Drilling begins in Portsmouth for arrival of Navy's latest carriers

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Feb 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Justa small thing, but those pictures you've put up are of the now extinct STVOL version.
  3. Didn't Prince Charles say that the HMS PoW should be called the Ark Royal instead?
  4. LargeImageTemplate artist's impression of HMS Queen Elizabeth berthed in Portsmouth Naval Base
    Are they planes?
  5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Clearly that's a picture of HMS Queen Elizabeth - there's not catapult or traps and she's got fake aircraft on her decks to fool Chinese spy satellites.
  6. I seem to remember a Yank carrier having to anchor offshore in the early 80s because it was too big to get into Pompey.
  7. I had a similar problem with a rat I picked up in Johanna's
  8. Feck me, I was just writing about that place.
  9. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Quick - Google Earth it. :-D
  10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I assume the drilling is needed to get through the layer of discarded plates and cutlery 'lost' over the side by every gangway watch since time began.
  12. Luc Vigneron has already made an offer for it
  13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Don't believe everything you read in the papers. HMNB Portsmouth is not owned by BAE but they manage the maintenance contracts for the ships. They can't close that down as they have a contract for which they're liable. And it makes money for them. The bit they're denying intending to close (for which read "gone by May") is the shipbuilding parts that they bought from VT. It's fundamentally the papers not understanding the differnce between a dockyard - great big area for putting and fixing ships - and a shipyard - slightly smaller place (these days) for making ships. BAE's shipyard sits inside Portsmouth Dockyard.
  14. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Actually I think it's BAe rattling its collecting tin in the hope that Govt will hear.

As to the big USN carriers, they always anchor off in Spithead when visiting.