Drill, shouting and all things parade ground..

Serious head on:

Like officers who seem to exist in an England that does not exist anymore. Like SNCOs who exist for the frill of pedantic drill that adds nothing to the safety and protection of the United Kingdom and junior ranks who are run ragged for 12 -18 hours a day at the behest of the aforementioned officers and SNCOs but whose duties add nothing to the peace and security of our country.

Don't get me wrong, in the right place and the right MOD budget the side show of the Guards Brigade does wonders for British tourism but what does it add to the actual job of the army to defend our country?

I live in Cheshire and work in Staffordshire, both counties that have lost their historic regiments due to defence cuts but were their soldiers worse or less professional than any of the guard regiments? No.

Would any young officer be a worse officer if they left Sandhurst without the 44 weeks of guards standard drill rammed down their necks? No.

Would passed out Phase 1 soldiers not be any good if they could not drill to the standards taught by drill instructors trained by the Guards? No.

Are the regiments of the Household Division far better soldiers then any other regiment or corps? No.

So the Household Division perhaps does not actually add anything to what the army should be doing, other than stuff that could be sponsored by Disney, if they want to exist in these pinching penny times, and being guards they do not help themselves by thinking they are somehow special ?

Controversial but I will just put it out there to be discuss.
As an outsider my experience has been that Guards (both foot and horse) Officers are far less 'up themselves' and stuck in the past than those of line Cavalry Regiments.

As an outsider my experience has been that Guards (both foot and horse) Officers are far less 'up themselves' and stuck in the past than those of line Cavalry Regiments.
Seems the Guards will take anyone. Cavalry takes breeding. Or those who compete in “Upper Class Twit of the Year”. And lose.

As observed, and confirmed, by my son, now a former Officer of Gurkhas.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
if you spoke boxhead to a certain level, a roundel was shown on your arm,
Issued to Colloquialists and Linguists (and higher if there were any) for Crusader 80/Spearpoint explicitly. I'm not aware of them being issued before or after Spearpoint (I turned up for a week and aced my Colloquial (on the back of O-level Grade 1 German) in I think 79, Linguist in 80, but no cockade until the run-up to Spearpoint). Thinking about dates, it must have been for my Colloquial, because I didn't do my Linguist exam until after Spearpoint.

Transferred out. No order was ever issued to remove them, but by the time I left in 89 (having been out of BAOR four years) Orderly and Field Officers get ever more twitchy about them, what were they for, why was I wearing it, etc.

But then, having been cavalry it was in my blood to make my uniform non-uniform.

Issued to Colloquialists and Linguists (and higher if there were any) for Crusader 80/Spearpoint explicitly. I'm not aware of them being issued before or after Spearpoint (I turned up for a week and aced my Colloquial (on the back of O-level Grade 1 German) in I think 79, Linguist in 80, but no cockade until the run-up to Spearpoint). Thinking about dates, it must have been for my Colloquial, because I didn't do my Linguist exam until after Spearpoint.

Transferred out. No order was ever issued to remove them, but by the time I left in 89 (having been out of BAOR four years) Orderly and Field Officers get ever more twitchy about them, what were they for, why was I wearing it, etc.

But then, having been cavalry it was in my blood to make my uniform non-uniform.
After Spearpoint still being issued as I got mine early 90s and worn it until I left in the late 90s even outside BAOR and no one every questioned it or asked what it was for.

The aforementioned Albertous Junior is commissioning into a line cavalry regiment in a couple of months and he is not up himself at all, well unless you count thinking the obsession with drill adds very little practical benefit to 21st century soldiering as "up themselves and stuck in the past".

When are they going to embrace the 21st century?

Selfies by numbers - 3 cheers for XXX on Facebook - show i-pad/Andriod desktop tidied - pokey drill with selfie sticks.

IA drills on a laptop (laptop works - laptops stops - switch off - switch on - laptops works a few more times - laptop stops again - reinstall Windows) etc..

After Spearpoint still being issued as I got mine early 90s and worn it until I left in the late 90s even outside BAOR and no one every questioned it or asked what it was for.
Ich auch.

94/95 for me. I was very proud of that little badge, it took some earning for someone not married to a German bird.

On posting to UK, I thought nothing of it, it had been there a few years by then. SSM insisted I took it off. While it may not have had much relevance in Blandford, it was at least something my trainees could aspire to on posting to Germany. R SIGNALS SSM being a cōck. How unusual :)

During the mid 80's I worked with a Major from a Jock regiment. He told me that he'd been on a staff college type course in the USA in the 70s. During a conversation at a social event he'd jokingly told his hosts (while keeping a straight face) that his regimental march was Souza's Liberty Bell.

At the end of the course they had a parade during which the US Army band played the regimental marches of the foreign students when they received their qualification from the visiting VIP or whoever... :)
Liberty Bell has a very special place in the hearts of British people of a certain era, including the raspberry!

I had to smile when reading Gene Kranz's autobiography. Who he? He was the Flight Director in mission control when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. He loved military marching band music and he said that on the drive into mission control on that morning, he played Liberty Bell on his car stereo in order to get him in the right frame of mind to put American's on the moon.

Two nations divided by a common music.

Liberty Bell has a very special place in the hearts of British people of a certain era, including the raspberry!

I had to smile when reading Gene Kranz's autobiography. Who he? He was the Flight Director in mission control when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. He loved military marching band music and he said that on the drive into mission control on that morning, he played Liberty Bell on his car stereo in order to get him in the right frame of mind to put American's on the moon.

And now I have a vision of the It's Man lurching out of a lunar crater towards Armstrong.

When 22nd signal regiment was reinstated at Stafford, the music struck up, and the regiment marched on to the " March of the gladiators" more than a few ignoramus in the civvie audience started to laugh.
(It was used as the play out music, in the goon shows of the 50's, on the old steam powered wireless.)

When 22nd signal regiment was reinstated at Stafford, the music struck up, and the regiment marched on to the " March of the gladiators" more than a few ignoramus in the civvie audience started to laugh.
(It was used as the play out music, in the goon shows of the 50's, on the old steam powered wireless.)
Had a quick Google of that.

Why do I (also) associate the beginning with the procession inside a Circus "big top" ?!

Had a quick Google of that.

Why do I (also) associate the beginning with the procession inside a Circus "big top" ?!

Correct, I forgot about that, its the music used in the circus for the opening big parade, jugglers, elephants, trapeze artists, performing horses, and clowns, these days it could be also be played before any news being broadcast about that shower of shit in Westminster, seems appropriate!

I remember they were quite common in the 80's but I don't recall seeing any after about 2000...

Didn't you have to complete a short language course to get one?

Those who don't like drill, can't do drill :-D