Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drilling through a lintel

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh yer, forgot about that - was that whilst he was standing in for a Olympic runner and just happened to break several world and national records 'by accident' with no training other than a mug of builders tea and a couple of untipped woodies?
Alf Tupper walt.

Daz

LE
Oh yer, forgot about that - was that whilst he was standing in for a Olympic runner and just happened to break several world and national records 'by accident' with no training other than a mug of builders tea and a couple of untipped woodies?
Alf Tupper Walt

Daz

LE
There is some utter mince being stated in this thread on the subject of lintels.
I'll second that. It's clear that many of the contributors haven't had a close look at a lintel, much less seen one being made or fitted.

Going cordless?
Go big or go home....
View attachment 524563
Not mine but the same as mine, has rotation stop for use with SDS chisels which is great for chopping holes in walls for sockets etc.
Oh, it'll put holes in steel reinforced lintels as well (BTW, 'Rebar' is a particular type of steel reinforcing, most lintels have plain old drawn steel wire in 'em).

bhr200, 3 mode hammer drill from the early 2000's 2Ah battery's fail early & thats the cheaper charger with no fan

mine about had it but will still do 12mm x though a floor & punch the steel out too

its refused to do a 50mm core though the same floor I'm having a go with 2kg 110v on monday

I've a shiny 18v dewalt xr with 5ah's to replace it & shiny combo drill & impact driver, I will take 'em to work when I get shiny new dewalt box & finshed working away & leaving stuff locked in cupboard ;)

there's little to no change of finding the bar in concrete lintel when fitting curtains

new 1/2 decent drill bit in a percussion drill... if won't have if buy a cheap 240v mains machine

lube - sds works much better greased they slide up & down the chuck ;)

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
bhr200, 3 mode hammer drill from the early 2000's 2Ah battery's fail early & thats the cheaper charger with no fan

mine about had it but will still do 12mm x though a floor & punch the steel out too

its refused to do a 50mm core though the same floor I'm having a go with 2kg 110v on monday

I've a shiny 18v dewalt xr with 5ah's to replace it & shiny combo drill & impact driver, I will take 'em to work when I get shiny new dewalt box & finshed working away & leaving stuff locked in cupboard ;)
It's an internet picture as an example.... Mine has the better charger with the fan (I know it's got the fan, as does everyone within 50 metres) but you're right with the vintage, batteries are 'OK' but not great for their age.
I could've gone 110v kit with a Metabo 1010W SDS which is great for controlled drilling in most materials and a Hilti SDS-MAX power tool version of a .50 BMG as far as walls & concrete are concerned but they're probably overkill for a curtain rail....

You could take the easy option and glue a timber batten across the wall (on sound plaster) using one of the modern no nails type instant grab adhesives and then fix your pole brackets to that. As long as the plaster is sound and the curtains aren't of stately home drapes weight....

Cheers, mucka, you've just helped me out with a DIY problem; not for curtains, but similar.

Will 'No Nails' be sufficient. - I didn't think it would be strong enough to hang curtains from?
No Nails is great. The problem comes when the No Nails is stronger than the surface(s) you’re applying it to. The goo will hold any amount of weight, Will the plaster/board behind it?

It‘s like when you hang a heavy framed mirror and put in two good fixings of appropriate design for the wall in question and when you turn your back your Mrs puts some fine picture hanging wire on it and hangs the mirror.

Fast forward to 0300 when the wire that’s been quietly stretching finally gives out. You then get to sweep up half a ton of very fine antique mirror glass shards, about 45,000 of them as it’s not safety glass. You can keep this up for years.

As a bonus, you get to lift ALL the laminate flooring as the mirror took a great gouge out of the last but one board which of course you laid such that the tongue and groove type joints start at the OTHER end of the room. Don’t forget to remove the skirting board on all sides, all the way down as you installed that AFTER you’d laid the floor to hide the fixing tacks and make a neat job. Then remember you didn’t need to take the skirting off the last wall as you didn’t need to lift the last board.

Swear loudly.

Put it all back together. Buy new skirting because it all split because you did the job properly with screws and No Nails, loads of it, Re plaster, re paint, try and ignore the fact the replaced board is a different shade as it’s not sun bleached like all the others.

Get a divorce.

964ST

Old-Salt
No Nails is great. The problem comes when the No Nails is stronger than the surface(s) you’re applying it to. The goo will hold any amount of weight, Will the plaster/board behind it?

It‘s like when you hang a heavy framed mirror and put in two good fixings of appropriate design for the wall in question and when you turn your back your Mrs puts some fine picture hanging wire on it and hangs the mirror.

Fast forward to 0300 when the wire that’s been quietly stretching finally gives out. You then get to sweep up half a ton of very fine antique mirror glass shards, about 45,000 of them as it’s not safety glass. You can keep this up for years.

As a bonus, you get to lift ALL the laminate flooring as the mirror took a great gouge out of the last but one board which of course you laid such that the tongue and groove type joints start at the OTHER end of the room. Don’t forget to remove the skirting board on all sides, all the way down as you installed that AFTER you’d laid the floor to hide the fixing tacks and make a neat job. Then remember you didn’t need to take the skirting off the last wall as you didn’t need to lift the last board.

Swear loudly.

Put it all back together. Buy new skirting because it all split because you did the job properly with screws and No Nails, loads of it, Re plaster, re paint, try and ignore the fact the replaced board is a different shade as it’s not sun bleached like all the others.

Get a divorce.
Unless it’s rhetorical?
So you based your divorce on the use of some „misuse of fine picture hanging wire“ ?

Respect! you have some Very strong principles.

Latest Threads