Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drilling through a lintel

Admittedly this is taken from the internet and is not from my own experience but it is indicative of how a lintel may be constructed, other methods may be available especially as used by dodgy/cowboy builders.

https://www.naylor.co.uk/public/2019/02/Lintels-Specifiers-Guide-0219.pdf.
And there's also:

A lot of old houses in Yorkshire have sandstone lintels, built before the days of structural steel.
Ahem,
I've read enough already...
Over on the Right side 'ut Pennines, it's
Header brick arches if you please!
Real craftsmanship.

I could post pictures but you'd only get into a lather!
No Nails is great. The problem comes when the No Nails is stronger than the surface(s) you’re applying it to. The goo will hold any amount of weight, Will the plaster/board behind it?

It‘s like when you hang a heavy framed mirror and put in two good fixings of appropriate design for the wall in question and when you turn your back your Mrs puts some fine picture hanging wire on it and hangs the mirror.

Fast forward to 0300 when the wire that’s been quietly stretching finally gives out. You then get to sweep up half a ton of very fine antique mirror glass shards, about 45,000 of them as it’s not safety glass. You can keep this up for years.

As a bonus, you get to lift ALL the laminate flooring as the mirror took a great gouge out of the last but one board which of course you laid such that the tongue and groove type joints start at the OTHER end of the room. Don’t forget to remove the skirting board on all sides, all the way down as you installed that AFTER you’d laid the floor to hide the fixing tacks and make a neat job. Then remember you didn’t need to take the skirting off the last wall as you didn’t need to lift the last board.

Swear loudly.

Put it all back together. Buy new skirting because it all split because you did the job properly with screws and No Nails, loads of it, Re plaster, re paint, try and ignore the fact the replaced board is a different shade as it’s not sun bleached like all the others.

Get a divorce.
Or...
Buy a rug!

Ahem,
Real craftsmanship.

Or...
Buy a rug!

Often in these modern times, and appropriately for this website, often called a soldier course!

wheel

LE
That is interesting. The original curtain poles were hung just a couple of inches above the window frame. I wonder if I put the new poles above there I would avoid the lintels entirely.
Your DIY knowledge appears to be worse than mine and that takes some doing. ;)

wheel

LE
No Nails is great. The problem comes when the No Nails is stronger than the surface(s) you’re applying it to. The goo will hold any amount of weight, Will the plaster/board behind it?

It‘s like when you hang a heavy framed mirror and put in two good fixings of appropriate design for the wall in question and when you turn your back your Mrs puts some fine picture hanging wire on it and hangs the mirror.

Fast forward to 0300 when the wire that’s been quietly stretching finally gives out. You then get to sweep up half a ton of very fine antique mirror glass shards, about 45,000 of them as it’s not safety glass. You can keep this up for years.

As a bonus, you get to lift ALL the laminate flooring as the mirror took a great gouge out of the last but one board which of course you laid such that the tongue and groove type joints start at the OTHER end of the room. Don’t forget to remove the skirting board on all sides, all the way down as you installed that AFTER you’d laid the floor to hide the fixing tacks and make a neat job. Then remember you didn’t need to take the skirting off the last wall as you didn’t need to lift the last board.

Swear loudly.

Put it all back together. Buy new skirting because it all split because you did the job properly with screws and No Nails, loads of it, Re plaster, re paint, try and ignore the fact the replaced board is a different shade as it’s not sun bleached like all the others.

Get a divorce.
My Mrs fixed a six peg coat hanging rail up with no nails. Two days later gravity won. I had to re plaster a wall in the cupboard under the stairs. All because she was too impatient to wait six months for me to get around to doing it.

Often in these modern times, and appropriately for this website, often called a soldier course!
Th'owd fella refers to 'em as such.
I've just knocked two out to install a pair of internal double doors.....
"The mortar is only to hold the bricks apart" is another quote of his...
By feck they've taken some disassembly, considering.
I've also found an internal timber lintel, the house is mid 1800's so the timber would probably have started growing in the 1700's....

You can tell!

Ahem,
Real craftsmanship.

Or...
Buy a rug!
On the civilised side of the Pennines.

This is generally true but then I had to go to Liverpool the other day....

The edge of the dull pain that elicited was taken off going in to Lime Street station where there are some spectacular displays of the bricklayer’s art in great lengths and heights of brick lined cuttings in beautiful blue brick.

Holmes Chapel viaduct is on my way into work and seeing that against the quintessential English scenery backdrop, especially at dawn changes the shape of your day for the better. Stockport viaduct is similar but with a backdrop of, well, Stockport.

Bugger all to do with putting up curtains of course but I bet the lads that put that lot up didn’t run an internet discussion lasting 6 pages! They just got on with it.

And then got pissed and had a fight.

On the civilised side of the Pennines.

This is generally true but then I had to go to Liverpool the other day....

The edge of the dull pain that elicited was taken off going in to Lime Street station where there are some spectacular displays of the bricklayer’s art in great lengths and heights of brick lined cuttings in beautiful blue brick.

Holmes Chapel viaduct is on my way into work and seeing that against the quintessential English scenery backdrop, especially at dawn changes the shape of your day for the better. Stockport viaduct is similar but with a backdrop of, well, Stockport.

Bugger all to do with putting up curtains of course but I bet the lads that put that lot up didn’t run an internet discussion lasting 6 pages! They just got on with it.

And then got pissed and had a fight.
I decided t'was a sign of the onset of Middle Age when I started appreciating the Craftsmanship in brickwork..

( That and using words like 't'was')

Pissed I can do.
Fighting.... I was a better sprinter!

If your anywhere near Motherwell i can lend you a transformer.

Was going to say Trannie but you might have got the wrong idea

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, if you need to put a hole in the steel, Sir could use this

View attachment 524567
A bit over the top. I think the OP should get arse down the gym and invest in one of these. A good masonry bit will see him right and a nice cuppa will be well deserved.

7D6BE521-03E3-4B12-A832-2585EDCEA178.jpeg

Or alternatively try a dab of blue tack and put the bungalow on the market.

A bit over the top. I think the OP should get arse down the gym and invest in one of these. A good masonry bit will see him right and a nice cuppa will be well deserved.

View attachment 524794
Or alternatively try a dab of blue tack and put the bungalow on the market.
A true professional would use the tool specifically designed for the job. A Rawldrill and 4lb hammer.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Not forgetting those words of encouragement, “get in there you fecker”.
Followed by “oooooowwwwwww you utter, utter, bastaaaaaaarrrrrd” on hammer / cuticle interface being achieved.

If he‘s having a really good day he’ll involuntarily fling his arms out, release the hammer at Mach 9 and achieve patio door window or Ming vase / hammer interface.

Many thanks for the responses on this. At the suggestion of @Daz I went and got a Titan SDS drill which went through the lintel very easily using only 40% of it's power.
IMG_0091.jpg

Quite a bargain from Screwfix; 1500w hammer drill, 3m cable, conventional drill chuck and a number of sds drills/chisels, all for £60!

IMG_0092.jpg

Much appreciated.

MM

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Great to see you got the job done, fella! Much admiration indeed.
I hope you and those you hold dear and cherish are safe, well and healthy.
All the best for Christmas and New Year, mo chara!

MsG

Great to see you got the job done, fella! Much admiration indeed.
I hope you and those you hold dear and cherish are safe, well and healthy.
All the best for Christmas and New Year, mo chara!

MsG
Many thanks, same to you. MM

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads