I seem to recall some talk of extending driving bans throughout the EU but I don't think it's in yet.

Had a quick Google and found this:

If you're banned from driving in one country, that doesn't stop you driving elsewhere in Europe. Attempting to return to that country driving a vehicle, though, will lead to your arrest. However, according to the AA, drink driving convictions abroad do not affect your UK licence. They claim that even if your licence is confiscated abroad, the foreign government will simply send it to the DVLA, which will then return it to you without penalty!

Drink Driving Limits in Europe

That is not the way I wanted to find out!
cheers
Gadge

I will make an assumption as your question is not very clear. My assumption is you hold a UK EU style licence.

That being the case and you are driving with excess alcohol of ≥ 0.8 g/l in blood sample then you are open to 2 years imprisonment, a fine up to 4,500€ and a driving ban of 3 years. Your licence will be returned to the issuing authority for them to add any further sanctions they deem appropriate. Recently an Italian driver killed a pedestrian in Haute-Savoie whilst having a blood/alcohol reading of 2.92g/l and traveling at almost 300kmh. He was jailed for 9 years, fined 400,000€ and banned for life.

Today there is an electronic data exchange network which enables national authorities to identify drivers from other EU Member States.
The WEFA queen of google has spoken. No point in any more additional posts

"Just ask yourself, what would EMSAV recommend..."

That's how I thought it worked as to be banned in UK as well seems like double jeopardy.
but SWMBO knows best.
Cheers
Gadge

Recently an Italian driver killed a pedestrian in Haute-Savoie whilst having a blood/alcohol reading of 2.92g/l and traveling at almost 300kmh. He was jailed for 9 years, fined 400,000€ and banned for life.
In his defence, he may have believed he was killing you, you boring, rotten-cunted bag of sceptic detritus.

I thought it was compulsory.

UK doesn't participate in the data exchange.

You won't get speeding tickets from France either, unless you're stopped by the Gendarmes.

Alsacien

MIA
CheerGadge
There are some caveats, assuming you got your Frog license using your UK one.

I recently picked up a month ban in Germany and sent them a UK license, a quick check revealed that although I have "spare" licenses in other countries, if I had an accident or got pulled on a serious offense license validity could be verified EU wide. Bottom line - insurance would be invalid due to a license being invalid. So I sucked it up as I got injured while I was thinking about what to do anyway.

If you get pulled for D&D or a serious motoring offense [one of] your license will be confiscated, so you could blag a cursory check or on the spot speeding fine with a "spare", but if you put yourself/passenger/innocent third party in a wheelchair for life, you'll likely be paying for it for life.....

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the breaks but I am using an IPhone.
I am/was talking about 2 pints of beer rather than having been on a bender.
cheers
gadge

CheerGadge
Do you have two driving licences? One from the UK and one from France?

If only the one then you will only be banned in the country you commit the offence in.

Now it gets complicated though.

If you are banned in France and have only a French licence then you are in effect banned everywhere.
Same deal with a UK one in the UK.

So the answer is "it depends". :)

Well it has been known that a Brit in France told DVLA they had lost their licence and had a new one sent out. Then they swapped the first UK licence for a French one. Thereby holding two. This has probably been tightened up. It was not me I hasten to add, I swapped my UK one for a French one a long time ago.

Latest Threads